State of the HDHomeRun Apps on various devices.

ATSC 3.0 Forum
ejohannes

State of the HDHomeRun Apps on various devices.

Post by ejohannes »

It would be nice to have some postings listing the state of the HDHomeRun viewing apps for the various devices/platforms for viewing HEVC/3.0 content.
I know that that the app on my windows PC has been updated and works. It also works on my LG TV, but doesn't work on my firestick and iPhone.

Perhaps an list/table, maybe sticky posting, that tracks the status of HVEC viewing for each platform and if they don't support/have issues an approximate time frame as to when it will be updated to support.

Alderem

Re: State of the HDHomeRun Apps on various devices.

Post by Alderem »

Seconded.

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74422 and viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74432 collectively contain the most recent information, but a routinely maintained sticky message would be easier for folks to find. Appreciate the staff's responsiveness on this forum even as-is, though!

skriefal

Post by skriefal »

My contribution:

The Android app on a Google Chromecast with Google TV crashes and burns when tuning to an ATSC 3.0 channel. The default/first channel in the SLC market is an ATSC 3.0 channel which makes this effectively unusable.

The app on a Roku Ultra works but most ATSC 3.0 channels are shown with incorrect aspect ratio. And no audio - but I believe that's a limitation of my (and perhaps all current) A/V receivers.

ejohannes

Post by ejohannes »

Are there any updates on progress being made on the various viewing apps supporting the 3.0 streams. My IOS devices and fireTV stick still don't seem to support them. Only my PC and LG TV.

Alderem

Post by Alderem »

Latest update on apps was included here: 30 Oct 2020
nickk wrote:Apps

The 20201030 release for Mac supports ATSC3 with audio on 2018+ series MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models running Mac OS 10.15+.

Today we submitted apps with ATSC3 playback support for Android, FireTV, iOS, and AppleTV. Audio playback support depends on the hardware device.
The referenced iOS update became available on the App Store yesterday afternoon. Remember, you can force iOS to check for app updates by clicking your profile icon at upper right in the App Store, and pulling downward on the “Account” window that appears.

ejohannes

Post by ejohannes »

I did get the IOS app updated on my ipad and iphone. It does play video now on my live and recordings for 3.0 stations, sadly there doesn't seem to be any sound with the video.
Still waiting for the pushing out of the update on my fireTV, so far its still only seeing the version from June.