ATSC 3.0: Nashville TN OTA

ATSC 3.0 Forum
xmguy

Re: ATSC 3.0: Nashville TN OTA

Post by xmguy »

jasonl wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm
xmguy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:10 pm Here is what the scan shows. I’ve ordered the Televes antenna Tyler talked about in his Antenna Man video. I’m going to give that a try.
Waste of time and money. You need the biggest antenna you can get with the most height you can get to have any chance. That little dinker is even worse than what you have now.
That may be. I’ll try and see what happens. I can always return it. I don’t understand why you’re so negative about all this. Hating on the 3020, the Televes. I need the biggest I can get for VHF, not UHF. I’ve gotten good UHF from a home-made antenna before. Since it’s the size of the waves. I need height that’s true, but I will do what I can hope it improves, if not, go from there.

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree »

I have experience with antennas and installation of MATV in the middle TN area. I'd like to comment on your reception problem.
The 3020 is a pretty good antenna, but@15ft, its not high enough to over come the terrain. Go to tvfool.com and look at distance/terrain map to get a recommendation for height. It will also help you to understand why WKRN is harder to get than WSM from McMinnville. I agree that there are better antennas than the 3020. The good news is, none of them are particularly expensive. I recommend you put your money in a higher mast system. Check you're using good quality RG6 cable/connectors without splices or splitters everywhere. A decent RF amp is $50 or so, I would estimate 20-40 dB should get you a shot. Good luck.

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

LeeTheTree wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:45 am I have experience with antennas and installation of MATV in the middle TN area. I'd like to comment on your reception problem.
The 3020 is a pretty good antenna, but@15ft, its not high enough to over come the terrain. Go to tvfool.com and look at distance/terrain map to get a recommendation for height. It will also help you to understand why WKRN is harder to get than WSM from McMinnville. I agree that there are better antennas than the 3020. The good news is, none of them are particularly expensive. I recommend you put your money in a higher mast system. Check you're using good quality RG6 cable/connectors without splices or splitters everywhere. A decent RF amp is $50 or so, I would estimate 20-40 dB should get you a shot. Good luck.
Using very HQ RG-6. A few barrel connectors. Preamp from Radio shack. No splits. I can't go higher though. Not much more than about maybe 20' above ground. I have no way to get an antenna higher without a pro. I'm relocating the antenna slightly to clear some trees close to the antenna itself (pictured below). Where I have a path between trees close to the antenna itself. This will be on the ridge of my roof line on a 40" pole. So I'm guessing about 16' off the ground. But as shown below I'm hoping the lack of as many trees will help, then being the antenna is better at UHF (Televes). My current CM3020 is home-made with two poles inside each other, clamped together in a telescoping fashion. I could keep that going maybe 5' or so, add guy wires. But I don't know when it becomes too unstable then.

Where on tvfool tells me what height I should have?

This is my current antenna and direction/terrain.

This is my planned NEW direction/terrain. Same direction, but less trees in the way right up at the antenna.

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

Upon looking at the station profiles, WSMV is 47K kW where WKRN is 100K kW. They are close to each other too. I can try to get my antenna higher when I install the 41" J Pole on the roof line of my house. Extend it higher and buy some guy wires. But I just hope a better antenna, and less couplers in the line will help. My power inserter could be the issue too. My Radio Shack one went out, So I have been using a low end RCA one. Time will tell my friend. I do thank you for your helpful and kind feedback :)

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

TVFool is running on a highly outdated database from 2018 that doesn't reflect the changes made with the repack and is missing a bunch of stations since their import broke after the FCC made changes to their database layout to indicate spectrum sharing. Use the searchmap at Rabbitears instead.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

xmguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 pm That may be. I’ll try and see what happens. I can always return it. I don’t understand why you’re so negative about all this. Hating on the 3020, the Televes. I need the biggest I can get for VHF, not UHF. I’ve gotten good UHF from a home-made antenna before. Since it’s the size of the waves. I need height that’s true, but I will do what I can hope it improves, if not, go from there.
The 3020 sacrifices high VHF performance (which is what you need) to add low VHF (which you don't need). It's not terrible on high VHF, but it's not as good as an antenna that only does UHF and high VHF. On the UHF side, it was designed for when the UHF band still went up to channel 69, and has really bad performance on most channels below 30 as a result. Since UHF only goes up to channel 36 now, that's a fatal flaw. The Televes will be much worse on high VHF since it's just a dipole and reflector.

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

jasonl wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm
xmguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 pm That may be. I’ll try and see what happens. I can always return it. I don’t understand why you’re so negative about all this. Hating on the 3020, the Televes. I need the biggest I can get for VHF, not UHF. I’ve gotten good UHF from a home-made antenna before. Since it’s the size of the waves. I need height that’s true, but I will do what I can hope it improves, if not, go from there.
The 3020 sacrifices high VHF performance (which is what you need) to add low VHF (which you don't need). It's not terrible on high VHF, but it's not as good as an antenna that only does UHF and high VHF. On the UHF side, it was designed for when the UHF band still went up to channel 69, and has really bad performance on most channels below 30 as a result. Since UHF only goes up to channel 36 now, that's a fatal flaw. The Televes will be much worse on high VHF since it's just a dipole and reflector.
My plan is to keep them both. The Televes will be for UHF mainly. Since the ATSC 3.0 channels are on UHF and have all but my NBC, and I can get that ok now, I’ll use the CM3020 as is. I really need it for FM anyways.

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

The Televes is up and nice. But not high enough by a long shot. I ended up raising my CM3020 about 3 more feet, around 20' total. It helped a little. But not enough still to lock PLP1, only 0 or QAM16.