Working audio or video hardware

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Lost Dog

Working audio or video hardware

Post by Lost Dog »

I've seen scattered through different threads people who are giving reports of hardware/software success (or failure) on audio and visual for the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in their area. I thought it may be useful to have a thread to consolidate what people are seeing.

In my case for the PDX area:
  • Android OnePlus 7T phone, HDHomeRun App version 20201022: Video works, no AC-4 audio on any ATSC 3.0 stations
  • Amazon Firestick 4k, HDHomeRun app: No video or audio on ATSC 3.0 (it gives an error stating that it cannot decode audio and does not display video)
  • Linux Mint 20: Video plays fine using VLC, no audio on ATSC 3.0 stations
  • Roku 4 (4400X), HDHomeRun app: Video but no audio on ATSC 3.0 stations
Essentially, it's the AC-4 audio that is the issue on all my hardware.

1CallTech

Re: Working audio or video hardware

Post by 1CallTech »

Lost Dog wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:50 am I've seen scattered through different threads people who are giving reports of hardware/software success (or failure) on audio and visual for the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in their area. I thought it may be useful to have a thread to consolidate what people are seeing.

In my case for the PDX area:
  • Android OnePlus 7T phone, HDHomeRun App version 20201022: Video works, no AC-4 audio on any ATSC 3.0 stations
  • Amazon Firestick 4k, HDHomeRun app: No video or audio on ATSC 3.0 (it gives an error stating that it cannot decode audio and does not display video)
  • Linux Mint 20: Video plays fine using VLC, no audio on ATSC 3.0 stations
  • Roku 4 (4400X), HDHomeRun app: Video but no audio on ATSC 3.0 stations
Essentially, it's the AC-4 audio that is the issue on all my hardware.
After installing the new firmware 20201022 this morning, I now have everything working on the following LG 4K TV's:

UN6950ZUF (WebOS Version: 03.10.53)
UM6910PUA (WebOS Version: 04.80.30)
UM6910PUC (WebOS Version: 04.80.30)

I get a stable picture and sound using both the HDHomeRun app and the "Picture & Video" app that was pre-installed on the TV from LG. I'm in Las Vegas, NV and we have 3 stations using ATSC 3.0 (3.1, 8.1 and 13.1).

RG6er

Post by RG6er »

Santa Barbara Area. Using 20201023 update on my Mac and HDHR.

• Roku 3 - (non 4K) no video or audio
  • HDHR app on my Mac - Video, no Audio
I have a fire tablet I want to check later. Are there any streaming sticks that will decode the audio?

1CallTech

Post by 1CallTech »

RG6er wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 pm Santa Barbara Area. Using 20201023 update on my Mac and HDHR.

• Roku 3 - (non 4K) no video or audio
  • HDHR app on my Mac - Video, no Audio
I have a fire tablet I want to check later. Are there any streaming sticks that will decode the audio?
Here is a list of things I have tried that did not work. In some cases I could get video, but none of these will decode the AC-4 audio (yet). The LG 4K TV's are the only solution I've found that give me audio currently.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K (Using both the HDHomeRun app and the Roku Media Player app)
Apple TV (Using the HDHomeRun app)
Fire TV 4K (Using the HDHomeRun app)
Sony 4K TV's XBR-75X850D and XBR-55X850D (Using the HDHomeRun app and the Video app)
Windows 10 (Using HDHomeRun app and VLC)
Apple macOS Catalina (HDHomeRun app and VLC)

leonardobg

Post by leonardobg »

In addition to getting audio on a LG TV with new updated HDHR app I'm now also getting it on an XBOX.

1CallTech

Post by 1CallTech »

leonardobg wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:32 pm In addition to getting audio on a LG TV with new updated HDHR app I'm now also getting it on an XBOX.
The HDHR app on the XBOX One S does work with great picture and sound. Thank you for that!

I tried to use the video app on a PS4 (no HDHR app option) and that did not work on the new ATSC 3.0 channels. Still works on the old ATSC 1.0 channels. No big surprise there.

menkelis

Post by menkelis »

I have seen references that Windows-10 with 20201023 HD-homerun App works.
What does not work is if you have more that a single tuner box installed, as you
can't specify the box/tuner combo that is your ATSC 3.0 source.
Is there a chance for a 'dev' mode extension for the HD-homerun App to allow a stream
to be sent to it, like can be done using the config program when sending to VLC?
or a way to specify that I want to tune to 'boxXXXXX/tunerYYYYY/channelZZ?