ATSC 3.0 in Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Whizkid

ATSC 3.0 in Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Post by Whizkid »

Hey all,
First-time Silicon Dust customer here, and I ordered my HDHomerun Connect 4K yesterday!

I have not been much of a TV consumer before the pandemic, but I've been watching a lot of streaming lately. I recently hooked up the rooftop antenna that was already installed on my apartment, only to find it's so old that it's VHF-only, so it only gets RF channels 9 (FOX) and 11 (NBC). I have a new hi-VHF/UHF antenna ready to be installed as soon as the snow melts. In the mean time, I'm using a streaming service that feeds local broadcast channels.

1) I used a link I found here to look for FCC applications and didn't find anything active for any stations in Minnesota. Did I do that incorrectly?

2) Does anyone have news of ATSC 3.0 activity in Minnesota, especially the Twin Cities area?

SpiderJerusalem

Re: ATSC 3.0 in Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Post by SpiderJerusalem »

I'm in the metro and have the Connect 4K. Just did a re-scan and no ATSC 3.0 channels yet. Saw somewhere that there should be at least one by end of year.

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

SpiderJerusalem wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:57 pm I'm in the metro and have the Connect 4K. Just did a re-scan and no ATSC 3.0 channels yet. Saw somewhere that there should be at least one by end of year.
Has anyone seen any updates? I have checked ATSC.org weekly but I personally have not seen any updates.

SpiderJerusalem

Post by SpiderJerusalem »

Rescaned this morning with the new firmware update and sadly no ATSC 3 channels.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

That's because there are no ATSC 3.0 stations in the Minneapolis DMA, so no firmware update is going to give you something that doesn't exist in your area.

Don't waste your time scanning daily expecting something to show up. Whenever ATSC 3.0 launches in Minneapolis, you'll know about it in advanced since stations are required to make on screen notices at random times for 30 days prior to the switch, along with making FCC filings in advanced detailing their plans and their launch date. As of today, no station in your DMA or state has made any ATSC 3.0 related filings with the FCC.