Need control over selection of ATSC3/HEVC versus ATSC1

ATSC 3.0 Forum
ejohannes

Need control over selection of ATSC3/HEVC versus ATSC1

Post by ejohannes »

Given the current state of the ability for various devices being able to handle the HEVC video streams it would be good to be able to select which broadcast the system should use. This would also be good to have as a permanent fallback for when things/standards jump around and broadcasters make changes to the way they do things.

Currently for at least here in the Portland OR market, devices like IOS, FireTV, PC, Macbook, are not able to play the HEVC channels or recordings of said channels on a Servio. The only device I have that things work on is my LG television with the HDHomeRun app on it.

I have a 4K FireTV stick plugged into my projector and would like to use it to watch the TV broadcasts, but with the current situation I cannot.

What would solve the issue for now until all this is straightened out would be the ability to select or filter out the HEVC versus HD channels. Right now when a broadcast, such as 8.1 NBC channel, is detected on two different transponders/channels (i.e.CH30-3 for HEVC and CH23-3 for regular) the system automatically selects the HEVC channel thus resulting in the inability to watch the broadcast.

A solution that requires me to edit some json file locally on my PC wouldn't work since that would not effect the FireTV nor the Servio system. It would probably need to be a central solution to the Connect 4K device. Or alternatively if the HDHomeRun App can store some kind of local information/setting settable from their settings page and only applicable to that device such as a FireTV stick. Although I am not sure how that would be applicable to the Servio system.

avdp

Re: Need control over selection of ATSC3/HEVC versus ATSC1

Post by avdp »

I agree something needs to be done. I would suggest the device should serve ATSC1 by default in order to not break any applications / devices that don't work with HEVC or AC-4 (which for me at least, appear to be every single device - none of them play the audio, and all of them plays the video poorly). The HEVC/ATSC3 stream should be explicitly requested through additional url parameter or similar mechanism.

Short of that, I think I am going to plug my old connect back for now and keep this new device on the side for now...

mrquietus

Post by mrquietus »

+1 this would be great if there was an easy to way default back to ATSC 1. I have plenty of devices that either don't reliably tune the video of ATSC 3.0, or audio, or both.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

This is why I've been saying SD should list by RF number and not virtual channel numbers. That way you can disable the 3.0 RF channel for the time being.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

This feature is being worked on. I don't have an ETA on it, but it's up there on "the list".

kt4atl

Post by kt4atl »

A big +1 from me on this for me. Until all the various devices can catch up to ATSC3, I definitely need a way to be able to flip back and forth between the two.

smokey7722
Device ID: 10731A79 1080570D

Post by smokey7722 »

I would agree selection of ATSC1 vs ATSC3 but I would also like the ability to tell the HDHomeRun client app to use a specific device on the network. If I have a 4US and a 4K on the network, I would want to be able to test the 4K specifically which right now I can't. I have to remove the operating 4US unit unfortunately.

menkelis

Post by menkelis »

I agree with 'smokey7722'.
In my case I have a CONNECT QUATRO and CONNECT 4K on the same network
so by default HDHomerun client app always picks the QUATRO tuners first.
I use the client apps for Windows-10 and Nvidia Shield TV, my LG TV is too old
and won't support native app.

mooninite

Post by mooninite »

I tried a workaround, but the firmware doesn't support a fallback even when the ATSC 1.0 channel is available and no ATSC 3.0 tuner is available. I tried tuning to all ATSC 1.0 stations, then closing my first channel (tuner 3) so a tuner is available, but it is only a 1.0 tuner. The HDHomeRun rejected my attempt to view a ATSC 3.0 channel that has a ATSC 1.0 stream, too, saying all tuners are in use.

robertbaetke

Post by robertbaetke »

Let me start out by saying the folks at Silicon Dust are heros for making this tuner available at an affordable price and for their responsiveness to customer input. I understand that this is "early adopter" territory and there are some things that are just out of their control and we will have to wait for others (FFmpeg, PLEX) to catch up. I am happy this is box is available and that I can participate in the adventure of making it work.

However, there are things that are within their control and I want to add my vote to more manual control over which tuner and channel is used to receive a signal. This box is not yet usable for watching HEVC channels because of the lack of support for AC-4 audio and the fact that the tuner defaults to HEVC prevents me from being able to watch that same channel in HD. I would really like to be able to select the HD channel because the tuners seem to be much more sensitive than my old Extend and Connect Duo boxes and, at least for now, the video signal in HD is just as good at the HEVC signal. I would be happy if I could just make it work like an HD tuner while we wait for the other problems to be sorted out, but as it is now I cannot watch any HEVC channels because there is no sound, and I cannot watch any HD channels because the tuner won't allow me to select them. So basically I have 4 tuners that I cannot tune to a usable signal.

Please give us the ability to manually specify which tuner, RF-channel, and modulation standard we want to use for our individual reception situation.

Thanks.