hdhomerunjoe

Orlando no ATSC-3 channel detected

Post by hdhomerunjoe »

Orlando no ATSC-3 channel detected

jasonl
Expert

Re: Orlando no ATSC-3 channel detected

Post by jasonl »

Where in Orlando are you and what kind of antenna are you using? The ATSC 3 station there is a low power station on a short tower with a very narrow broadcast pattern. The best coverage area is roughly bounded by downtown Orlando, the Beachline Expressway between the airport and the Intracoastal, the Intracoastal, a line from about Scottsmoor west to I-4, and then I-4 back to downtown Orlando. Inside of that, you can probably get it with an indoor antenna. The next 5-7 or so miles or so beyond that and it's probably doable with a rooftop antenna. Beyond that, probably not happening. Significant portions of the Orlando TV market have limited to no coverage, including places like Melbourne, Daytona Beach, Deltona, Sanford, and Kissimmee, even though those areas can usually pick up the major broadcasts with indoor antennas.

hdhomerunjoe

Post by hdhomerunjoe »

Thank you, from Kissimmee

DougHo
Device ID: 10807C4C

Post by DougHo »

I am a new user with "dumb" question. I scan and pick up normal channels, and one of these is WRCF RF-16 and I can tune to it. But the channel lineup.html shows icon HD for it (29.1, and other channels such as NBC CBS ABC etc). When it is tuned, tuners.html status shows 8vsb symbol quality 100%. Everything I read says that Orlando is supposed to have ATSC 3.0 there. Am I misunderstanding, and ATSC 3.0 somehow has 8vsb on the same RF channel, and for some reason I can't pick up the ATSC 3.0 portion of that RF channel? Or does it mean everyone is telling a lie and that Orlando doesn't really have ATSC 3.0? What should I expect when this station is ATSC 3.0 - would it still be just the same Univision but the icon would change from HD, or is there something like some new "virtual" channels which would somehow get tuning priority over the other HD 8vsb channels in our market? There has been no change since I installed my receiver a few days before Halloween and with firmware/software updates and rescans.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I haven't read anyone actually picking up the ATSC3.0 station in Orlando yet and as jasonl mentioned, very few would.

Typically what happens is that station will carry 3-5 other major stations and then the station itself would be carried as a subchannel on one of those. For instance here when the CW station converted to ATSC 3.0, the main station was carried by the ABC station's transmitter while the sub channels it had (grit, mystery and hsn) were picked up by the fox station's transmitter. And in general (probably 99% of cases) it would be forced to have it's station still carried as ATSC 1.0 for at least 5 years due to the FCC rules (though my understanding there is another station in the area with the same programming so that if any such waiver was granted, that would probably be a good case).

The main thing you need to look at is what frequency 29.1 says it is tuning when it tunes and if is indeed 485MHz.

DougHo

Post by DougHo »

Thanks for response; maybe I was not clear but I said that the station 29.1 received by me (in zip 32812 five miles north of airport) is RF-16 and 8vsb with 100% symbol quality as indicated by tuners.html. By RF-16 I mean that it says 485MHz. To me this means that everyone who says that Orlando is broadcasting ATSC 3.0 is telling a lie, at least for the last ten days or so that I've had this tuner. Unless I am misunderstanding, and somehow there is both an ATSC 3.0 and older modulation on same 485MHz frequency and the older modulation is somehow masking me being able to pick up the newer modulation.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I went back through WRCF-CD's FCC filings and they filed on 9/14 to discontinue ATSC 3 operation and return to regular ATSC operation effective 9/30. They also filed to renew their broadcast license on 9/30, so that might have something to do with it.

DougHo

Post by DougHo »

Thanks. With no ATSC 3 in Orlando, this tuner acts just like 2x more expensive version of Quatro I got several years ago. Since I'm still within 30 days of purchase, I'll contact SilconDust to return for refund.