ATSC 3.0: Dallas

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Trip

Re: ATSC 3.0: Dallas

Post by Trip »

jasonl wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 pm KSTR's temporary authority to operate a SFN (multiple transmitter sites) expired on July 4. I'm not sure why it's still listed on RabbitEars. AFAIK they're only broadcasting from the main Cedar Hill site. Today they filed a resumption of operations notice indicating their broadcast is back on the air, so I've sent an email to a contact there to see if he has any information on why it's not working right now.
I've locked the STA record so it stays in the listing because before it expired it had somehow become inactive when it should have been active. And then I've seen plenty of STAs expire inadvertently.

I'll be interested to hear what they say about if they've turned it off or not.

- Trip

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

This one seems intentional:
Despite the current challenges, Univision does not anticipate seeking a further extension of the Experimental Authorization beyond the three-month extension sought herein. Thus, the extension sought will be limited in duration and will not undermine the Bureau’s general policy of no longer granting experimental authorizations for ATSC 3.0 operation.

In light of the above, the Applicant respectfully requests a single, three-month extension of the Experimental Authorization, until July 4th, 2020.
I'll ask about it when I hear back about the current issues.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Someone is definitely doing something, because KSTR is completely off-air right now.

wings2603

Post by wings2603 »

Any word on what happened to KSTR?

plnota

Post by plnota »

wings2603 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:19 am Any word on what happened to KSTR?
Ironically, the day they went totally off the air (21st) is also the day that they submitted a notice to the FCC for full return to operations. :roll: Nothing further yet.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

All I got back was that they were looking into it.

turns2stone

Post by turns2stone »

I'm in Far North Dallas, and running the non-Dev ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun with Plex. I've never been able to pick up any HEVC stations, even though I have good signal on everything else. I'm running 20201021b. (EDIT just updated to 20201023)

I know this isn't much helpful info, but I'll bookmark this thread to provide updates when I scan occasionally for new channels.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

To rule out Plex, you should try running the native HDHomeRun app. It can be found in the download sections for windows, Mac, android (Google play store?), and iOS/tvOS (the App Store).

Note that in most cases you should get at least video, but in many cases you may not get audio. If you read through some of these threads, you’ll learn that the audio format use for these new broadcast signals is not immediately compatible with most software/hardware.

wings2603

Post by wings2603 »

turns2stone wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:39 am I'm in Far North Dallas, and running the non-Dev ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun with Plex. I've never been able to pick up any HEVC stations, even though I have good signal on everything else. I'm running 20201021b. (EDIT just updated to 20201023)

I know this isn't much helpful info, but I'll bookmark this thread to provide updates when I scan occasionally for new channels.
Right now there is no ATSC 3 station transmitting in Dallas.

turns2stone

Post by turns2stone »

darcilicious wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:17 am To rule out Plex, you should try running the native HDHomeRun app. It can be found in the download sections for windows, Mac, android (Google play store?), and iOS/tvOS (the App Store).

Note that in most cases you should get at least video, but in many cases you may not get audio. If you read through some of these threads, you’ll learn that the audio format use for these new broadcast signals is not immediately compatible with most software/hardware.
Yes, I have that app installed and working. But I cannot tell from the interface if the tuned station is actually HEVC?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

In your web browser http://my.hdhomerun.com, click on your HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K link, click on Channel Lineup. That will tell you which channels are ATSC 3.0 (they'll have an HEVC tag).

When you're tuning a channel through the HDHomeRun app, you can go back to that main page, click on your HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K link, then click on Tuner Status -- if Tuner 0 or Tuner 1 are in use, then they're tuning an ATSC 3.0 channel.

turns2stone

Post by turns2stone »

darcilicious wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:23 pm In your web browser http://my.hdhomerun.com, click on your HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K link, click on Channel Lineup. That will tell you which channels are ATSC 3.0 (they'll have an HEVC tag).

When you're tuning a channel through the HDHomeRun app, you can go back to that main page, click on your HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K link, then click on Tuner Status -- if Tuner 0 or Tuner 1 are in use, then they're tuning an ATSC 3.0 channel.
That worked, thanks! Unfortunately, nothing broadcasting ATSC 3.0/HEVC in Dallas :cry:

dtmf

Post by dtmf »

Channel 34 is working today.

Using the hdhomerun_config_gui tool I can see that it's ATSC3.
4 Programs:
1 49.2 UNM 2
2 49.1 UNM1 (no data)
3 23.1 UVN (no data)
4 4.1 FOX (no data)

I was not able to see the program data when using my rooftop antenna (only 60% signal strength).

I switched to a 3 foot telescopic antenna (indoor) and I'm getting 73% signal strength).

When I use the web gui to Detect Channels I see a "HEVC" channel - "49.1 UNM1".

-Will

plnota

Post by plnota »

Confirm that it's back on this evening, and I am able to tune to all four subchannels. Video plays, but I don't have an audio codec to test audio (on linux desktop).

Program 1 (UNM2) is on PLP0, while Programs 2-4 are on PLP1, so you have to specify the PLP in order to be able to view the channels.

The lineup and channel stats are:
Program 1 | 49.2 UNM 2 | Unimas 960x540p@60fps
Program 2 | 49.1 UNM1 | Unimas 1920x1080p@60fps
Program 3 | 23.1 UVN | Univision 1920x1080p@60fps
Program 4 | 4.1 FOX | Fox (KDFW) 1920x1080p@60fps

rgrasmus

Post by rgrasmus »

Able to tune into all 4 using the latest beta version of the HDHomeRun MacOS app. The audio is working for me. The video is rather glitchy with encoding artifacts flashing, mostly along the top edge of the video. Glitches seem to happen on all other HEVC channels. Not sure if it is on the broadcast or receiver/decoding side that things are off.