ATSC 3.0: Dallas - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
scheb

Re: ATSC 3.0: Dallas

Post by scheb »

I am SO thrilled that WFAA is available on UHF now. I’m 40+ miles from the transmitter and my UHF attic antenna just couldn’t pick up that VHF signal.

And yes, I’ve lost the ATSC 3.0 signals too, but it’s still early days... :geek:

wings2603

Post by wings2603 »

Dallas is transmitting again
Virtual Channel 4.1 FOX
Frequency 593.000 MHz
Program Number 4
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 100%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 3.337 Mbps

scheb

Post by scheb »

I rescanned and the Apple TV app isn’t letting it tune when I switch channels inside app. I have to quit the app restart it and then it picks up a tuner.

Fox is no bueno on Apple TV. I’ll have to see what it looks like in the Mac app.

Tuner 0 Status
Virtual Channel 4.1 FOX
Frequency 593.000 MHz
Program Number 4
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 96%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 4.896 Mbps

For what it’s worth, the HEVC only channel (49.2) is working fine in Apple TV (using my quit and relaunch workaround). And yes, that is definitely a low framerate.

flapj4cks

Post by flapj4cks »

Fox 4.1 on ATSC works great for me using both the HDHomeRun app and Plex. ChannelsDVR is no dice. Never loads.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Still 30fps.

shfy70

Post by shfy70 »

I have Apple 4V 4K and Roku 4K, both updated to latest firmware, I have the same issue as "scheb", the screen is green 90% of the time, also no audio at all (Fox, Univision and UniMas), I can't watch the ATSC 3.0 channels on my TV, only able to watch on my Windows 10 PCs

Currently it seems there is no 4K ATSC 3.0 channels, do we know once 4K signal is beamed, after we scan it, we should see HEVC 4K or still HEVC HD? Any screen shot from someone outside DFW showing 4K ? Thanks.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

shfy70 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:54 pm Any screen shot from someone outside DFW showing 4K ? Thanks.
Nobody is broadcasting 4K content. And I suspect that the HDHomeRun channel listing will be resolution agnostic other than HD HEVC, HD, or blank/no indicator (e.g. SD).

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I thought I remember it showing UHD on the PRIME on the Fios 4K channels, but it's been a while.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

jasonl wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:08 pm I thought I remember it showing UHD on the PRIME on the Fios 4K channels, but it's been a while.
Quite possibly but will that be happening over OTA anytime soon...? Maybe the Superbowl?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

There will probably be a one-off at some point just to see how it goes. The Superb Owl is hard to do in proper 4K because it has 18 million cameras and the control boards don't have enough bandwidth to move that much data around. That's why Fox's "4K" broadcast of the last one was really upscaled 1080p. I'd lean towards something that is done with a bit less fanfare and probably overseas, but which still has a good draw, so maybe one of the top Olympic events (final competition for figure skating, or the gold medal game for basketball or hockey), the UEFA Champions League final, or maybe just whatever Premier League match happens to be in 4K on a particular weekend (the #1 match each weekend is already available in 4K on cable and satellite). Also, there is some 4K available OTA in other countries. I remember that Paris has/had a couple 4K test channels, and I think those might have been used when France hosted the Women's World Cup in 2019, as that entire tournament was done in 4K.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

I watched some of the Cowboys game on my Xbox One X via the HDHomeRun app/ATSC 3.0/Fox 4. Unfortunately when watching ATSC 3.0 Fox 4 the XBox app locks up about every 15 minutes just like the Win10 app, and you have to change channels and change back to keep watching. The signal looks fine, the app just stops and doesn't apparently try to recover.

rmoran

Post by rmoran »

Fox 4.1 still choppy/broken. Anyone hearing any rumors on potential firmware updates to fix this? Using HDHomeRun 4K with Plex. I’m 6 miles from the Tower and 100% quality/strength. Really disappointed, Fox is primary station I was trying to receive.

scheb

Post by scheb »

I’m really looking forward to the firmware update that will list the atsc1 version of the channel and the atsc3 version also. I hope we get it before Christmas!

rmoran

Post by rmoran »

scheb wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:41 am I’m really looking forward to the firmware update that will list the atsc1 version of the channel and the atsc3 version also. I hope we get it before Christmas!
Is there anyone who knows any details on this? I talked to someone on the phone and was told a firmware update was coming last week. It obviously did not. I talked to someone via email and they were looking into it and were clueless about this issue. I don't know if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. Does anyone have a contact or better insight? Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rmoran wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:54 am
scheb wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:41 am I’m really looking forward to the firmware update that will list the atsc1 version of the channel and the atsc3 version also. I hope we get it before Christmas!
Is there anyone who knows any details on this? I talked to someone on the phone and was told a firmware update was coming last week. It obviously did not. I talked to someone via email and they were looking into it and were clueless about this issue. I don't know if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. Does anyone have a contact or better insight? Thanks
I assure you that no one who works here is clueless about the issue. The development team is working on the feature, but there is no firm ETA at this time.