ATSC 3.0: Salt Lake City

ATSC 3.0 Forum
timeshifter

Re: ATSC 3.0: Salt Lake City

Post by timeshifter »

Just installed 20201021b. I did a channel scan using the device webpage. All the ATSC 3.0 channels are found and stay in the lineup. But, when I try to view any of them with the HDHomeRun app (Mac) I get no video or sound. With the Channels app (iPad) it's the same with the exception of 4.1 KTVX, where I do see video. 4.1 KTVX also happens to be the one channel that is 720p instead of 1080i as mentioned in previous posts. But, I can still stream with VLC.

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

I installed the latest beta of the windows app this morning. I do get video on all the ATSC 3.0 channels. It's very choppy. But, I am running windows in VMWare. Also, the 1080i stations are the wrong aspect ratio (the same in VLC, 1920x540).

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

Just installed 20201022. Getting closer! Was very surprised to have audio. The video and audio is still very choppy (Mac, iPad, ATV, Windows in VMWare). The 1080i stations are still displaying with the wrong aspect ratio. But, congrats to the SD dev team for making big leaps today!

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

Installed the 20201023 firmware and Mac app. For the ATSC 3.0 channels I've got slo-mo video and no sound. Btw., it's not just dropping frames. I can tune to the same channel in the app (tuner 0) and VLC (tuner 1) at the same time and watch them go out of sync. On the plus side, the 1080i channels display with the correct aspect ratio.

I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro running Catalina.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I got the update today 20201023. Video is working but I haven't really checked the HEVC yet. At least the HEVC showed up. iPad is dead as far as video. I see the channel line up but no video or sound on ANY channels. I'll try it on my 4k roku as well. I use my iPad so I can watch quietly with headphones. I hope the iPad gets an update soon. The last for it was May.

jrosl

Post by jrosl »

I received and installed the HD Connect 4K on 24 October. The firmware was the latest version 20201023 as shipped. What I discovered is that there are four channels broadcasting HEVC in Salt Lake City (KUTV-2; KTVX-4; KJZZ-14; and KUCW-30. With a ROKU Ultra (which is rated for 4K) I get a correct video image on all four channels, using both HD and 4K televisions with ROKU Ultra. However, there is no audio regardless of channel or receiver. I also tried the same four channels with VLC and a computer monitor as the receiver setup. In this case I got a correct video picture only on KTVX-4. The other three channels were the wrong aspect ratio (short and wide). On the other hand, I had audio on all four channels. The only problem was that on the good channel (KTVX-4) the image which was otherwise correct would glitch (hesitate) about once or twice a minute. My computer and graphics card are more than capable of handling this stream, so I'm not sure what causes the glitches. Finally, I tried using PLEX as the receiver, and got nothing but blank screens on the HEVC channels. I believe PLEX is handling H.264 but not H.265. Judging from the other comments in this string, it appears that there has been progress relative to SLC channels, but there are still some problems or lack of compatibility in various ways. The lack of audio via ROKU Ultra and 4K televisions is the one I'd like fixed first.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

In almost all cases, the audio format (AC-4) is the issue as its not supported currently on some hardware and many/most software platforms. That is most definitely the case for Plex which does handle HEVC-265 just fine and has for quite awhile.

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

A Channels update. I'm on the current firmware. I updated to the latest Channels DVR server beta and iOS beta. I've got pretty smooth, not perfect, video and audio when viewing KTVX 4.1 on my iPad. The other ATSC 3.0 stations, which are 1080i, I've got smooth audio and no video.

Btw., you can get the 1080i stations to work by going into the advanced settings in the iOS beta and changing the deinterlacing mode to Blend, and then enabling Stretch Video to Fit to correct the aspect ratio.

jrosl

Post by jrosl »

Darcilicious, you noted that the problem is likely AC-4 audio not being properly supported. I do get audio through the ROKU with 4K content from internet sources, just not OTA broadcasts. So it seems that ROKU can deliver 4K content other than OTA channels. Do we know if this lack of broadcast audio is also happening in cities other than SLC? I'm trying to narrow this down to understand the likely source of the problem.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

codec used for audio for internet content 99.9999% of the time isn't AC-4

codec used by ATSC 3.0 is 99.99999% of the time IS AC-4 (for ATSC 1.0 it is AC-3 which many rokus also don't support in any way other than passthrough but most TV's since they are required to support AC-3 in the tv broadcasts will support such passthrough though there are a few TV's that don't support AC-3 via HDMI and only through the RF (antenna) port )

Very few things support AC-4 (most 2020 LG TV's do and 2020 8K samsung TV's do) Some android devices do, particularly if on Pie (but not all) and some apps might on other platforms. Roku is dependent 100% on what it supports or in some cases can hand off, no app on roku can change that as it is dependent on using it's player to play content.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

jrosl wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 pm Darcilicious, you noted that the problem is likely AC-4 audio not being properly supported. I do get audio through the ROKU with 4K content from internet sources, just not OTA broadcasts. So it seems that ROKU can deliver 4K content other than OTA channels. Do we know if this lack of broadcast audio is also happening in cities other than SLC? I'm trying to narrow this down to understand the likely source of the problem.
To add on to this a little bit (from what @signcarver posted). Keep in mind that "4K" is a resolution, e.g. the number of pixels used to display the video. What it really comes down to are the codecs (or formats if you like) of the video and and the audio. That's why you can get "4K" from internet sources -- the hardware/software for video players currently support the most popular codecs used by Internet streaming providers.

ATSC 3.0 is its own beast and, as was stated above, used a mostly incompatible audio format.

And finally, it may be worth pointing out that there aren't any 4K OTA broadcasts as of yet; best is 1080i being "upscaled" to 1080p before being broadcast...

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

timeshifter wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 pm I updated to the latest Channels DVR server beta and iOS beta.
I'm dying to get on their iOS/tvOS beta, would you be able to point me to a post or a FAQ that tells me how? I tried searching their community forums a week+ ago and could not find that info... Thanks!

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

darcilicious wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:23 pm
timeshifter wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 pm I updated to the latest Channels DVR server beta and iOS beta.
I'm dying to get on their iOS/tvOS beta, would you be able to point me to a post or a FAQ that tells me how? I tried searching their community forums a week+ ago and could not find that info... Thanks!
Just open this link on your iOS device and install Test Flight (should show up at the top of the webpage). After you open Test Flight it should ask if you want to install the Channels beta. https://testflight.apple.com/join/kxU7lcEN

I haven't tried the tvOS beta yet.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Perfect! Worked like a charm, much appreciated!

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

timeshifter wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:46 pm Installed the 20201023 firmware and Mac app. For the ATSC 3.0 channels I've got slo-mo video and no sound. Btw., it's not just dropping frames. I can tune to the same channel in the app (tuner 0) and VLC (tuner 1) at the same time and watch them go out of sync. On the plus side, the 1080i channels display with the correct aspect ratio.

I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro running Catalina.
Installed the 20201030 firmware. Still the same as the above. iOS app, still no sound or video. Channels server/app betas, still the same as previously described.