ATSC 3.0: Salt Lake City

ATSC 3.0 Forum
darcilicious

Re: ATSC 3.0: Salt Lake City

Post by darcilicious »

I believe this latest firmware was primarily released to address changes in broadcasts in Portland...

timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

darcilicious wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:42 pm I believe this latest firmware was primarily released to address changes in broadcasts in Portland...
That's what I figured. At least it didn't break anything.

dsinema

Post by dsinema »

After the 20201030 update a channel scan only finds about 31 channels. My 2 other Extends pick up close to 70 channels...☹️

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I updated to 20201030 firmware and I see the stations 2, 4, 14 and 30 that broadcast in HEVC when I go to my.hdhomerun.com only on the webpage. I get about 50 channels possible. The actual viewing software is confused because it splits the screen horizontally and shows 2 pieces at the same time. The sub channels (2-2, 4-2, 14-2, 30-2, etc) work just fine because they aren't dealing with HEVC.

The DVR software has the same issues. It records but the file is unplayable when done for any channel that is HEVC. I have EyeTV and that works just fine for HD channels and sub channels. It doesn't have a clue about the HEVC

The iPad software at least now displays video and on non-HEVC channels gives sound but it runs badly and locks up. They need to fix it as well.

I have an LG 4K television. I have the HDHomeRon app loaded but it can't deal with the 4K signal from the Quatro.

They have a lot of software to work on before this is really usable.

skriefal

Post by skriefal »

31 channels? 50? Mine reports 81 channels with an old(ish) Antennas Direct Clearstream 2 antenna. And yes, it's only coincidence that 31 + 50 = 81. :D I haven't tested most of those channels.

skriefal

Post by skriefal »

I'm now seeing correct aspect ratio on the local ATSC 3.0 channels when viewed through the Roku app on a Roku Ultra. Not sure when this changed. Still no audio but that's expected.

rslfan

Post by rslfan »

I'm running the 20201030 firmware in St. George, UT, but I'm not getting any ATSC 3.0 channels when I run a channel scan (only HD). What do I need to do to receive ATSC 3.0?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

St. George is too far away from Salt Lake City's ATSC 3.0 station:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php ... te=1&map=Y

That section of the state is mostly served by translators which are likely not converting to ATSC 3.0 anytime soon.

rslfan

Post by rslfan »

That section of the state is mostly served by translators which are likely not converting to ATSC 3.0 anytime soon.
:( Thanks kyl416. I was afraid that was the reason why. So much for being an early adopter! Maybe I could sell my HDHR4K on Ebay?

autodidact

Post by autodidact »

rslfan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:37 am

:( Thanks kyl416. I was afraid that was the reason why. So much for being an early adopter! Maybe I could sell my HDHR4K on Ebay?
Where I live, in Pahrump NV, the area is served only by translators and a low power station, but one of the towers in town is indeed (intermittently) broadcasting ATSC 3.0 similar to that available one mountain range over in Las Vegas. I know KSNV has a translator in Washington county and they're part of the Sinclair group, which, I believe, is the driving force behind the broadcasts here. When I first got my unit I emailed comments@news3lv.com (with a request to forward the message to engineering at the start) asking about ATSC 3.0 translators and got a favorable response from a Sinclair person cluing me in. You might consider doing the same.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

All the HEVC channels are dead. I get no video of any kind from 2-1, 4-1, 14-1 and 30-1 in either HEVC or HD. The sub channels for them (2-2, 4-2, 14-2, 30-2, etc.) all work fine. It's annoying. Fortunately I also have 2 HDHomeRun Dual units so I can still get TV but I'm disappointed the 4K unit isn't coming close to delivering any real value yet.

Fuzzywuzzy