ATSC 3.0: Pittsburgh

ATSC 3.0 Forum
yaks11

Re: ATSC 3.0: Pittsburgh

Post by yaks11 »

Downloaded the latest firmware (ver. 20201022) and I can now get audio and video thru the Xbox app for WTAE (I didn't verify, but I'm assuming the newest version of the HDHomerun app was installed on the Xbox). It is smoother on that channel as well but does pause/freeze from time to time. I can keep it "working" by clicking pause and then play if it doesn't "fix" itself (as if it hits a buffer limit). The other two available HEVC channels start to show video and audio, but freeze in about a second into display so no luck there.

I updated the Windows App on my PC and when I switched to WTAE on it the app closed without any error. I tried to reopen the app again and it would startup and just close, so the Windows App won't run for me at this point.

As a side note, I have the dolby atmos app installed on my Xbox (and have had it for the last six months or so). On my PC, I don't have an AC-4 supported audio interface so I'm not sure if I would hear audio on the HEVC channels at this point.

So, on WTAE it is watchable (with some minor pauses that still need addressed) at this point for me. My Xbox is connected via an RJ45 ethernet cable (so I wouldn't suspect this pausing as being a local network issue).

LANMind

Post by LANMind »

I'm loving my new unit for the most part. I get audio fine on the atsc 3.0 channels with the HDHomeRun app, but I get no audio through Plex. Does anybody have an idea on how to get the audio though Plex?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

LANMind wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 am Does anybody have an idea on how to get the audio though Plex?
Won't be possible until Plex knows how to deal with AC-4; and I believe they're currently going to wait on ffmpeg developers to provide the solution for transcoding the audio. However, I was talking to an Apple specific Plex developer. I've been meaning to bring it up with their Live TV folks -- I'll try to do that today.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

darcilicious wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 am However, I was talking to an Apple specific Plex developer. I've been meaning to bring it up with their Live TV folks -- I'll try to do that today.
Done! (In fact just after I posted the above, said Apple developer suggested that I do the same). I'll keep you posted as I'm able...

AsyncAwait

Post by AsyncAwait »

Ok, testing newest Windows 10 version 20201023.

4.1 WTAE comes in fine for video and audio. It paused briefly about every 10 seconds, but it has improved.
22.1 and 53.1 both come in but sound jumbled, and stutter and pause every 1 second or so.

Also I noticed that there isn't a Network Rate drop when this stuttering happens. On WTAE for instance I get 8+mbps, and I don't notice a sharp drop even when the stuttering occurs.

We're getting there though.

yaks11

Post by yaks11 »

I'm not sure if anyone else notices this with version 20201023, but on the Xbox App I've noticed that audio works on all three ATSC 3.0 channels in Pittsburgh now, but WPNT and FOX only output on the left side of my speakers. WTAE does not suffer from that issue. I'm still seeing the pausing of the video (it varies now) on all three stations. Sometimes it picks right back up (as if it needs to buffer again) and continues to play and other times it is just stuck and I need to click pause/play until it starts working.

yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

I'm experiencing all the same issues with audio and pausing video, except that my video will completely freeze after about 10 minutes on all 3 stations (Windows client). I'm current on updates so, I'm hoping that gets worked out soon.

I'd be interested to know where some of you are located as I'm in northeast WV just inside a 70 mile radius for the Pittsburgh stations. I'm getting much stronger reception on all stations and, in fact, my total station count climbed by about 15 to 54 with the installation of the Quatro 4K. I wasn't even able to scan WTAE before and now I get a good signal even though I do experience the issues that have been talked about. So, I'm really happy about that. Hopefully, these other issues will be corrected soon. For the time being, I'll keep my Dish subscription for local channels, especially through the end of the World Series.

though

Post by though »

yourpalfranc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:43 am I'm getting much stronger reception on all stations and, in fact, my total station count climbed by about 15 to 54 with the installation of the Quatro 4K. I wasn't even able to scan WTAE before and now I get a good signal even though I do experience the issues that have been talked about.
Which tuner did you have previously?

yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

though wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:14 am
yourpalfranc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:43 am I'm getting much stronger reception on all stations and, in fact, my total station count climbed by about 15 to 54 with the installation of the Quatro 4K. I wasn't even able to scan WTAE before and now I get a good signal even though I do experience the issues that have been talked about.
Which tuner did you have previously?
I have a Quatro Connect that's about 2 years old, and I'm hoping to be able to use it in conjunction with the new Quatro 4K to have access to a total of 8 tuners. I was assured that would work, but when I had both of them connected earlier, ATSC 3.0 channels weren't being detected so I disconnected the old box. I figured I'd let some of the bugs get worked out and fight that battle later. Truthfully, 8 tuners is probably overkill for me anyway. At least for now.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

yourpalfranc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:08 pm when I had both of them connected earlier, ATSC 3.0 channels weren't being detected so I disconnected the old box.
That's because the HDHomeRun app prioritizes the lower device ID number first :p If they'd swap that to prioritizing the higher device ID number first (which makes sense, newer stuff first, please :) ) then you'd be able to have all your tuners in the mix. I have the EXTEND (dual-tuner) and would love to have 6 total tuners enabled all the time.

Other apps let you explicitly prioritize the device order (Channels).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I don't think the logic will ever go by highest first as typically you want to keep the more limited tuners free thus older ota tuners first. The idea essentially came about to prefer ota over a prime/cable. Eventually the idea is the engine will select favorite (but not at the device level which probably should change... if this happened you could favorite on your newer device to make first), highest resolution first and provided equal resolution will choose hevc prior to mpeg2 (thats the part that seems missing now but is what I suspect SD's solution will be). There are a few issues of 1080 channels not showing up as such so their resolution is lower thus won't be chosen under that plan.

I have always felt there should be some more priority control either by the hdhomerun.conf file (registry on windows) or by ip reservation. That way those who need control for certain situations can actually do so.

yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

Well, I asked SD tech support the question about using the two products simultaneously to consolidate tuners prior to pulling the trigger on the 4K Kickstarter, and I was assured it would work. So, if something doesn't happen in a reasonable amount of time there's gonna be a problem. I never toss out tech support e-mails.

though

Post by though »

yourpalfranc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:58 pm Well, I asked SD tech support the question about using the two products simultaneously to consolidate tuners prior to pulling the trigger on the 4K Kickstarter, and I was assured it would work. So, if something doesn't happen in a reasonable amount of time there's gonna be a problem. I never toss out tech support e-mails.
gonna be a problem?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That part is working... just not the way you expected.

saul

Post by saul »

AsyncAwait wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:56 pm Ok, testing newest Windows 10 version 20201023.

4.1 WTAE comes in fine for video and audio. It paused briefly about every 10 seconds, but it has improved.
22.1 and 53.1 both come in but sound jumbled, and stutter and pause every 1 second or so.

Also I noticed that there isn't a Network Rate drop when this stuttering happens. On WTAE for instance I get 8+mbps, and I don't notice a sharp drop even when the stuttering occurs.

We're getting there though.
Thanks for testing. I am seeing similar on my W10 PC.

Using the HDHomeRun app on a Mac the video seems good but no sound for these channels. Now on 20201025
On an iPad the app simply shows a black screen when selecting channel 4.1. Tuner 0 shows going to channel. 20200521 but no beta available?