AC-4 Audio?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Crash*N*Burn

Re: AC-4 Audio?

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

kyl416 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:08 am It's because Nvidia doesn't want to pay for the patent to include native Dolby support on older shields. Until there's an open source AC-4 codec, you won't get audio on it without a soundbar or receiver that can decode AC-4. Kodi, VLC, Emby and Plex all rely on FFmpeg for their media functions, so they don't know what to do with the AC-4 audio stream, it just sees it as an undecodable binary data stream.

There's a bunch of complaints about this on Nvidia's forums, since it also causes issues with Dolby Digital where you miss the first second or two of audio on apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Vudu, Hulu and HBO Max after playback starts while your soundbar or receiver detects the audio format. If they had native Dolby support they could continue to send AC3 or E-AC3 audio packets so your sound system won't dip out of Dolby mode anytime the audio stops when you do things like pause the video or rewind/fast forward.
Gotcha, so its still really a software issue that could be solved if someone was willing to buy a 300-400+ sound bar or spending 200 for the newest nvidia Sheild Pro model.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

tvdust wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:36 pm
NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm We will probably start a thread and/or webpage to help track configurations and platforms that will work with AC-4. Most, if not all, Windows 10 systems should have some kind of path to support, Xbox One should be okay, recent LG smart TVs work, at least some Android TV devices should work (will need an update to the app, which is coming out soon), and various others that we need to test with and confirm. Plus, anything that can do passthrough audio through HDMI can add support using an AVR or soundbar with AC-4 support (anything that works with ATMOS should include AC-4 support).

That being said, at this point avoid buying anything specifically for AC-4 support until we get that list up, just to be safe. A lot of existing systems should be supported, and we don't want anyone buying something that ends up not working.
I'm not sure what this means. I was thinking of getting a new TV around Black Friday. Should I make sure it decodes AC4? Is there a list yet?

Is AC4 decoding a hardware thing, or can the Roku/Android/whatever smart software on the TV handle it.

I've just started looking into AC4, and it'd drive me crazy to spend $100 ($69 right now) and have to hook up a Roku Ultra player with AC4 encoding to a brand spanking new Roku TV. Is that what I could be looking at? Should I just wait another month?
Well I just ordered a new a new Roku Ultra from Amazon for 69 bucks today just before I headed out for Thanksgiving dinner. Yes my TCL supports Roku, I already have a Ultra and a 2018 Shield but who knows if any of these will ever get the update. I have a toy money debit card account and a 160 something credit with Amazon for a defective 4k player I returned so I used part of it. That's a good price for the latest and greatest, or close, version that supports AC4 and Dolby Vision and I think some other things, plus the chip is faster. I want to be able to watch the new hevc channels here as they progress towards 4k support, and actually hear them on my big 4k set.
If you have the patience and don't want to spend any extra money on yet another box one of the newer media players you have may get the update, but I bet they'd all rather update their newest models so they get some of the license costs back. I usually use my Shield but it doesn't support it yet either and their latest version to match what I have now is way more than 69 bucks.

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Post by NTC »

Dartman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:46 pm
Well I just ordered a new a new Roku Ultra from Amazon for 69 bucks today just before I headed out for Thanksgiving dinner. Yes my TCL supports Roku, I already have a Ultra and a 2018 Shield but who knows if any of these will ever get the update. I have a toy money debit card account and a 160 something credit with Amazon for a defective 4k player I returned so I used part of it. That's a good price for the latest and greatest, or close, version that supports AC4 and Dolby Vision and I think some other things, plus the chip is faster. I want to be able to watch the new hevc channels here as they progress towards 4k support, and actually hear them on my big 4k set.
If you have the patience and don't want to spend any extra money on yet another box one of the newer media players you have may get the update, but I bet they'd all rather update their newest models so they get some of the license costs back. I usually use my Shield but it doesn't support it yet either and their latest version to match what I have now is way more than 69 bucks.
The new Roku Ultra 4800R(W) will play AC4 audio, but not in a Transport Stream. The HDHomeRun app on the Roku will play the HEVC video portion, as long as it is progressive. It has problems displaying HEVC 1080i. You will not get audio through the app, and at times stops playback of the stream.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Well so your saying it won't work? Anyway I'll find out Sunday and it adds a faster cpu and Dolby Vision so not a total waste of time either way.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Dartman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:13 pm Well so your saying it won't work?
NTC is saying:
You will not get audio through the [HDHomeRun] app.
when playing ATSC 3.0 channels, which is correct.

tvdust

Post by tvdust »

NTC wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:48 pm The new Roku Ultra 4800R(W) will play AC4 audio, but not in a Transport Stream.
Sounds like something that maybe could be fixed with a software update, since it wouldn't be a licensing issue. Right?

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out before I bought an Ultra. It was in my Amazon shopping cart.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Well it probably has a better chance of getting a update to add better support than the others since it has AC4 now. Mine is actually arriving today so we'll see soon enough.
The highest end new Shield might get it but it won't be 69 bucks. I think I paid 169 for my Shield including the gaming controller during a black Friday deal at Best Buy several years ago now.
It truly is a great Android tv media everything player and still gets updates.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Well the new Roku 4 ultra does not play audio on the 3.0 streams yet like several have stated unfortunately. It's a nice player though for cheap and it seems to do a nice job playing back Dolby Vision on anything HDR unless you turn the always on setting off. My TV even shows a Dolby Vision symbol when I play something on it.
So unless you want the other upgrades it added don't get it to play with the HomeRun tuner unless you're willing to wait for a possible update adding it eventually, like said it supports AC4 so it's very possible.

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Post by NTC »

Dartman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm Well the new Roku 4 ultra does not play audio on the 3.0 streams yet like several have stated unfortunately. It's a nice player though for cheap and it seems to do a nice job playing back Dolby Vision on anything HDR unless you turn the always on setting off. My TV even shows a Dolby Vision symbol when I play something on it.
So unless you want the other upgrades it added don't get it to play with the HomeRun tuner unless you're willing to wait for a possible update adding it eventually, like said it supports AC4 so it's very possible.
As stated before, the Roku Ultra 4800 does play AC4 audio. You can play both MP4 and MKV files with HEVC/AC4, and MP4 files that are AC4 audio only. So the new Ultra is capable, with the current OS, it just needs to be updated to allow decoding within a TS container.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

NTC wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:35 pm
Dartman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm Well the new Roku 4 ultra does not play audio on the 3.0 streams yet like several have stated unfortunately. It's a nice player though for cheap and it seems to do a nice job playing back Dolby Vision on anything HDR unless you turn the always on setting off. My TV even shows a Dolby Vision symbol when I play something on it.
As stated before, the Roku Ultra 4800 does play AC4 audio. You can play both MP4 and MKV files with HEVC/AC4, and MP4 files that are AC4 audio only. So the new Ultra is capable, with the current OS, it just needs to be updated to allow decoding within a TS container.
Well let's hope Roku adds the support. They do seem to be constantly adding minor and major updates so if they become aware of the issue they'll add it soon but we'll see. I have had 3 major updates on the Roku built into my TCL TV and a bunch of minor ones to add and update channels and apps that are included since I bought it in early February. I've had Roku boxes and many variations of Android media player since I bought this house in 2012. The Shield is probably the best one as it is more open and supports so many things well. Hopefully at least the newest Shield gets AC4 support too but hard to say if the early ones will.

boardrashx

Post by boardrashx »

[posts from this account are not displayed]
Last edited by boardrashx on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

though

Post by though »

boardrashx wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:43 pm If we assume for a minute that a FOSS AC-4 decoder never arrives, we were all essentially swindled into buying a vastly overpriced ATSC1 networked tuner.
Vastly overpriced? The regular Quatro is $150. Not a huge price difference IMO. If you don't want it, that is fine, sell it to someone else that is wanting one.

If you want to be cutting edge, you have to be able to roll with the punches. Also IMO.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

From the KS
Not all playback clients will be able to support ATSC 3.0 content due to new codecs being utilized. You may need to purchase new client/playback hardware. For a computer you might need to purchase a new graphics card. Windows may require a paid Microsoft codec to be purchased from Microsoft Store.

boardrashx

Post by boardrashx »

boardrashx

Post by boardrashx »