AC-4 Audio?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
AzJazz

AC-4 Audio?

Post by AzJazz »

Hi - I noticed that AC-4 was mentioned in the "Video but no sound" viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74253 topic.

Is all ATSC 3.0 audio encoded in AC-4?

If "yes", how can I play audio? AFAIK, I don't have an AC-4 decoder on my PC. My Onkyo TX-RZ730 doesn't support AC-4, either.

plnota

Re: AC-4 Audio?

Post by plnota »

AC4 is the most common, some used AAC briefly for tests. I don't believe there are any current codecs available for PC, same with receivers. Will have to wait for them to become available - thus is the life of an early adopter. :lol:

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We will probably start a thread and/or webpage to help track configurations and platforms that will work with AC-4. Most, if not all, Windows 10 systems should have some kind of path to support, Xbox One should be okay, recent LG smart TVs work, at least some Android TV devices should work (will need an update to the app, which is coming out soon), and various others that we need to test with and confirm. Plus, anything that can do passthrough audio through HDMI can add support using an AVR or soundbar with AC-4 support (anything that works with ATMOS should include AC-4 support).

That being said, at this point avoid buying anything specifically for AC-4 support until we get that list up, just to be safe. A lot of existing systems should be supported, and we don't want anyone buying something that ends up not working.

bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 »

There is a real need for this information
I am in the Phoenix market and thought I had no audio on HEVC due to the phoenix area timestamp problem
No audio on PC (with ATMOS driver) no audio on Nvidia Shield and no audio on Apple TV 4K
just out of boredom I installed the HD Homerun app on my 2020 LG TV and .... I have audio on HEVC
...Barry

jakep82

Post by jakep82 »

Audio is now working with the Channels DVR beta that was released today. I'm using a Chromecast with Google TV, and playback looks and sounds pretty good.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

jakep82 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 pm Audio is now working with the Channels DVR beta that was released today. I'm using a Chromecast with Google TV, and playback looks and sounds pretty good.
I'm getting audio and video via Channels DVR (beta) as well on my ATV and iPhone; however the video stops and starts a lot and the audio along with it, and sometimes at a much higher pitch...