Does HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K work with WMC?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
zoji12

Does HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K work with WMC?

Post by zoji12 »

I see some mention here and there in this forum of WMC, but the answer is not clear to me.
Has anybody made HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K work with Windows Media Center with ATSC 1.0 signals?
Has anybody made HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K work with Windows Media Center with ATSC 3.0 signals?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Does HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K work with WMC?

Post by nickk »

ATSC 1.0 signals - yes.
ATSC 3.0 signals - no.

zoji12

Post by zoji12 »

Is it likely or unlikely that Qutro4K will ever work with WMC for ATSC 3.0 signals?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Magic 8 ball says "Don't count on it". Posts on TGB suggest WMC doesn't have the ability to record HEVC into a .wtv file, which makes sense considering HEVC wasn't even published as a standard until a couple years after Microsoft killed WMC development.

kansanian

Post by kansanian »

Also interested in this.

Since wtv files are a container, it may be possible but I would also doubt it to be possible unless someone could force it to. It can do h.264. wmc itself can decode some h.265 files if the system has a codec installed. So, it may be possible to somehow do it, but I have no idea what would be involved. It may be too proprietary a file format to force another type of file into the container.

Then there's all the other stuff 3.0 is capable of. Drm being one I fear they'll use in at least some instances and somehow disallow recording or playback outside of a specific device.

Maybe by the time 3.0 standard is more common it'll be time to move to emby. Or something else. But wmc is still such a solid piece of software most of the time.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

It's WMC itself that has to be able to create the file, and to be able to create the file, it has to understand the audio and video formats that are going into it. That means it would require Microsoft to add support, and that seems unlikely given that WMC is dead and buried. The playback of non-TV files (MP3, AVI, etc.) goes through a completely separate system which can be made to support more formats than WMC itself does, but that still doesn't help for TV.