High Network Usage / Streaming Rate

ATSC 3.0 Forum
tzr916

High Network Usage / Streaming Rate

Post by tzr916 »

Just got my new 4k OTA tuner. I'm surprised that the "streaming rate" for the tuners is always ~20Mbps/channel, no matter what channel I go to HD or SD! I know the actual bitrate of these channels is far less because they have several sub-channels. This means, if I'm recording 4 channels from this device, my network usage will be +80Mbps! Meanwhile, when using HDHRP cable card, network usage / streaming rate of a tuner ranges from 3Mbps to 6Mbps per channel (more accurate to the actual bitrate).

So, how and why is the "streaming rate" always ~20Mbps/channel with this device? Is there some re-packing being done? Why is not the actual bitrate of the tv station? And when the 4k channels arrive, will this go UP even more?

EDIT: Never mind, I guess the device just streams the entire 19Mb station (all subchannels), regardless of which subchannel is actually being watched/recorded.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: High Network Usage / Streaming Rate

Post by NedS »

I believe the plan is to try and make it possible to stream at least two channels per ATSC 3.0 tuner, so what you're seeing might be the result of that starting to be set up. Nick will have a better (and more accurate) answer, though.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Which app are you using?

tzr916

Post by tzr916 »

Jriver Media Center on Win10.