ATSC 3.0 Portland: QUATRO 4K

ATSC 3.0 Forum
KU7PDX
Device ID: 1080277F

Re: ATSC 3.0 Portland: QUATRO 4K

Post by KU7PDX »

KOXO-CD is "modulating" something, but I can't make heads or tails of what it is. My StreamScope XM isn't finding any data within it.

Alderem

Post by Alderem »

I've noticed that after performing a channel scan, I have a certain number of channels, but if I check back later, more channels magically appear.

After rescanning channels the other day, I was back to 50 (those troublesome Physical Frequency 11 stations had vanished again). But give it some settling time, and they eventually come back. Not selectable in the HDHomeRun App though.

Today I'm at 58 channels which is a surplus of 4 more than the Connect sees. The new items are all on 15, as Trip mentioned:
  • 15.1 KCKA
  • 15.2 NHK_WLD
  • 15.3 FNX
  • 15.4 TVW
These ARE listed in the HDHomeRun app, but trying to tune into these gives "No Video Data". HDHomeRun Config GUI says it sees signal strength of 47%, and signal quality and symbol quality of 0%. Unable to lock on, it never figures out if these are ATSC3 or ATSC1. "Seek" floats right over the channel, as you'd imagine.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

That's virtual 15/RF 19, KCKA, a PBS station serving Centralia, WA, and the surrounding area. A little bit of signal spills over into Vancouver and Portland through the gap created by the Columbia.

Alderem

Post by Alderem »

Ah. Then, a coincidence :) I see the 15.x virtuals in the HDHomeRun channel list... but for the signal strength, that's physical/RF 15 that I was examining.

adaptive

Post by adaptive »

Hi everyone,

I just received the new Quatro 4K unit but I am unable to hear the HVEC channels on the Fire TV Stick 4K. Additionally the HDHomeRun app crashes when viewing some of the HEVC channels. Is it because of the signal strength or because of the limitation of the Fire TV hardware?

Thanks!

Alderem

Post by Alderem »

Hi adaptive, a few things:
  • Go to my.hdhomerun.com and choose your device, and upgrade the firmware, as it may have not arrived with the latest firmware (20201030).
  • FireTVs don't seem to currently support MP-4 audio decoding. See Video but not sound. This is affecting many platforms.
  • Make sure you've updated to the latest HDHomeRun App for the FireTV, the most recent update was submitted as noted on 30 Oct 2020.
  • I can confirm that with the right codecs on Windows 10 you'll be able to see AND hear the new video streams. Launch the HDHomeRun App on Windows 10 as installed from the Windows Store, and it will lead you through the steps to install the necessary codecs (without having to pay for them). You may have to launch the app several times to get them all.
  • There are 7 channels in the Portland area streaming the new standard, but none of them are any higher quality than the old standard (no-one has started streaming 4k content). It seems the industry is still very much in the "testing this new thing out" mode.

adaptive

Post by adaptive »

Hi Alderem,

I had already downloaded the latest firmware before running the channel scan. All channels are coming in through just fine. Unfortunately the audio issues are an issue for me given that I can't run it through the fire tv HDHomeRun app.

Thanks for the help!

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Alderem wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:16 pm Hi adaptive, a few things:
  • Go to my.hdhomerun.com and choose your device, and upgrade the firmware, as it may have not arrived with the latest firmware (20201030).
  • FireTVs don't seem to currently support MP-4 audio decoding. See Video but not sound. This is affecting many platforms.
  • Make sure you've updated to the latest HDHomeRun App for the FireTV, the most recent update was submitted as noted on 30 Oct 2020.
  • I can confirm that with the right codecs on Windows 10 you'll be able to see AND hear the new video streams. Launch the HDHomeRun App on Windows 10 as installed from the Windows Store, and it will lead you through the steps to install the necessary codecs (without having to pay for them). You may have to launch the app several times to get them all.
  • There are 7 channels in the Portland area streaming the new standard, but none of them are any higher quality than the old standard (no-one has started streaming 4k content). It seems the industry is still very much in the "testing this new thing out" mode.
I noticed the lack of actual 4k being displayed on my setup as well and thought maybe it was a false claim of 1080i max instead of 4k, thanks for posting this.
Now if all my various platforms start supporting AC4 maybe I'll actually be able to hear the hevc channels as well. They finally have audio on 10 at least.

adaptive

Post by adaptive »

I just received an update from Silicondust Support team that they will release a new update for the HDHomerun app for the FireTV 4K hardware soon. No exact date was provided.

Let's hope that it fixes not just the audio issue but also the fact that the application would crash from time to time when viewing the HEVC channels.

I wish the local stations would do a better job of communicating when they plan on starting to broadcast any programming in 4K. I am so curious to see the quality of the broadcast.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

adaptive wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 am I just received an update from Silicondust Support team that they will release a new update for the HDHomerun app for the FireTV 4K hardware soon. No exact date was provided.
viewtopic.php?p=365827#p365827

adaptive

Post by adaptive »

darcilicious wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:37 am
adaptive wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 am I just received an update from Silicondust Support team that they will release a new update for the HDHomerun app for the FireTV 4K hardware soon. No exact date was provided.
viewtopic.php?p=365827#p365827
Thanks for sharing. I wasn't following that thread.

KU7PDX
Device ID: 1080277F

Post by KU7PDX »

adaptive wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 am I wish the local stations would do a better job of communicating when they plan on starting to broadcast any programming in 4K. I am so curious to see the quality of the broadcast.
As soon as the networks start broadcasting in 4K (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS), you'll see it start coming to local markets. It will be well publicized too.

adaptive

Post by adaptive »

I just installed the HEVC codec on Windows 10 and on the HEVC channels I encountered 2 issues:
- the signal freezes from time to time (multiple HEVC channels)
- one strange audio issue on ch. 12.1.

For channel 12.1 while watching the NFL Thursday night game I only hearing the background sound of the game but not the commentary. Also, it weird was that while commercials were playing I was hearing the background music but none of the actual words that accompany the commercials.

Has anyone experienced these issue so far?

Reception is great.

Virtual Channel 12.1 KPTV
Frequency 569.000 MHz
Program Number 2
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 100%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 4.674 Mbps

Post Update: Same audio issue happened on NBC HEVC broadcast during the Sunday night NFL game.
Last edited by adaptive on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Yes, I have had similar audio issues on 12.1 / Fox during NFL Football and watching on the Apple TV 4K app from SiliconDust on a previous firmware. Currently, I get no audio on ATSC 3.0 channels with the HDHomeRun app.

EDITED to provide clarifying details.