Any reception improvement on ATSC 3.0?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Any reception improvement on ATSC 3.0?

Post by dcalder »

Is there anything about this technology that improves the reception?

I live in Walnut Creek, Ca (20 miles from San Fran, 60 miles from Sacramento and 60 miles from San Jose). I can only regularly receive one station clearly (a Spanish language station). Seems they have written off my community. I'm not in a canyon but there are some hills surrounding the area. Even FM radio reception is terrible in this area.

Previous owners of my house had a 30 ft pole on their external antenna, which did some good (about 10 stations), but when the digital conversion happened even that wasn't enough. I'm totally tied to cable. Luckily I convinced Wave Cable to not DRM most of their stations, so my HDHR Cablecard keeps me connected and DVRed, but I sure wish I could do more with OTA (over the air). Hence my question....thanks.

unwiredben

Re: Any reception improvement on ATSC 3.0?

Post by unwiredben »

It depends on how the broadcasters deploy it. ATSC 3.0 can be setup as a network of transmitters working together, similar to how cell towers work, where you can have smaller transmitters filling in gap areas. You can also send broadcast data over the internet to receivers where they'll combine it with the OTA signal to fill in services like second languages or higher bitrate enhancement. Initially, most metros with ATSC 3 will just have a couple of transmitters, often at lower power than the ATSC 1 system, so it will be a while before coverage is better.

Joero

Post by Joero »

Doesnt seem like it...at least not on my end. Went from pulling in 70+ channels to 38 . .

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

Joero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:45 pm Doesnt seem like it...at least not on my end. Went from pulling in 70+ channels to 38 . .
Very weird. That shouldn't be happening. Perhaps it occurs because the new ATSC 3 station(s) in your area is(are) causing co or adjacent channel interference?