Re: how to disable atsc3.0

Post by AzJazz »

How do I modify the lineup.json file?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

You don't... what I was saying was a SUGGESTION for a change that SD would have to make to their tuners' firmware since they have always seemed to not want the capability to manually add a channel to the scan.

AzJazz

Post by AzJazz »

Ah, my misunderstanding.

grawdon

Post by grawdon »

Any progress on this? I'm beginning to regret my decision to buy the latest hardware since it means I can't see ABC or NBC here in OKC. Seems like being able to disable the ATSC 3.0 channels shouldn't be that hard. I'd be happy to disable the two ATSC 3.0 capable tuners now and only use two until the playback software catches up.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

grawdon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:36 pm Any progress on this?
Yes, per this post: viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74534

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

I too regret investing right now in the ASTC 3.0 tuner as there is no way to use it with other tuners in the HDhomerun APP... it is only ok if you happen to only have the ATSC 3.0 tuner.

mooninite

Post by mooninite »

Actually this is a great opportunity to get into the ears of your local networks and voice your displeasure at their choice of AC-4 for audio.

I realize that they may have chose it for technical reasons (better compression) but the amount of savings is very small in the overall payload. I would say it was more of a financial reason (payment from Dolby Labs). Give that feedback that your TV device of your choice does NOT work with their decision. Lost viewers = lost ad revenue. No amount of pay-off from Dolby will make up for it.

Perhaps in 3-5 years AC-4 support will be more widespread and networks can switch to it, but not right now if they want a rapid transition to 3.0.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

AC-4 support is a requirement for NextGen compliant TVs, so people who are buying ATSC 3.0 capable TVs won't run into this issue. And frankly, any revenue they would potentially get from HDHomeRun users is minimal, especially since we likely won't be participating in the more money making aspects of ATSC 3.0 like hyper local ads and real time reporting back to the station, or encrypted subscription services that even if HDHomeRun is able to find a way to support, it likely won't work with 3rd party viewers like Kodi, Plex and VLC. Plus with the upcoming firmware update, both the ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 versions will be displayed, so you won't be missing those channels anymore.

Once the various HDHomeRun apps get their updates, the lack of AC-4 support will mainly affect people using older devices without built in support, or people trying to watch with 3rd party software based on FFmpeg like Plex/VLC/Kodi. It's the same with the 1080i HEVC showing up as 1920x540p issue that FFmpeg has, NextGen compliant TVs won't have this issue since supporting 1080i HEVC is one of the ATSC 3.0 requirements. Once they finish with the upgrades and patches, people on Windows 10 and newer Apple devices should be good, but Linux, Windows 7, Windows 8 and older Apples will likely be out of luck until an open source AC4 codec becomes available. (Or in Apple's case if they ever change their mind and add support to all devices capable of installing the latest OS instead of only providing it for newer models)

It's basically the modern day equivelent of being an early adopter of ATSC tuners for your PC where if you didn't have a graphics card capable of MPEG2 accelleration you needed what was at the time considered a high-end CPU to use one, and if you wanted to use it outside of the software that came with your tuner card, you needed to purchase MPEG2/AC3 codecs for DirectShow until the open source community caught up and FFmpeg and VLC added support for key features that applied to live ATSC broadcasts. When the HDHomerun app first came out for Android, audio didn't work there either until they added their own built in AC3 decoder or you were using one of their transcoding tuners.

I.e. older models of the Nvidia Shield don't even support Dolby Digital natively (despite people on NVidia's forums begging them to officially add support like many other devices did), it requires you to have a TV or AV receiver that will decode it via HDMI passthru, on the otherhand my cheap AT&T Prepaid Samsung Galaxy J3 from 2018 has built in AC3, E-AC3 and AC4 support, while my Galaxy Tab S2 from 2015 that stopped getting updates after Nougat doesn't. I think it's the same with Roku too, it only supports Dolby Digital via passthru.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

plnota wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:16 pm For the no audio issue, check the stickied topic about no audio.

HEVC is the video codec, so buying it won't solve the audio issue.
This stmt is not true. Install the SD app from the windows store and the open it and change the channel to a atsc3.0 broadcast and it will prompt you to install the HEVC codec and it fixes video AND audio.

plnota

Post by plnota »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:28 pm
plnota wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:16 pm For the no audio issue, check the stickied topic about no audio.

This stmt is not true. Install the SD app from the windows store and the open it and change the channel to a atsc3.0 broadcast and it will prompt you to install the HEVC codec and it fixes video AND audio.
You already had the audio codec then, and just needed to buy the video codec. Also, my comment was from over a month ago, when it was a different issue being discussed.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

dworkd97 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Bluehawk wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:31 pm
bgrubb1 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:10 pm @Garyr
just to confirm - in Phoenix you are not able to get audio on any 3.0 channels ?
...Barry
I'm not getting any audio.
This is correct. I am wondering if I need to purchase the HVEC codec from the Microsoft Store? Has anyone here purchased it and can verify it works?

It does work if u install the hdhomerun sw from the windows store. I did this on Friday and the SD app can tune the atsc3.0 video and audio in windows 10.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

plnota wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Crash*N*Burn wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:28 pm

You already had the audio codec then, and just needed to buy the video codec. Also, my comment was from over a month ago, when it was a different issue being discussed.
Obviously I didn't, as I could play video on other apps but had no sound, yes those apps may not have AC-4 codecs, point is neither did the SD app until the HEVC codec install. As this was proven having install the SD from the website and was able to see the video from the ATSC 3.0 feed but no audio.