Software support for new HDHomeRun 4K Quatro

ATSC 3.0 Forum
m_theredhead

Software support for new HDHomeRun 4K Quatro

Post by m_theredhead »

Hello,

Is there any word or a thread discussing what software will support the new HDHomeRun 4K Quatro when it is released?

I know there was some discussion of it on the mythtv mailing list, but I was wondering about other software like Plex, etc.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Software support for new HDHomeRun 4K Quatro

Post by jasonl »

The basic mode for the 4K is that tuning by vchannel (i.e. http tuning that is used by the HDHomeRun DVR, Plex and many other apps) will repackage the broadcast into a standard MPEG TS that is basically the same as what comes from a legacy ATSC broadcast, albeit with whatever audio and video codecs the broadcaster happens to be using. This will allow many applications to continue working with little to no modification assuming they support the audio and video codecs that your local broadcaster happens to be using. There's potentially a lot more to ATSC 3 than just the video and audio data though, and anything beyond the basic support is almost certainly going to require any applications that want to support it to actually implement the ATSC 3 specs themselves. How all of that will work with the hardware is likely something that will be developed over time. Silicondust has always been open to opening things up (where possible) to third-party developers to let them write their own software to work with the HDHomeRun hardware, and I expect that to continue on with this new model. And of course none of those developers are able to commit to anything before they have hardware to work with and actual broadcasts to use it with.

wayner

Post by wayner »

I am a longtime SageTV user and HDHR products have been very well supported in SageTV in the past. The hope is that ATSC 3.0 files should also work in SageTV assuming that you have the correct client devices to playback 4K and HEVC - where that is applicable. This is an issue as the best client for SageTV have been proprietary SageTV extenders like the HD300 and HD200 which are now about a decade old and cannot play 4K or HEVC, unless transcoded. Generally on a LAN SageTV does not transcode.

Hopefully it takes no, or very little, work to implement in SageTV as the SageTV development community has been shrinking in recent years.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I think OpenDCT supports vchannel tuning with all modern HDHomeRun devices, so that would probably work either out of the box or with minor modifications, assuming SageTV itself can figure out how to decode HEVC and whatever audio codec is in use. I would not expect any effort to be made to try to hammer a square peg into a round hold to make the legacy BDA system work.

RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

jasonl wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:00 pm
The basic mode for the 4K is that tuning by vchannel (i.e. http tuning that is used by the HDHomeRun DVR, Plex and many other apps) will repackage the broadcast into a standard MPEG TS that is basically the same as what comes from a legacy ATSC broadcast, albeit with whatever audio and video codecs the broadcaster happens to be using. This will allow many applications to continue working with little to no modification assuming they support the audio and video codecs that your local broadcaster happens to be using. There's potentially a lot more to ATSC 3 than just the video and audio data though, and anything beyond the basic support is almost certainly going to require any applications that want to support it to actually implement the ATSC 3 specs themselves. How all of that will work with the hardware is likely something that will be developed over time. Silicondust has always been open to opening things up (where possible) to third-party developers to let them write their own software to work with the HDHomeRun hardware, and I expect that to continue on with this new model. And of course none of those developers are able to commit to anything before they have hardware to work with and actual broadcasts to use it with.
I know this is probably a stupid question but, when stated that it will repackage into a standard MPEG TS, that does not mean the MPEG-2 CODEC, does it? If the native CODEC is HEVC, it will still remain in HEVC, correct?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The codec used inside the mpeg transport stream may or may not use the mpeg 2 codec... typically ATSC 3.0 is expected to use HEVC or h.264 for video... audio for most will probably continue to be AC3 but may use eac3, ac4 or aac.

Since the device does not do any transcoding, what is in the stream will be whatever was broadcast.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

ATSC 3.0 - video is always HEVC. Audio will usually be AC4 but is sometimes AAC.

Nick