warranty/support

ATSC 3.0 Forum
sgarfinkle

warranty/support

Post by sgarfinkle »

What will be the terms of support & warranty for these boxes? Normally, the quatro has a one year warranty and by buying with an Amex or Costco Visa I get a one or two year extension. It seems like if I "contribute" to the kickstarter, I am getting an early beta (which is fine, and should even be fun) but maybe losing out on the warranty end? Optimally I'm looking here for an invoice when it actually ships along with a statement of one (or, better 2) year warranty. Considering that my last hdhr duo just sort of up and died after a year, it's not a trivial question.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: warranty/support

Post by NedS »

The HDHR5-4K comes with a full normal one year warranty, just like all of our other products.

sgarfinkle

Post by sgarfinkle »

NedS wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:24 am
The HDHR5-4K comes with a full normal one year warranty, just like all of our other products.
Good to know! Will we also get an invoice showing this as a purchase? Because otherwise, from the point of view of the credit card companies, all we have done is contributed to kickstarter, not made a purchase of the device.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

NedS wrote:
Since some folks may not even have ATSC 3.0 signals in their area until mid-2021 or later, is there any possibility of offering a longer warranty term for this product?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

sgarfinkle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:29 am
NedS wrote:
Good to know! Will we also get an invoice showing this as a purchase? Because otherwise, from the point of view of the credit card companies, all we have done is contributed to kickstarter, not made a purchase of the device.
I assume this will be like any other kickstarter reward. If your credit card company doesn't believe the charge that was made, I don't see how us creating an invoice of some kind would be any different.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

tonywagner wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 am
NedS wrote:
Since some folks may not even have ATSC 3.0 signals in their area until mid-2021 or later, is there any possibility of offering a longer warranty term for this product?
EDIT: per Nick's message, the warranty starts based on date purchased. The system that shows us when the unit first powers on is only used for minor adjustments where units from the same batch might be sold at different times (such as a number of items in a warehouse, shipping times, etc). Customers who don't think they will be using ATSC 3.0 for another year should hold off until we have normal production runs of ATSC 3.0 tuners.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

NedS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:01 am
Warranty only starts counting down when the unit is powered on.
Interesting — I did not know that. Thanks!

sgarfinkle

Post by sgarfinkle »

NedS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:59 am
sgarfinkle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:29 am
I assume this will be like any other kickstarter reward. If your credit card company doesn't believe the charge that was made, I don't see how us creating an invoice of some kind would be any different.
It isn't a question of whether they believe a charge was made at all. It's what the charge is for. If I make a $199 contribution I believe I get a receipt that says I paid kickstarter $199, not Silicondust. Anyway, the benefits administrator just told me that if it becomes necessary that they would work with me, so I'll take that as setttled. Just posting this for others' benefit (no pun intended) -- YMMV.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Clarifying...

The warranty period starts at the day of purchase based on the purchase receipt.

We have a system that estimates the warranty period based on first use of the unit and/or units from the same production batch. We use this system to reduce the number of situations where we need to ask for the purchase receipt.

In the case of Kickstarter the there is a delay between purchase and delivery which we will account for.

Nick