List of ATSC 3.0 stations?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
duster101

Re: List of ATSC 3.0 stations?

Post by duster101 »

plnota wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 pm
duster101 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:53 pm Sorry if this is a noob question, but i've been following the ASTC 3.0 news for a while and never found the exact answer....

When the stations upgrade to the ATSC3.0 standard is the tower location going to change?

Im in Dallas.....so we have 1 station using ATSC3.0 but its nothing I want to watch...additionally, my antenna is pointed directly at the current tower farm for the major networks and I have limited options to rotate it to other areas (surrounded by large trees and houses)....Im hoping the new stations use the existing towers to transmit the upgraded signal (when they finally get there).
KSTR is transmitting from the same location as pretty much all of the other stations - Cedar Hill. If you get CBS, PBS, CW, and all the other major stations, you'll get KSTR. If any of the other major stations switch to ATSC 3.0, they'll either reuse their existing transmitter, or possibly another transmitter but in the same location, as it's the best place to cover both sides of the metroplex (Dallas and Ft Worth).
Awesome! I assumed as much...that's exactly what I was assuming, but had not heard or seen that yet.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

My understanding for atsc 3.0 kstr is using a distributed method transmitting from 4 or 5 towers on the same frequency (i believe in addition to cedar hill they have garland, Denton, ft worth and sometimes I see Irving thrown in the list).

plnota

Post by plnota »

signcarver wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:37 pm My understanding for atsc 3.0 kstr is using a distributed method transmitting from 4 or 5 towers on the same frequency (i believe in addition to cedar hill they have garland, Denton, ft worth and sometimes I see Irving thrown in the list).
KSTR's DTS test ended in July. They're back to transmitting from just a single transmitter in Cedar Hill again.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Are you sure as I haven't seen that it concluded? That date (last year?) sounds more like when they changed frequencies... some sources wording made it sound like they stopped rather than that all actually (eventually) changed and the test resumed..

plnota

Post by plnota »

signcarver wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm Are you sure as I haven't seen that it concluded? That date (last year?) sounds more like when they changed frequencies... some sources wording made it sound like they stopped rather than that all actually (eventually) changed and the test resumed..
KSTR changed frequencies in July 2019, after which they resumed DTS testing. KSTR's STA for their DTS system expired July 2020 (was actually supposed to expire in March, but they got an extension due to Covid and other issues): https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... 4b753a036c

The current, proper, NextGen license they have is just for their main transmitter: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... 4ada212275

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

8-)

plnota

Post by plnota »

jasonl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:04 pm 8-)
Looks like someone lucky got an early unit! What are the video resolutions, and what's showing on 49.2 UNM 2? Is it Grit? Or something else?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I don't know. None of them are playing right now and it looks like there might be some required metadata missing from the encoded video. Their FCC filing back in August said they were replacing the encoder due to a failure, so my guess is the new one still needs some settings adjusted. They still haven't filed paperwork with the FCC to indicate the broadcast is officially back online, so they might be waiting to do that until the encoder is fully configured.

denfireguy

Post by denfireguy »

charles wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:27 pm Here is an article from yesterday. We should be getting a progress update 5/11 from the ATSC group.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/amp/news/a ... -available
The map on this page outlines market ADIs (Areas of Dominant Influence) rather than RF coverage. It includes Cable TV coverage. In my home state of Colorado, the blue footprint is the Denver ADI. The Denver stations RF footprint barely covers the five county metro area. The rest of the blue is covered by translators, cable TV and satellite providers. Part of Colorado is considered to be in the Albuquerque ADI while the balance is in Colorado Springs/Pueblo area. ATSC 3.0 will not be immediately available on translators. Cable and satellite will not initially offer 4K and will use a different transmission means than ATSC 3.0 when they do.
Craig

jmcgeejr

Post by jmcgeejr »

For those of you in seattle, I have reached out to all the major stations, so far only reply I got was from Komo and they said The target launch date is December 8th at 10am PST.

charles

Post by charles »

jmcgeejr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am For those of you in seattle, I have reached out to all the major stations, so far only reply I got was from Komo and they said The target launch date is December 8th at 10am PST.
Thank you for doing that! Well at least I have some idea of when I can try it. Gotta be patient 😅

jmcgeejr

Post by jmcgeejr »

charles wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:20 pm
jmcgeejr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am For those of you in seattle, I have reached out to all the major stations, so far only reply I got was from Komo and they said The target launch date is December 8th at 10am PST.
Thank you for doing that! Well at least I have some idea of when I can try it. Gotta be patient 😅
Charles I heard back from Kiro, they are shooting for December/January, if you want to DM me and give me an email address or google chat info we can keep in touch via that, as I'm rarely on this board.

jmcgeejr

Post by jmcgeejr »

Another seattle update, King 5 is also on target for the December cutover.

scyto

Post by scyto »

hehe didn't realize you hung out here too, thanks for doing that!
i guess once we have channels maybe we should have a seattle area thread? reddit? or discord? i have discord server if we want.

jmcgeejr

Post by jmcgeejr »

scyto wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:16 pm
hehe didn't realize you hung out here too, thanks for doing that!
i guess once we have channels maybe we should have a seattle area thread? reddit? or discord? i have discord server if we want.
Yeah small world right? Yeah probably our own thread would be good, once we get closer and/or I have more info I start one. I'm not on here all that often really.