What's a good graphics card to handle HEVC, maybe in a Plex box?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
charles

What's a good graphics card to handle HEVC, maybe in a Plex box?

Post by charles »

I have a 2011 era Intel system in the basement that seems like it'd be a good candidate to run the DVR server without spending even more money, but I would need to add a compatible graphics card.

edit: it's running Windows 10

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: What's a good graphics card to handle HEVC, maybe in a Plex box?

Post by signcarver »

charles wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:17 pm
I have a 2011 era Intel system in the basement that seems like it'd be a good candidate to run the DVR server without spending even more money, but I would need to add a compatible graphics card.

edit: it's running Windows 10
I'm a little confused as you stated "DVR server" and a server typically doesn't need much in the way of a graphics card (most run headless). It is typically the client that needs such card not the server. Personally for anything hevc, I suggest always having a 6th gen or later when it comes to intel. And if you are thinking your server is going to transcode hevc to h.264 or something else that your client would prefer, I would generally say forget about it, unless it is for some nightly process to make other files and even then I would strongly suggest to reconsider.

charles

Post by charles »

Plex server does hardware transcoding to the clients. That's how it works

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

My point was that my suggestion is that you should never even think about hardware transcoding hevc to something else and this part of the forum the content is (most likely) already in hevc thus should not be transcoded. I strongly suggest you get your clients able to handle HEVC natively.

However for intel you would most likely need at least a 6th gen or later CPU (preferably 8th gen or later... if pentium/celeron, look at "comparable" chip series of same year) as typically plex uses intel quicksync for transcoding... otherwise with plex I believe you would need an nvidia card and at least a 1050 (pascal) but would probably suggest a 1660 (turing) or better.

turns2stone

Post by turns2stone »

This is a good thread.

My current Connect Duo feeds my Plex server running a Late 2014 Mac mini, which is Haswell based, and can’t support hardware based (Intel Quick Sync) HEVC decoding. I have two other boxes, one with a Skylake Xeon CPU, the other with a Coffee Lake Xeon CPU. I assume ATSC 3.0 uses 8-bit HEVC, which either box can handle. Only Coffee Lake supports 10-bit HEVC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Transcoding to HEVC you really want the latest gen Nvidia GTX16-series or RTX20-series.

My testing has been with the GTX1660 Ti.

Nick

charles

Post by charles »

nickk wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:35 pm
Transcoding to HEVC you really want the latest gen Nvidia GTX16-series or RTX20-series.

My testing has been with the GTX1660 Ti.

Nick
Oof that's better than what I play games with :lol:

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The GTX1050 is reasonable for HEVC encode and pretty cheap.

It is just that the GTX16-series is a further improvement.

Quick NewEgg search - it looks like you can buy a GTX1650 for $159.99 - if you don't already have at least a GTX1050 I would recommend the GTX1650.

Nick

charles

Post by charles »

Ok, if a GTX 1060 can do it, then maybe I can swap my desktop PC (1060) to something better for games and give it to the old one :)

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Currently I run an unraid server with Plex and NextPVR in a docker and for Plex I have a Nvidia Quattro p2000 doing my transcoding of movie and tv files accessed off my home network. Hopefully NextPVR at some point will allow me to use that card but who knows. It's running an and 2700x and 32gb of ram.

sub

Post by sub »

Crash*N*Burn wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:47 pm
Currently I run an unraid server with Plex and NextPVR in a docker and for Plex I have a Nvidia Quattro p2000 doing my transcoding of movie and tv files accessed off my home network. Hopefully NextPVR at some point will allow me to use that card but who knows. It's running an and 2700x and 32gb of ram.
We should be able to get your P2000 running in Docker with NextPVR. Post over at the NextPVR forums and we'll see what we can do. If this device supports vaapi, then it should already be doable with a couple of docker arguments.

FYI, I've got a P4000 in machine, but that's running Windows, so haven't explicitly tested that combination.