Privacy with Viewer Tracking

ATSC 3.0 Forum
xbob

Privacy with Viewer Tracking

Post by xbob »

With the new rev, it will allow the stations to track what their viewers are watching. Will/can you guys provide that as an option to only be used as a receiver and not a transceiver?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Privacy with Viewer Tracking

Post by NedS »

I'm not sure on the specific details, so I'll leave this to Nick to answer, but consumer privacy is a major priority for us.

shspvr

Post by shspvr »

xbob wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:36 pm
With the new rev, it will allow the stations to track what their viewers are watching. Will/can you guys provide that as an option to only be used as a receiver and not a transceiver?
I would worry to much about it be side this get more accurate reading on show watch not your personal information unless you scribe Pay Service add on channel

bluehorizon

Post by bluehorizon »

Asked a different way...

The ATSC 3.0 standard includes an IP data return path (which I believe is via your Internet broadband connection, not the ATSC tuner). But this seems to be primarily for audience measurement and targeted advertising. (In theory, it could also be used for unlocking DRM'ed streams too).

If all we want is to record the HEVC broadcast video (e.g using JellyFish, Plex or another DVR solution) like we do with the MPEG stream and ATSC 1.0 tuners today, can we do that with the new ATSC 3.0 box?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

shspvr wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 am
I would worry to much about it be side this get more accurate reading on show watch not your personal information unless you scribe Pay Service add on channel
I'm not worried but I would still like to hear what Nick has to say about it.

n8o

Post by n8o »

The Spec includes Dedicated Return Channel for some rich content.
https://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uploads ... hannel.pdf

This allows data to be returned without the need of any out of band broadband connection.

I would like to know if this is supported as well. I would hope that it is.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The simplest tracking will likely be where the channel includes interactive content (ie HTML/JS content) in the stream, which the client may display. HTML/JS content can include pulling additional resources via the internet which can be tracked.

We have yet to see how broadcasters are going to leverage interactive content.

Nick