Windows 7 x64

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Windows 7 x64

Post by Ken.F »

tonywagner wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:55 pm
But sports aren't DRM, and they are generally available from some streaming providers as well as cable (without long-term contracts, so one can subscribe for a season as needed).
FS1 is DRM. The last time I checked you couldn't stream NASCAR.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:05 pm
FS1 is DRM. The last time I checked you couldn't stream NASCAR.
I guess some cable providers put DRM on lots of stuff, I was thinking mainly HBO and such.

You can actually watch DRM content with the Silicondust apps -- you just can't record it. This would work well for live content like sports.

As far as NASCAR, Fox Sports and NBC Sports are available from streaming providers. Are there other networks you need for NASCAR?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

tonywagner wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:32 pm
I guess some cable providers put DRM on lots of stuff, I was thinking mainly HBO and such.

You can actually watch DRM content with the Silicondust apps -- you just can't record it. This would work well for live content like sports.

As far as NASCAR, Fox Sports and NBC Sports are available from streaming providers. Are there other networks you need for NASCAR?
This is getting way off topic so apologies to the OP.

NASCAR was just one sports example. I don't want to screw around with 12 different streaming services so I can record and watch the content that I want to watch when WMC can do it all. The very first day HDHomeRun DVR becomes capable of recording DRM I'll get rid of WMC.Today is not that day.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

tonywagner wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:51 pm
If you're talking about browsing/streaming from sketchy internet sites, that's high-risk activity regardless of OS. But for most Win7 HTPC users, there wasn't really a dramatic change in risk in January 2020.
Browsing anything. With something like a font or image processing vulnerability, all it takes is hitting a website or opening an email containing a file designed to exploit the vulnerability. Even a site that you fully trust might still load ads from who knows what site that might be loading who knows what images or fonts, and that could potentially lead to problems. If I was still using a Windows 7 PC for WMC, I'd be running a software firewall in extreme lockdown mode, with the only traffic going in or out being EPG123 fetching guide listings, communication to/from the HDHomeRun, and something to keep the clock synced, and it would all be behind a router acting as a secondary firewall to keep it isolated on its own subnet. No email, no web browsing, no nothing. It runs WMC and that is all it does.

rbknox

Post by rbknox »

nickk wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:19 am
As long as your Windows 7 system has a DirectShow HEVC codec installed the HDHomeRun app for Windows 7/8 should play content. WMC won't work.

Will test here.

Nick
Nick,
Can you elaborate on why the Quatro 4K won't work with WMC? I believe there are hevc codecs (Shark) that will work with WMC. Seems if something will work with Windows 7/8, it should work on WMC. My interest would be with WMC running on 8.1. Also you mentioned you would test (Windows 7 with DirectShow HEVC) - have you had a chance to do that?

Thanks,

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte »

jasonl wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:30 pm
tonywagner wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:51 pm
If you're talking about browsing/streaming from sketchy internet sites, that's high-risk activity regardless of OS. But for most Win7 HTPC users, there wasn't really a dramatic change in risk in January 2020.
Browsing anything. With something like a font or image processing vulnerability, all it takes is hitting a website or opening an email containing a file designed to exploit the vulnerability. Even a site that you fully trust might still load ads from who knows what site that might be loading who knows what images or fonts, and that could potentially lead to problems. If I was still using a Windows 7 PC for WMC, I'd be running a software firewall in extreme lockdown mode, with the only traffic going in or out being EPG123 fetching guide listings, communication to/from the HDHomeRun, and something to keep the clock synced, and it would all be behind a router acting as a secondary firewall to keep it isolated on its own subnet. No email, no web browsing, no nothing. It runs WMC and that is all it does.
I don't bother with any of this, and all of my personal PC's run Windows 7 and will continue to do so for as long as I can make them, or until a critical software component can no longer function on Win7. I have real world, daily personal experience running Windows 7 without a single security update in over 5 years. I also don't cater to the ideas that the holes in one operating system are any larger than those of another, or that Microsoft is capable of properly closing those holes (or more accurately, even finding them).

My approach is very simple. Any machine connected to the Internet is vulnerable to a degree that can't be known regardless of operating system, so I keep full offline imagine backups of every PC I own and/or operate. After nearly 3 decades of daily PC experience, the usual need for a restored backup on my PC's isn't due to the Internet.

I do appreciate the OP's intent with this thread.

CBRworm

Post by CBRworm »

I'd also be interested in WMC compatibility. I still use Win 8.1 WMC at every TV in the house, 4K non-tv content works w/ Shark007 codecs, obviously, this is different than being able to record and watch 4K live TV. I would be interested in adding an ATSC 3 tuner to my current solution. My current tuners are 3 HDHR-CC tuners, so 9 CC tuners in all, so I already have faith in SilconDust hardware. I use Plex for our mobile devices, but I still prefer the WMC interface and Harmony remote controls.

rbknox

Post by rbknox »

rbknox wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:51 pm
nickk wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:19 am
As long as your Windows 7 system has a DirectShow HEVC codec installed the HDHomeRun app for Windows 7/8 should play content. WMC won't work.

Will test here.

Nick
Nick,
Can you elaborate on why the Quatro 4K won't work with WMC? I believe there are hevc codecs (Shark) that will work with WMC. Seems if something will work with Windows 7/8, it should work on WMC. My interest would be with WMC running on 8.1. Also you mentioned you would test (Windows 7 with DirectShow HEVC) - have you had a chance to do that?

Thanks,
Anything further here?

Thanks,