HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Dartman

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Dartman »

Well I'm in even though I still have cable and a Prime. Maybe now I can capture some native 4k hdr stuff seeing how it says Portland Ore is one of the markets doing test runs. I'm sure I can find a cheap antenna somewhere.
My buddy uses a bunch of quatros I think and records all the local news and things to share on his Plex server so wonder if he jumped in on this. Anyways it's always fun to be on the ground floor of something new.
I'm no 594 on the regular list unless somebody can talk me into jumping up to the developers edition :D
I have a win7 and 10 box and the 10 has a GTX 1070 ftw so it should be fine for 4k with 32 gig and a old i7 4960x.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

mooninite wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pmBesides DRM the fact that HEVC is the selected codec is not great. HEVC is worse than H.264 when it comes to licensing. I will dream that AV1 will replace it, but it may require ATSC 4.0 for a codec change to occur.
I'm thought I read that ATSC 3.0 would be codec-agnostic (unlike ATSC 1.0)? Although it does seem to be pointing to HEVC.

But then I've also read this:

https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/cont ... s-solution
a March 2018 HEVC Advance press release announced that it had eliminated “subscription” and “title-by-title” content distribution from the HEVC Advance Patent License. “HEVC Advance will no longer license nor seek royalty fees for non-physical HEVC content distribution including Internet streaming, cable, over-the-air broadcast, and satellite,” it said.
Last edited by tonywagner on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

SD, why not have all 4 tuners be 3.0 capable? I understand it would be more expensive, but with as fast as you have sold them via Kickstarter, it doesn't seem like this $200 price point was critical.

Most of us that will see/support the Kickstarter are hobbyists who already have a ton of ATSC 1.0 tuners. I'd rather pay more than $200 and just get four 3.0 capable tuners, and have a device that is future-proofed a bit better.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

tonywagner wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:45 pm SD, why not have all 4 tuners be 3.0 capable? I understand it would be more expensive, but with as fast as you have sold them via Kickstarter, it doesn't seem like this $200 price point was critical.

Most of us that will see/support the Kickstarter are hobbyists who already have a ton of ATSC 1.0 tuners. I'd rather pay more than $200 and just get four 3.0 capable tuners, and have a device that is future-proofed a bit better.
I added a quick FAQ on this...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... oject-faqs

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 pm I added a quick FAQ on this...
Thanks Nick! I guess I'd still be curious what a four 3.0 tuner device would cost, and how many of your Kickstarter folks would pay for the upgrade.

JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Chupon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am Will CableCARD ever support 4k content? What would be the best option to future proof myself for ATSC 3.0? Will I need any other new hardware here? New TV? New Graphics card, etc?
CableCARD already supports 4K HDR content and Verizon FIOS intermittently broadcasts sporting events in this format depending on it's contract with the source provider.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

Jsherman wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:07 pm Will the Ethernet port be gigabit based?
No gigabit ethernet necessary, according to their project FAQ:

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

JerryB wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 pm
Chupon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am Will CableCARD ever support 4k content? What would be the best option to future proof myself for ATSC 3.0? Will I need any other new hardware here? New TV? New Graphics card, etc?
CableCARD already supports 4K HDR content and Verizon FIOS intermittently broadcasts sporting events in this format depending on it's contract with the source provider.
Well, the question is cable card supports 4k content but I doubt my Prime does, if it actually does somehow bonus...
I don't have a 4k box yet but...

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

Will the HDHomeRun DVR software support recording of ATSC3.0 from this box? I have the DVR running on a WD NAS. Will that be supported?

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Well said screw it and upped to the developers edition. Might as well have all the toys to play with and maybe it'll help them if needed from us. I got my stimulus and still had some refund left, plus the extra on unemployment so we should be fine and I'll have a new toy to play with if we are still locked down by then. ;)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 »

jseymour wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:25 pm
Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm ATSC 3.0 has a DRM scheme ...
It has a scheme, but there's much debate as to whether it'll be implemented by any stations anytime soon. Or at all. If it is, and that seems to me likely, it won't be right out of the gate.
Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm This also means it may not work in players such as Emby, Plex or Channels DVR...
May not? For DRM'd content there's no "may" about it.
mooninite wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pm I do not use any Windows devices so if DRM is enforced I may have to sell my HDHomeRun if SiliconDust does not provide a "certified" solution for Linux or Android devices.
We won't be moving to ATSC 3.0 until we absolutely must. If DRM is enforced we'll probably drop OTA TV entirely.

It's kind of ironic, after we spent all this money on the system, but we really watch very, very little OTA TV now. Other than local "news," maybe only 3-4 programs/week?
Probably record 15 to 20 Local OTA shows a week! Could also get them by alternative means I suppose..

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 pm
tonywagner wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:45 pm SD, why not have all 4 tuners be 3.0 capable? I understand it would be more expensive, but with as fast as you have sold them via Kickstarter, it doesn't seem like this $200 price point was critical.

I added a quick FAQ on this...
Yet one more reason to steer clear from apple:
Apple TV is expected to play most video content, however Apple TV will not support ATSC 3.0 interactive content.

We reached out to Apple on this subject but they would not grant an exception to their policy of not allowing HTML/JS content on the Apple TV platform. HTML/JS support is required for ATSC 3.0 interactive content to work.

Playing ATSC 3.0 video content will require a third party app such as Channels.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

Can you make this so I can dedicate to Plex but omit from your DVR? The Prime6 has obviously s**t the bed, so can you make your current offerings more configurable please, so I can use more than one DVR?

JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Dartman wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:11 pm
JerryB wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 pm
Well, the question is cable card supports 4k content but I doubt my Prime does, if it actually does somehow bonus...
I don't have a 4k box yet but...
Since I watch and record 4K content from Verizon on my HDHR Prime, I don't see why your Prime wouldn't work, provided your Cable Provider transmits in 4K using QAM.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

When these things were released I don't think 4k was a big thing so never crossed my mind back then but the setup seems pretty open ended so it kinda makes sense that it works anyway as long as it can use whatever codec and all that it has. Comcast wants you to get a new 4k box so not sure if anything is in the open on their streaming here yet and I don't have a 4k box. HMMM...Guess if this ever happens it's good I recently picked up a refurbished 4tb enterprise drive cheap.