HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Les H

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Les H »

Ok Grumbles. You have exactly the same impression that I do. The LG TV internal tuners are the best currently available - but only good for that single TV. The old Connect Duo that I had was vastly inferior to the LG. So far the 4k tuner appears to be close to the LG tuner in performance under my difficult multipath conditions - of course 3.0 when its actually available and working should be far better. Patience.

Grumbles

Post by Grumbles »

Thanks for validating my observations.

Tying to be patient, no control over the ATSC 3.0 conversions, so am reflecting on my navel and saying ooommmmm

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Les H wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:32 am Ok Grumbles. You have exactly the same impression that I do. The LG TV internal tuners are the best currently available - but only good for that single TV. The old Connect Duo that I had was vastly inferior to the LG. So far the 4k tuner appears to be close to the LG tuner in performance under my difficult multipath conditions - of course 3.0 when its actually available and working should be far better. Patience.
In theory they should be identical, since it's a digital signal, but LG might be applying some processing that isn't available to normal apps.

Les H

Post by Les H »

This is one of those situations where theory doesn't fully work in practice. LG may have some proprietary algorithm in its processing that better tracks a dynamically changing multipath signal. I can watch for half an hour with no breakups on the LG, while other tuners are losing sync, breaking up and pixelating repeatedly. Some signals can't be received at all on other tuners that can be received with acceptable (though not perfect) stability on the LG.

Les H

Post by Les H »

I have to say that while watching the World Series on Fox the 4K has been doing an excellent job of hanging onto a mildly fluctuating signal due to multipath.

disp00

Post by disp00 »

bgrubb1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:06 pm Just received my unit in Phoenix market. I did see the post on timestamp issues in phoenix. Channel scan found the 4 ATSC channels 10.1, 15.1, 45.1 and 61.1
however I can view them on a PC with the HDHomerun app but no audio. I loaded the Microsoft ATMOS 7 day trial, still no audio.
tuning the channels on an Appletv 4K results in the video previously being watched freezes and no audio.
Ipad displays "unable to play channel"
Nvidia shield reports "Unable to play channel - End of audio stream"
Are these symptoms of the timestamp problem, or am I missing something here ??
...Barry
Same. Did your 10.1 ever start working? Would like to watch the World Series but I get nothing on ATSC 3 / HVEC channels with every player device / app I've tried.

akgolf

Post by akgolf »

You can watch the World Series in 4K on the Fox app if you have a service provider.

That’s how I’m watching it.

Whizkid

Post by Whizkid »

NedS wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:22 pm
Les H wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:32 am Ok Grumbles. You have exactly the same impression that I do. The LG TV internal tuners are the best currently available - but only good for that single TV. The old Connect Duo that I had was vastly inferior to the LG. So far the 4k tuner appears to be close to the LG tuner in performance under my difficult multipath conditions - of course 3.0 when its actually available and working should be far better. Patience.
In theory they should be identical, since it's a digital signal, but LG might be applying some processing that isn't available to normal apps.
The signal over the air is of course analog - it's an OFDM RF signal, which has to go through the air/environment, the antenna, cable, tuner, and demodulator in that signal chain. Once it comes out of there, then it's digital, so there's plenty of room for variation before that happens, even just in shielding.

flying4fun

Post by flying4fun »

flying4fun wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:22 am
nickk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:48 pm
flying4fun wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 am from the HDHOmeRun CONNECT 4K device url, I run the detect channels and sometimes see the atsc 3.0 here. I've run it a few times and sometimes they don't show up. I would have thought it had to do with low signal, but using the hdhomerun-config-gui I can scan and see atsc3:19 channel. It says 72% signal strength and 100% signal and symbol quality. Unfortunately, when I try to view, it sits there forever.

They show up as 5001 - 5004, that sound right? I believe I should have 4 atsc 3.0 channels here:
5001 14.1 KJZZ
5002 30.1 KUCW (no data)
5003 2.1 KUTV (no data)
5004 4.1 KVTX (no data)

I see the 4, but 3 show no data. Is it possible they currently not fully online?
With ATSC 3.0 "no data" usually means the data is on a different PLP.
What exactly does that mean? Will it switch PLP's when you try to tune one of those stations?

I have noticed that I can only tune 14.1 on Linux with the caveat of no audio (suppose due to not having AC-4 support on vlc). Channel lineup on the connect's lineup.html page shows the 5000's, but says Unknown. And I have yet to be able to tune one of those stations on a microsoft os.
Fantastic! With the new firmware I'm able to do a scan with HVEC showing for the 4 channels. Additionally, I'm able to connect/tune to the atsc3.0 stations.

Thanks!

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

jasonl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm
jasonl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 pm WARZ-CD filed an application today to convert their broadcast to ATSC 3.0 effective 11/20, so there's not going to be anything to see until at least that date. Depending on where you live, there might be nothing at all. The broadcast is extremely low power, so if you don't live in or close to the triangle formed by Raleigh, Benson, and Kenley you probably aren't getting it without a big roof antenna, and if you live more than a couple miles outside that triangle you probably aren't getting it at all unless you're on top of one of the taller hills. Sorry, Durham and Chapel Hill.
Thanks for the info. I am in west Cary near the border of Durham. Is I understand it, WRAL is buying WARZ-CD for their ATSC multiplex NBC/FOX and others.
There will be channels coming online 11/17 CW, MY RDU, CBS, ABC and Univision. They will be broadcasting from real channel 14.
I haven't looked to see exactly what they're planning to broadcast, but most of that sounds right. They'll be broadcasting on 23 though, since 14 is WRDC 28.x.

In your area, the signal really starts to die off right around the I-540/NC 540 loop, so it's probably going to depend on your elevation. If you're up high enough with a roof antenna, you might get it. If you're down near one of the creeks or lakes, it's probably not happening. There's not really anything they can do to improve that signal either, since they're already butted up against WUNC's channel 23 repeater that serves Oxford and other towns up in that area and there just aren't any channels available. It's the same situation several markets are in, where no one really wants to sacrifice a full-power station for it, so they dump it on a low-power with just enough coverage that they can do some testing even if it's not usable for the majority of people in the market.
Here you go. This will give you more detail about the RDU ATSC 3.0.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/raleig ... t-60201644

r8ders2k

Post by r8ders2k »

peanutbutter71 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:07 pm I'm in downtown San Francisco, but have not bought one of these yet. Waiting for broadcasts to start and then I'll consider getting one. Would be curious what your experience is when they start broadcasting.

Currently just using a 2-tuner hdhomerun with tvheadend. Have used it with mythtv too and it works well.
Out of curiosity, are you getting Ch. 4 (KRON)? As, I'm in the South Bay and I'm getting 113 (ATSC 1.0) channels, but not KRON.

appleIIgsuser

Post by appleIIgsuser »

Hi, Has the Kickstarter begin shipping?
This will be my first HomeRun DEV.
Can I use TSreader with this?
waiting waiting waiting waiting....

peanutbutter71

Post by peanutbutter71 »

r8ders2k wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:31 pm
peanutbutter71 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:07 pm I'm in downtown San Francisco, but have not bought one of these yet. Waiting for broadcasts to start and then I'll consider getting one. Would be curious what your experience is when they start broadcasting.

Currently just using a 2-tuner hdhomerun with tvheadend. Have used it with mythtv too and it works well.
Out of curiosity, are you getting Ch. 4 (KRON)? As, I'm in the South Bay and I'm getting 113 (ATSC 1.0) channels, but not KRON.
Yes I get KRON very reliably, but think I only get like 80 to 90 channels. I'm near the Moscone center downtown, but not far from Sutro tower, only a couple miles. Do you get Heroes and Icons? I can't get that here reliably.

r8ders2k

Post by r8ders2k »

appleIIgsuser wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:15 am Hi, Has the Kickstarter begin shipping?
This will be my first HomeRun DEV.
Can I use TSreader with this?
waiting waiting waiting waiting....
Yes, it has. Got mine.

r8ders2k

Post by r8ders2k »

peanutbutter71 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:01 pm Do you get Heroes and Icons? I can't get that here reliably.
Yes, I'm getting KTLN 25 on 68.1, KTLN-HD.