HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Post Reply
jasonl
Expert
Posts: 15369
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm
x 12

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by jasonl »

WARZ-CD filed an application today to convert their broadcast to ATSC 3.0 effective 11/20, so there's not going to be anything to see until at least that date. Depending on where you live, there might be nothing at all. The broadcast is extremely low power, so if you don't live in or close to the triangle formed by Raleigh, Benson, and Kenley you probably aren't getting it without a big roof antenna, and if you live more than a couple miles outside that triangle you probably aren't getting it at all unless you're on top of one of the taller hills. Sorry, Durham and Chapel Hill.

DigitalBrad
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 am

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by DigitalBrad »

jasonl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 pm WARZ-CD filed an application today to convert their broadcast to ATSC 3.0 effective 11/20, so there's not going to be anything to see until at least that date. Depending on where you live, there might be nothing at all. The broadcast is extremely low power, so if you don't live in or close to the triangle formed by Raleigh, Benson, and Kenley you probably aren't getting it without a big roof antenna, and if you live more than a couple miles outside that triangle you probably aren't getting it at all unless you're on top of one of the taller hills. Sorry, Durham and Chapel Hill.
Thanks for the info. I am in west Cary near the border of Durham. Is I understand it, WRAL is buying WARZ-CD for their ATSC multiplex NBC/FOX and others.
There will be channels coming online 11/17 CW, MY RDU, CBS, ABC and Univision. They will be broadcasting from real channel 14.

captain_video
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 am

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by captain_video »

NedS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:30 pm
captain_video wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:05 pm OK, I was able to get into Kickstarter and verify my email address if that's what you're referring to. I had never set up a Kickstarter account previously so I'm not sure if the email address is associated with the original order or not. I had to use my Apple ID because I recently closed my Facebook account and had no other option. I don't understand why I would need to do any of this since I provided all of my information when I placed the original order.
When someone logs into an existing Kickstarter account and backs a campaign, Kickstarter doesn't ask if the address on file is still good for that specific project/backer reward. Some people have older Kickstarter accounts with addresses from years ago, and have since moved, and other projects have had bad luck assuming all of the on-file addresses were good. There are a lot of ATSC 3.0 backers who had changed addresses between backing the Kickstarter in the summer and shipping out in October (now), and that was just people contacting us before we asked for address confirmation. Even with all the confirmation done now, we will likely have a few shipments where we have to track people down, so we want to minimize that as much as humanly possible, for everyone's sake.
So what does this mean for me? I supported the Kickstarter campaign but I have yet to receive either a shipment notification or the ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun Quatro 4k that I paid for. I logged in and confirmed my email address. I still haven't heard anything.

jasonl
Expert
Posts: 15369
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm
x 12

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by jasonl »

DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm
jasonl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 pm WARZ-CD filed an application today to convert their broadcast to ATSC 3.0 effective 11/20, so there's not going to be anything to see until at least that date. Depending on where you live, there might be nothing at all. The broadcast is extremely low power, so if you don't live in or close to the triangle formed by Raleigh, Benson, and Kenley you probably aren't getting it without a big roof antenna, and if you live more than a couple miles outside that triangle you probably aren't getting it at all unless you're on top of one of the taller hills. Sorry, Durham and Chapel Hill.
Thanks for the info. I am in west Cary near the border of Durham. Is I understand it, WRAL is buying WARZ-CD for their ATSC multiplex NBC/FOX and others.
There will be channels coming online 11/17 CW, MY RDU, CBS, ABC and Univision. They will be broadcasting from real channel 14.
I haven't looked to see exactly what they're planning to broadcast, but most of that sounds right. They'll be broadcasting on 23 though, since 14 is WRDC 28.x.

In your area, the signal really starts to die off right around the I-540/NC 540 loop, so it's probably going to depend on your elevation. If you're up high enough with a roof antenna, you might get it. If you're down near one of the creeks or lakes, it's probably not happening. There's not really anything they can do to improve that signal either, since they're already butted up against WUNC's channel 23 repeater that serves Oxford and other towns up in that area and there just aren't any channels available. It's the same situation several markets are in, where no one really wants to sacrifice a full-power station for it, so they dump it on a low-power with just enough coverage that they can do some testing even if it's not usable for the majority of people in the market.

Online
NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm
x 73

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by NedS »

captain_video wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm So what does this mean for me? I supported the Kickstarter campaign but I have yet to receive either a shipment notification or the ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun Quatro 4k that I paid for. I logged in and confirmed my email address. I still haven't heard anything.
We haven't shipped every reward yet, so shipping probably just hasn't gotten to it yet. Just to be safe, please open a support ticket and I can have someone look into it: https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/

nickk
Silicondust
Posts: 16224
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:39 am
x 71

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by nickk »

captain_video wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm So what does this mean for me? I supported the Kickstarter campaign but I have yet to receive either a shipment notification or the ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun Quatro 4k that I paid for. I logged in and confirmed my email address. I still haven't heard anything.
Please send me a message via Kickstarter and I will reply with the tracking number or what is needed.

Nick

Grumbles
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Grumbles »

I just received the Quattro 4K. I must not be setting it up correctly. My LG tv gets 68 high quality signals, but the Quatro only gets 28 and the quality is poor. Same antenna. Just moved it from the LG to the Quatro. Signal was not sharp. There was a significant delay when I changed channels. What am I doing wrong?

Les H
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Les H »

Did you update to the latest beta firmware and matching software that's linked in this forum? That helped my 4K perform better in all respects.

Online
NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm
x 73

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by NedS »

Grumbles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 pm I just received the Quattro 4K. I must not be setting it up correctly. My LG tv gets 68 high quality signals, but the Quatro only gets 28 and the quality is poor. Same antenna. Just moved it from the LG to the Quatro. Signal was not sharp. There was a significant delay when I changed channels. What am I doing wrong?
You probably have an amplified antenna and it's probably overloading the HDHomeRun with too much signal.

flying4fun
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 am

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by flying4fun »

nickk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:48 pm
flying4fun wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 am from the HDHOmeRun CONNECT 4K device url, I run the detect channels and sometimes see the atsc 3.0 here. I've run it a few times and sometimes they don't show up. I would have thought it had to do with low signal, but using the hdhomerun-config-gui I can scan and see atsc3:19 channel. It says 72% signal strength and 100% signal and symbol quality. Unfortunately, when I try to view, it sits there forever.

They show up as 5001 - 5004, that sound right? I believe I should have 4 atsc 3.0 channels here:
5001 14.1 KJZZ
5002 30.1 KUCW (no data)
5003 2.1 KUTV (no data)
5004 4.1 KVTX (no data)

I see the 4, but 3 show no data. Is it possible they currently not fully online?
With ATSC 3.0 "no data" usually means the data is on a different PLP.
What exactly does that mean? Will it switch PLP's when you try to tune one of those stations?

I have noticed that I can only tune 14.1 on Linux with the caveat of no audio (suppose due to not having AC-4 support on vlc). Channel lineup on the connect's lineup.html page shows the 5000's, but says Unknown. And I have yet to be able to tune one of those stations on a microsoft os.

Grumbles
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Grumbles »

Not amplified antenna.

Grumbles
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Grumbles »

Where do I get the beta firmware

Les H
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Les H »

Follow the instructions:

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74266

DigitalBrad
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 am

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by DigitalBrad »

jasonl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm
jasonl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 pm WARZ-CD filed an application today to convert their broadcast to ATSC 3.0 effective 11/20, so there's not going to be anything to see until at least that date. Depending on where you live, there might be nothing at all. The broadcast is extremely low power, so if you don't live in or close to the triangle formed by Raleigh, Benson, and Kenley you probably aren't getting it without a big roof antenna, and if you live more than a couple miles outside that triangle you probably aren't getting it at all unless you're on top of one of the taller hills. Sorry, Durham and Chapel Hill.
Thanks for the info. I am in west Cary near the border of Durham. Is I understand it, WRAL is buying WARZ-CD for their ATSC multiplex NBC/FOX and others.
There will be channels coming online 11/17 CW, MY RDU, CBS, ABC and Univision. They will be broadcasting from real channel 14.
I haven't looked to see exactly what they're planning to broadcast, but most of that sounds right. They'll be broadcasting on 23 though, since 14 is WRDC 28.x.

In your area, the signal really starts to die off right around the I-540/NC 540 loop, so it's probably going to depend on your elevation. If you're up high enough with a roof antenna, you might get it. If you're down near one of the creeks or lakes, it's probably not happening. There's not really anything they can do to improve that signal either, since they're already butted up against WUNC's channel 23 repeater that serves Oxford and other towns up in that area and there just aren't any channels available. It's the same situation several markets are in, where no one really wants to sacrifice a full-power station for it, so they dump it on a low-power with just enough coverage that they can do some testing even if it's not usable for the majority of people in the market.
I spoke with an engineer yesterday and the plan is to put all ATSC 3.0 (CW, MY RDU, CBS, ABC and Univision) on 14 and offload the ATSC 1.0 to other towers. I believe 28 will be moved to WNCN's tower.

Grumbles
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Grumbles »

OK, figured it out.

I had tried to install using an iPad. Big mistake...I used my iMac and the firmware update noted in the install topic in the forum. Receiving 63 stations and the quality is good. No ATSC 3.0 stations, but I really didn't expect any.

I would say the LG ATSC 1.0 hardware produces a better signal, but then I can't broadcast that can I? LOL

Signal is good enough so that I am not getting complaints from my family.

Waiting patiently for the ATSC 3.0 signals.

Post Reply