HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377, 108042A1

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by demonrik »

ATSCWatcher wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:08 pm
ATSCWatcher wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 am Any idea how to access the video in VLC for these? I have found on channel 29 there are 4 listed ATSC3 streams.

Only one of these seemingly has data.
demonrik wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am manually use the http streaming in vlc viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74254
e.g. http://<hdhrdevice>.local:5004/auto/v13.1
I can't get it to open from the config gui if there is (no data) against channel
Thanks. I tried that again today. VLC (Mac/Win) only displaying the ATSC 1.0 version in 1080i or 720p of these channels even if I manually disable them in the my.hdhomerun.com interface. Will try on the non-dev version later.

Is there maybe a keyword to play the program number listed in the Config GUI app or the actual channel number (Not the virtual channel)?
See here https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/http_api
Particularly the section 'Channel frequency instead of vchannel'

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377, 108042A1

Post by demonrik »

NedS wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 pm Navigating the world of AC4 licensing and support will likely be the biggest challenge for ATSC 3.0, and not just for us, but most ATSC 3.0 products that aren't a simple built-in tuner to a TV. We'll try to document as much as we can, and we will also explore any possible options we have on our side to enable options (possibly with existing hardware, but we'll see). Much like ATSC 3.0 is "rolling out", codec support for things like AC4 are rolling out, so this might be a problem that works it self out by the time ATSC 3.0 is "mainstream". That being said, we like being early adopters, and we will try to do whatever we can to get things working now.
yeah - is a bit of a pain.

At least my Sony A9G does have built in support - will try that later and see if androidTV on that at least supports the audio.
And as mentioned - newer LGs look solid too.
What are you guys using for your testing?

Main worry is AVR.
They rarely mention AC3 before.. so not clear if they do or will support AC4. For most part will be a DSP firmware update..
But those get less often the further you go back.

r8ders2k

Post by r8ders2k »

Just got mine this afternoon and set it up. Quick and simple. I updated the firmware and I already had the tvOS HDHomeRun app installed and I downloaded the the beta macOS app. But what app am I supposed to use for iOS? As the beta saying it's not taking anymore testers and the iOS HDHomeRun app, in the App Store, isn't seeing my Connect 4K.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

demonrik wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:36 pm Main worry is AVR.
They rarely mention AC3 before.. so not clear if they do or will support AC4. For most part will be a DSP firmware update..
But those get less often the further you go back.
IIRC it's a Dolby licensing/branding thing to always use "Dolby Digital" (preferably with the logo) rather than "AC-3", and "Dolby Digital Plus" instead of "E-AC-3". AC-4 hasn't been given a fancy name yet, but once it gets one, I expect "AC-4" to vanish from any official materials.

scyto

Post by scyto »

r8ders2k wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm Just got mine this afternoon and set it up. Quick and simple. I updated the firmware and I already had the tvOS HDHomeRun app installed and I downloaded the the beta macOS app. But what app am I supposed to use for iOS? As the beta saying it's not taking anymore testers and the iOS HDHomeRun app, in the App Store, isn't seeing my Connect 4K.
I am using the one in the store for my ipad (runs of to absolutely double check - yup i am) it seeing the .... ooh wait a minute i go through the servio, could that be why it works for me?

-edit-
unplugged DVR and it is still seeing the 4k

Mike_TV

Post by Mike_TV »

Got mine yesterday afternoon. After some playing around with Plex and redoing the DVR set up everything is working great with Plex, the iOS HDHomeRun app and Apple TV. No ATSC 3 stations yet here in Chicago but for now four tuners are working fine.

wagman67

Post by wagman67 »

I received mine, yesterday, and set it up (updated software and firmware). I removed my two older Duals, while I am fidgeting with this. I scanned and re-scanned a couple of times, but I am not coming up with any ATSC 3 channels. I am in the Nashville market and they are supposed to have two actual channels (21 and 30) broadcasting 5 channels. I double-checked the stations that are supposed to be broadcasting and don't see any changes.

Am I missing something? Do I need to try something different?

bluehorizon

Post by bluehorizon »

NedS wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 pm Navigating the world of AC4 licensing and support will likely be the biggest challenge for ATSC 3.0, and not just for us, but most ATSC 3.0 products that aren't a simple built-in tuner to a TV. We'll try to document as much as we can, and we will also explore any possible options we have on our side to enable options (possibly with existing hardware, but we'll see). Much like ATSC 3.0 is "rolling out", codec support for things like AC4 are rolling out, so this might be a problem that works it self out by the time ATSC 3.0 is "mainstream". That being said, we like being early adopters, and we will try to do whatever we can to get things working now.
Will the HDhomerun Apple TV app support decoding of AC4 to Dolby MAT?

This would enable the audio to be played properly (e.g. either by passing the bitstream to the TV / soundbar or by forcing the ATV to transcode the bitstream to Dolby Digital, which can be played by essentially anything.

Separately, still hoping for an update to the HDHR ATV app that addresses HDR color mapping and "jagged" graphics.

Thanks!

Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Hey Nick (or other) - Any chance you could provide us a shipping status on the kickstarter/pre-order? How far along are you guys (25%, 50%, etc)? I saw that DEV units shipped and my original ship timeframe was the same as the dev units (July 2020) before the delays.

Thanks in advance!
Keith

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Jazman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 am Hey Nick (or other) - Any chance you could provide us a shipping status on the kickstarter/pre-order? How far along are you guys (25%, 50%, etc)? I saw that DEV units shipped and my original ship timeframe was the same as the dev units (July 2020) before the delays.
All DEV units to confirmed addresses in the USA have already shipped.

r8ders2k

Post by r8ders2k »

I was able to figure it out, I don't remember being asked, but the HDHomeRun app didn't have network access. Corrected that and all's well!

Now to just wait for ATSC 3.0 in the SF Bay Area...

gchrprime

Post by gchrprime »

My Quatro 4K came yesterday! 😊

Currently no ATSC 3.0 stations in Columbus, OH. 😒

bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 »

Any progress on the Phoenix Audio timestamp issue ??

peanutbutter71

Post by peanutbutter71 »

r8ders2k wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 am I was able to figure it out, I don't remember being asked, but the HDHomeRun app didn't have network access. Corrected that and all's well!

Now to just wait for ATSC 3.0 in the SF Bay Area...
I'm in downtown San Francisco, but have not bought one of these yet. Waiting for broadcasts to start and then I'll consider getting one. Would be curious what your experience is when they start broadcasting.

Currently just using a 2-tuner hdhomerun with tvheadend. Have used it with mythtv too and it works well.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I haven't been able to tune either of the supposedly active 4k channels in my area of Portland Oregon yet but they do appear to be pretty directional and picky as I've been adjust the flexible ears of the fm antenna that came with one of my stereos and I get different channels and loose others depending on what I did. Haven't found the sweet spot yet.
I did order a cheap antenna setup that has a directional yagi with a built in rotor and a J pipe antenna mount with 20 feet of cable and hopefully I can adjust it to work when it gets here, maybe Friday.