HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Dartman

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Dartman »

Well mine didn't pick up pbs 10.1 so I extended the ears on the fm dipole I'm using and it picks it up now. I think the digital uhf signal is really directional so might have to play with the position or get a couple of small directional antennas, or one with a built-in rotator if outdoor so you can fine tune for the channels you want. I have seen small digital TV antennas on Woot that have a built in amp, rotator, and mounting pole for really cheap so Amazon and eBay should have similar deals.
I'm pretty sure I have some old indoor antennas stashed somewhere and I might even still have a small outdoor one somewhere too but plenty of simple options cheap out there.

milosz

Post by milosz »

I have an HD HormeRun HDHR3-CC that I use with a Cablecard on Comcast; I have a DVR subscription as well. It all works well over my LAN and WLAN.

I have a Quattro 4k ATSC 3.0 coming soon.

I would like to have BOTH of these tuners on my LAN, with the old HDHR3-CC doing Cablecard duty, and the new Quattro 4k ATSC 3.0 working from an antenna for off-air.

Is this possible? I have just started to think about this. How would the HD HomeRun Windows and Android apps that I use be able to select between the two SiliconDust devices? Or would all the channels available between the two tuners "stack up" in the HD HomeRun app?

Maybe this has been answered somewhere already but I haven't found it....

guyHalestorm

Post by guyHalestorm »

scheb wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:54 pm
mooninite wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:50 pm My 4K came in today and I am also in the Dallas area. Only the 1 ATSC 3 station as mentioned in other comments and I cannot tune to it either. All 4 tuners work for ATSC 1 content though so that's nice. Upgrade for me coming from a HDHR4-2US.

Thanks, Nick, and company. I'm looking forward to seeing more 4k channels come online.
Sadness. I'm in Dallas area too and also getting the Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel error. Oh well. Everything else working great though. Just need to find a better antenna (or a pair of rabbit ears) to get my lone VHF channel to come in!
Lousy WFAA! Why do they have to be the lone VHF holdout?? :lol:

though

Post by though »

Has anyone been able able to successfully tune a 3.0 channel in any market yet????

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

As far as I have found out so far if you use the DVR that they give us it will work as it sees both units and sets up the channels accordingly. WMC does not see the Quatro but still records my cable fine with the prime and I have had the HD homerun record working as well on one test record I did with it on my Android TV box. You should be able to record everything from the DVR if it's working for you now. I don't really use it because I use my big win7 box that's set to sleep when not busy and it won't wake it up to record things though I think there are scripts and programs that can do it if you want to try it that way. If you have a media PC that doesn't draw anything you could just leave it on and let it record your shows as needed, cable or antenna.
If anyone has a easy way to make it wake up a sleeping PC like Windows Media Center does on 7 I'd be interested to try it unless things have changed and it will do it on it's own now. The programs I saw for doing it seemed a bit technical and hard to setup so never bothered here as WMC works great on 7 still.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

guyHalestorm wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm Lousy WFAA! Why do they have to be the lone VHF holdout?? :lol:
Tegna is in the process of buying KMPX, and that will probably ultimately result in WFAA moving to UHF and KMPX moving to VHF, though it will take months or years to happen.

ATSCWatcher

Post by ATSCWatcher »

Any idea how to access the video in VLC for these? I have found on channel 29 there are 4 listed ATSC3 streams.

Only one of these seemingly has data.

When I use Channels DVR or the HD Homerun Apps in Windows/Mac I am only receiving the standard ATSC channel broadcast.

Can't seem to attach a screenshot here so....

Roughly it looks like this in HDHomerun Config GUI:

Channel us-bcast 29
Program 12803: 8.1KLAS (no data)
12802 13.1 KTNV (no data)
12804 33.1 KVCW
12804 3.1 KSNV (no data)

Physical Channel ATSC3:29

PLPs
0:mod=qam16 cod=9/15 bond=0 layer=core ti=hti lls=1 lock=1 errors=0
1:mod=qam256 cod=11/15 bond=0 layer=core ti=hti lls=0 lock=1 errors=0

The signal strength, signal quality, and Symbol quality % for all of these is 100% but Network Rate is 0.000 Mbps and Network Target none

k2ue

Post by k2ue »

milosz wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:48 pm I have an HD HormeRun HDHR3-CC that I use with a Cablecard on Comcast; I have a DVR subscription as well. It all works well over my LAN and WLAN.

I have a Quattro 4k ATSC 3.0 coming soon.

I would like to have BOTH of these tuners on my LAN, with the old HDHR3-CC doing Cablecard duty, and the new Quattro 4k ATSC 3.0 working from an antenna for off-air.

Is this possible? I have just started to think about this. How would the HD HomeRun Windows and Android apps that I use be able to select between the two SiliconDust devices? Or would all the channels available between the two tuners "stack up" in the HD HomeRun app?

Maybe this has been answered somewhere already but I haven't found it....
Yes, I have been using the ATSC 1.0 Quad along with a CableCard unit for some time in my Channels DVR setup, and will the replace the Quad with the 3.0 Quad when it arrives, probably later this week. No problem.

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

I miss spoke on the HDHomerun App remotely. I had thought turned off Wifi and with 4G... I was so excited... For a few moments anyway..
And was watching TV on my phone. But in reality the 4G was dropped and it reverted to wifi.
So I was wrong.,
However this morning I did get Serviio Go to work on my android and I am able to stream TV channels or recorded events to my Android on 4G (remotely)
Sorry if I misled anyone.. I was sure I was on 4G.

But with that said Serviio Go works great!!! Requires you have Serviio Pro licensed on a PC at your home.. And the HDHOMERUN.groovy file configured .

If you need help I can assist.

Jerry
though wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:01 am
n9lya1 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:59 am So much so I can now watch them via any home device and even cell phone remotely directly with the HDHomerun app with perfect clarity.
How are you watching your HDHR on your cell phone remotely directly?

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377, 108042A1

Post by demonrik »

ATSCWatcher wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 am Any idea how to access the video in VLC for these? I have found on channel 29 there are 4 listed ATSC3 streams.

manually use the http streaming in vlc viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74254
e.g. http://<hdhrdevice>.local:5004/auto/v13.1
I can't get it to open from the config gui if there is (no data) against channel
though wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 pm Has anyone been able able to successfully tune a 3.0 channel in any market yet????
Yes - only on windows PC right now or LG client - all my Android/Android TV things refuse giving error about audio.
Have yet to get audio working on PC - buy could be the issues @Nickk mentioned about audio in Phoenix, or I'm just missing codec or something

Anyone else got this weird thing of the viewer opening to the account page and having to click 'continue' before I do anything?
Is very annoying.

Have had to disable the ATSC3 channels for a bit as audio issues means its not reasonable for real use by family.. I just enable when I need to play around.

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Post by NTC »

demonrik wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am
Yes - only on windows PC right now or LG client - all my Android/Android TV things refuse giving error about audio.
Have yet to get audio working on PC - buy could be the issues @Nickk mentioned about audio in Phoenix, or I'm just missing codec or something
I do not believe there's a AC4 decoder available yet. I read that the FFMPEG group are working on it. MediaInfo only recently came out with an update to identify the AC4 codec.

dartmouth

Post by dartmouth »

Just opened my Quatro 4K. I just plugged it in place of my Extend. By the time I got up from my basement, got on my PC, and found it on the network, it was waiting to apply the latest firmware (20201009). Applied it, scanned for channels. It found 82 (just like the Extend had). I'm outside Chicago, so no ATSC 3.0 channels for me yet.

I was able to play the channels through Plex with no issues. I opened up the HDHomeRun app, and it works just fine. Now I just need Chicago to turn on some ATSC 3.0. They ran a test system from 2017-2019, and completed their repack earlier this year. I will just have to wait for a while.

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377, 108042A1

Post by demonrik »

NTC wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 pm
demonrik wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am
I do not believe there's a AC4 decoder available yet. I read that the FFMPEG group are working on it. MediaInfo only recently came out with an update to identify the AC4 codec.
Of course there is - just no free ones. It took some time for a free AC3 - I expect the same with AC4. Looking at MSFTs I don't see AC4 listed for audio, so that might be the main issue here on windows.
After some searching it would seem BOTH my LG TVs do not have AC4.. It was introduced into their C8 series (2018) and forward.
so no surprises then on no audio there.
And similarly on NV Shield - can't find anything to say anything one way or other which usually means not in.
Wonder what implications will be wrt AC4 passthrough.. will devices doing AC3 passthrough just work, and what I need is to put pressure on Marants for AC4 enabled firmware?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Navigating the world of AC4 licensing and support will likely be the biggest challenge for ATSC 3.0, and not just for us, but most ATSC 3.0 products that aren't a simple built-in tuner to a TV. We'll try to document as much as we can, and we will also explore any possible options we have on our side to enable options (possibly with existing hardware, but we'll see). Much like ATSC 3.0 is "rolling out", codec support for things like AC4 are rolling out, so this might be a problem that works it self out by the time ATSC 3.0 is "mainstream". That being said, we like being early adopters, and we will try to do whatever we can to get things working now.

ATSCWatcher

Post by ATSCWatcher »

ATSCWatcher wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 am Any idea how to access the video in VLC for these? I have found on channel 29 there are 4 listed ATSC3 streams.

demonrik wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am manually use the http streaming in vlc viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74254
e.g. http://<hdhrdevice>.local:5004/auto/v13.1
I can't get it to open from the config gui if there is (no data) against channel
Thanks. I tried that again today. VLC (Mac/Win) only displaying the ATSC 1.0 version in 1080i or 720p of these channels even if I manually disable them in the my.hdhomerun.com interface. Will try on the non-dev version later.

Is there maybe a keyword to play the program number listed in the Config GUI app or the actual channel number (Not the virtual channel)?