HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by signcarver »

bodycount9 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:08 am
Lost Dog wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:07 am Having all four tuners ATSC3 would probably push the cost point up too high...

Still, with enough people maybe tuner cost can be driven down... Stretch goal?!?!
Wouldn't be too high for me and for a lot of people. Gimping the product will bring it a no sale for a lot of people
I don't think it is a big problem especially if they achieve their goal of allowing 2 subchannels be streamed per tuner thus actually getting 4 atsc 3.0 streams from the single device. The device pretty much looks like a quatro and would think same soc thus I would assume 100Mbps rather than gigabit and atsc 3.0 "could" be 57Mbps.

AzJazz

Post by AzJazz »

This was perfect timing!

I was just looking into cutting the (TV) cord with Cox in Phoenix, and I looked at the SiliconDust site to see if there was a ATSC 3.0 box available since Phoenix is the primary test market.

There wasn't a SD ATSC 3.0 box available last week, so I started researching other HDHomeRun boxes.

Needless to say, SD got my $200 bux a few seconds after I received the email this morning! :D

AzJazz

n8o

Post by n8o »

For those wanting the developer option. Would it be possible to supply already captured pcap files for playback on the device so people out of the areas where broadcasts are happening can develop around it?

Sion

Post by Sion »

Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:40 am
ihermit2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 am Not to be inflammatory. but, you should be aware you are skirting dangerously close to KS policies against new projects while not delivered on old.
You're talking about the DRM not working on Prime STILL after, what is it? Five years now? Six?
Sorry for being out of the loop on this, but last time I tried recording HBO on my prime (which was a while ago - cancelled Cable in February, and cancelled HBO last fall, now just OTA w/ a connect duo) I was able to record HBO (which was my only DRM flagged cable channel) no problem. What is the current issue? I still own the prime and may use it in the future so am curious.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

n8o wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:12 pm For those wanting the developer option. Would it be possible to supply already captured pcap files for playback on the device so people out of the areas where broadcasts are happening can develop around it?
Confirming the DEV edition can save and replay pcap files.

Example - you can save a 5 minute pcap file, send it to someone who doesn't have a local broadcast, and they can replay it through the HDHomeRun (DEV edition). It works just like they had tuned your channel.

Nick

ATSCWatcher

Post by ATSCWatcher »

Outside of ordering the "TV production" package... How do we order more than 1? Would like to have at least two, if not four of these to run in two separate cities since there are only 2 tuners per device for ATSC 3.

n8o

Post by n8o »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm
n8o wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:12 pm For those wanting the developer option. Would it be possible to supply already captured pcap files for playback on the device so people out of the areas where broadcasts are happening can develop around it?
Confirming the DEV edition can save and replay pcap files.

Example - you can save a 5 minute pcap file, send it to someone who doesn't have a local broadcast, and they can replay it through the HDHomeRun (DEV edition). It works just like they had tuned your channel.

Nick
I was wondering if SiliconDust would provide some samples for devs? Not sure what is available or will be available from broadcasters. maybe there are some legal issues around that?

southleft

Post by southleft »

What is a "Kickstater"? The Quatro 4K announcement mentions it twice!

scyto

Post by scyto »

southleft wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:41 pm What is a "Kickstater"? The Quatro 4K announcement mentions it twice!
I kick you if you mention DRM - is that a Kick-stater? :-)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 »

NefCanuck wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 amThe Kickstarter lists US only, is that a hard and fast rule or could Canadian border communities get in on this?
I don't think OTA respects boarders.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 »

Sion wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:13 pm
Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:40 am
ihermit2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 am Not to be inflammatory. but, you should be aware you are skirting dangerously close to KS policies against new projects while not delivered on old.
You're talking about the DRM not working on Prime STILL after, what is it? Five years now? Six?
Sorry for being out of the loop on this, but last time I tried recording HBO on my prime (which was a while ago - cancelled Cable in February, and cancelled HBO last fall, now just OTA w/ a connect duo) I was able to record HBO (which was my only DRM flagged cable channel) no problem. What is the current issue? I still own the prime and may use it in the future so am curious.
Outside of WMC.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 »

ATSC 3.0 has a DRM scheme which makes me think that it is going to need some sort of certification for some, not all, broadcasts in the future. This also means it may not work in players such as Emby, Plex or Channels DVR.. Just speculation but I know how content owners want to get money out of your pocket every month or per watch.

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

Will the Ethernet port be gigabit based?

mooninite

Post by mooninite »

Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm ATSC 3.0 has a DRM scheme which makes me think that it is going to need some sort of certification for some, not all, broadcasts in the future. This also means it may not work in players such as Emby, Plex or Channels DVR.. Just speculation but I know how content owners want to get money out of your pocket every month or per watch.
Besides DRM the fact that HEVC is the selected codec is not great. HEVC is worse than H.264 when it comes to licensing. I will dream that AV1 will replace it, but it may require ATSC 4.0 for a codec change to occur.

The industry really came together for 3.0 to create a standard that catered to license holders (DRM + HEVC) and not to consumers.

I do not use any Windows devices so if DRM is enforced I may have to sell my HDHomeRun if SiliconDust does not provide a "certified" solution for Linux or Android devices.

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm ATSC 3.0 has a DRM scheme ...
It has a scheme, but there's much debate as to whether it'll be implemented by any stations anytime soon. Or at all. If it is, and that seems to me likely, it won't be right out of the gate.
Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm This also means it may not work in players such as Emby, Plex or Channels DVR...
May not? For DRM'd content there's no "may" about it.
mooninite wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pm I do not use any Windows devices so if DRM is enforced I may have to sell my HDHomeRun if SiliconDust does not provide a "certified" solution for Linux or Android devices.
We won't be moving to ATSC 3.0 until we absolutely must. If DRM is enforced we'll probably drop OTA TV entirely.

It's kind of ironic, after we spent all this money on the system, but we really watch very, very little OTA TV now. Other than local "news," maybe only 3-4 programs/week?
Last edited by jseymour on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.