The coins arrived and look good.
What are the coins for?
Just a commemorative collector's coin. If you have one, you're cool. :lol:

Dxcv

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Dxcv »

though wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:57 am
I am in the Omaha, Nebraska area. I reached out to my local stations to find out about their ATSC 3.0 plans. I received this response, kind of a bummer!
==============
Good Morning,

Excellent question, KETV is interested in broadcasting ATSC 3.0, but there are a few issues I will outline for you which is making it difficult for KETV.

First the FCC did not mandate the TV stations to broadcast this new format, it was left as an option. That said this makes it a complex issue for a few reasons. Since this was not mandated by the FCC there will be no coupon for the viewer to go get a free decoder like they did with ATSC 1.0. Second, if the TV station elects to switch to ASTC 3.0, they can no longer broadcast ATSC 1.0 as the FCC only gives the TV station one channel to broadcast on. So you either go dark on ATSC 1.0, or you need to partner with another TV station in the market to broadcast your ATSC 1.0 signal on one of their sub channels, that likely would be in SD so a downgrade to all current ATSC 1 viewers. Third issue is the TV manufactures did not elect to include the ATSC 3.0 tuner, so your current TV would need an ATSC 3.0 set top box to receive it, sounds like you have one on the way. That said it appears they will start to include them in new TV’s per this article:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -built-in/

Thank-you for your question, I hope this helps you understand this.
Thanks for posting this. I am down in the Lincoln market and receive KETV. Had hoped they would be the first station since they are the only Hearst owned station in the area and Hearst seems to be embracing 3.0 and they have the newest tower at Crown Point.

It seems like this might result in KXVO or KPTM being the first. They are sister stations and one could carry the 1.0 signal

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff »

though wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:57 am
I am in the Omaha, Nebraska area. I reached out to my local stations to find out about their ATSC 3.0 plans. I received this response, kind of a bummer!
==============
Good Morning,

Excellent question, KETV is interested in broadcasting ATSC 3.0, but there are a few issues I will outline for you which is making it difficult for KETV.

First the FCC did not mandate the TV stations to broadcast this new format, it was left as an option. That said this makes it a complex issue for a few reasons. Since this was not mandated by the FCC there will be no coupon for the viewer to go get a free decoder like they did with ATSC 1.0. Second, if the TV station elects to switch to ASTC 3.0, they can no longer broadcast ATSC 1.0 as the FCC only gives the TV station one channel to broadcast on. So you either go dark on ATSC 1.0, or you need to partner with another TV station in the market to broadcast your ATSC 1.0 signal on one of their sub channels, that likely would be in SD so a downgrade to all current ATSC 1 viewers. Third issue is the TV manufactures did not elect to include the ATSC 3.0 tuner, so your current TV would need an ATSC 3.0 set top box to receive it, sounds like you have one on the way. That said it appears they will start to include them in new TV’s per this article:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -built-in/

Thank-you for your question, I hope this helps you understand this.
I thought the FCC actually mandates that stations that do voluntarily elect to broadcast in ATSC 3.0 must still continue to offer ATSC 1.0 signals for at least five years after the switch. That seems like a strange requirement if there's not a suggested way in which every station could do it.

Gb67

Post by Gb67 »

NedS wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:43 am
Fieryphoenix wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:13 am
I searched without success... is there a late backer option anywhere?
Once we take care of the Kickstarter backers, we will be able to set up additional pre-orders.
Ahh i was wondering this too. Thanks for the information. I was late to the party, but I'm anxious to pre-order one when available. Thanks.

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

signcarver wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:43 am
They never said early August... just implied that there will be two batches in August with early supporters shipped first. I would not expect any survey before August and wouldn't expect any other update until actually beginning to ship or the end of August starts coming around if there have been other delays.
Any word out of CHINA? Have they started shipping? Are they close? It is September...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

n9lya1 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:33 am
signcarver wrote:
They never said early August... just implied that there will be two batches in August with early supporters shipped first. I would not expect any survey before August and wouldn't expect any other update until actually beginning to ship or the end of August starts coming around if there have been other delays.
Any word out of CHINA? Have they started shipping? Are they close? It is September...
We don't manufacture products in China, we manufacture products in Taiwan. All Kickstarter orders have been manufactured and are on the water now, shipping to the US for final distribution.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

What is this? Why are you posting this?

Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

NedS wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:43 am
We don't manufacture products in China, we manufacture products in Taiwan.
Great... You just started an international incident with that comment... I'll grab the popcorn and wait for the sanctions from the PRC! :lol:

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

NedS wrote:
n9lya1 wrote:
signcarver wrote:
We don't manufacture products in China, we manufacture products in Taiwan. All Kickstarter orders have been manufactured and are on the water now, shipping to the US for final distribution.
I shouldn't have needed to respond to that as the update came out August 20th... at least a week too early in my opinion, as a date wasn't met and delayed things another week but they did update that info on the 25th. Given the time table they gave, I don't really expect another update until mid-late October after a long wait in LA, though possibly get one when it arrives in LA saying it got there around the 24th. Personally I do not expect the survey until around the 15th of October but time spent in LA may surprise me either favorably or unfavorably.

NedS: Are you sure they are on the water as the latest info shared had it not leaving to the 9th though they could be on ship in the harbor as it is now the 4th there and it was due to arrive and load on the 3rd but I honestly expected a day or two prior to actually getting technically on the water once there and personally wouldn't have used such phrase until it actually left the harbor.

though

Post by though »

Maybe he's talking about these discussion groups????

https://groups.io/g/ATSC3

https://groups.io/g/ATSC3-Developers

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

signcarver wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:35 am
NedS: Are you sure they are on the water as the latest info shared had it not leaving to the 9th though they could be on ship in the harbor as it is now the 4th there and it was due to arrive and load on the 3rd but I honestly expected a day or two prior to actually getting technically on the water once there and personally wouldn't have used such phrase until it actually left the harbor.
Sorry for any confusion, the boat might not have left yet, but September 3rd is the date for the container being picked up and loaded on the boat.

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

NedS wrote:
n9lya1 wrote:
signcarver wrote:
Thanks for clarifications!

hancox

Post by hancox »

NedS wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:13 pm
signcarver wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:35 am
Sorry for any confusion, the boat might not have left yet, but September 3rd is the date for the container being picked up and loaded on the boat.
Is there a FlightAware equivalent for shipping routes? :)