HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Dartman

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by Dartman »

A Roku Ultra would probably work provided it can deal with the atsc 3.0 standard and are cheap enough. You could watch for sales on the Shield, I bought mine from best buy with the game controller for 169 around black Friday a while back. It's the best streaming Android box I've had. I have both and the Roku is pretty easy for anyone to use but a bit limited in what it supports and can be added.
it tries to work with the hd HomeRun app but many times tries to play a channel then kicks back out. Sometimes it will play a channel and I haven't figured out what makes it decide to work.
The shield just happily loads and plays any channel my prime supports but doesn't support recording which I think is normal but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
You could check out the cheap Android media player boxes out and see if anyone on those types of forums has one that works well.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That "might" work for use with emby but in general, one should never recommend a roku for maximum compatibility with TV signals/streams. It has already been stated that Apple TV and Roku will not do some of the more advanced features of ATSC 3.0... but I have no idea if emby ever will wish to support those features either and that also goes for the HDHomeRun app in general on any platform but I do expect them to eventually add a couple of such features just to show such off.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

Dartman wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:11 pm
A Roku Ultra would probably work provided it can deal with the atsc 3.0 standard and are cheap enough. You could watch for sales on the Shield, I bought mine from best buy with the game controller for 169 around black Friday a while back. It's the best streaming Android box I've had. I have both and the Roku is pretty easy for anyone to use but a bit limited in what it supports and can be added.
it tries to work with the hd HomeRun app but many times tries to play a channel then kicks back out. Sometimes it will play a channel and I haven't figured out what makes it decide to work.
The shield just happily loads and plays any channel my prime supports but doesn't support recording which I think is normal but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
You could check out the cheap Android media player boxes out and see if anyone on those types of forums has one that works well.
If you want to stay with AndroidTv and not spend the money for a Shiled (Best box out there bar none) then you may want to look at the new Tivo box at around $50. I bought one for a spare TV and like it thus far.... best bang for the buck right now. Has been running the HD app fine along with Plex and all my other apps

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

elabra wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 am
Dartman wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:11 pm
If you want to stay with AndroidTv and not spend the money for a Shiled (Best box out there bar none) then you may want to look at the new **** box at around $50. I bought one for a spare TV and like it thus far.... best bang for the buck right now. Has been running the HD app fine along with Plex and all my other apps
I guess I can't say Tivo here but it is the one that starts with a T, ends with O and has ivo in the middle.

though

Post by though »

The T1vo Stream 4K has potential. Would like to know if it will direct play all Emby/HDHomerun TS files (including ATSC 3.0).

No ethernet port is a big bummer!

Edit - I haven't used it yet but appears to be a great bang for the buck device. I'm very curious to see how it stacks up to the new Chromecast Ultra 2.0 (with remote) that is coming out!!
Last edited by though on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Interesting little box they came up with and dirt cheap right now. I guess as long as it supports 5ghz wifi it should be fine but would be nice to have wired net connection but probably not real practical in a dongle style box. Might be a nice alternative to a cheaper Roku box but Roku constantly updates their gear and so does the Shield.

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 »

I've been told that the Tivo boxes don't support bitstream audio, if that is important. You might consider the Vero 4K+ devices which have Ethernet, 5Ghz Wi-Fi and built in HEVC hardware decoding. Note that the Vero 4K+ runs OSMC Linux and isn't an Android box.

though

Post by though »

I'll see what the Chromecast Ultra 2 has to offer. For cheap TV use (not critical home theater environment) I will probably push these or the T1vo Stream 4K. Shield Pro for the critical higher end stuff...

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

Hello, When will we be asked to enter our Shipping info for our Kickstarter? Just askin. Not rushing. Thanks Jerry

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

Jsherman wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm
KryptoNyte wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 am
Nick, do you have a short clip of the HEVC video that you could share (raw file download)? Maybe a commercial or something that no one would care if shared.
I would be curious to get a sample as well!
Any update on when we can see a sample video file?

Thanks!

hancox

Post by hancox »

n9lya1 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm
Hello, When will we be asked to enter our Shipping info for our Kickstarter? Just askin. Not rushing. Thanks Jerry
August. Check your inbox.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Got an Email that this is delayed ...

It has been a busy month.

Manufacturing started as planned but we found a problem during the testing of the first 1000 units. The problem is understood and we have sample units arriving next week for verification/sign-off.

For delivery this means July deliverables will be August. August deliverables will be later than planned but still be August.

The good news - Las Vegas, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Salt Lake City have started test broadcasts. We are following developments closely.

Nick - Silicondust