HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by signcarver »

I wouldn't worry about it for prioritizing 4k (i would worry more the other way) as that is already taken care of with auto and it is expected to allow 4 streams of atsc 3.0 at some point. If that doesn't happen soon enough or if worse comes to worse just say it can have 2 tuners to avoid potential conflict but I don't think it will come to that...

Unlike what the previous user stated, I wouldn't (always) expect different virtual channel numbers. If you look at the video "all" in phoenix used the same virtual number as the 1.0 counterpart... they are on different physical channels not virtual). Which brings a question... is the "5.1" also registered for tuners 3 and 4 as traditionally they only make 1 virtual channel entry (which has caused other people issues when they get more than one market. My expectation is they keep track internally and switch appropriately and that until they implement 4 3.0 streams one may be out of luck in some situations in ensuring prioritizing 4k when more than 2 are being recorded as i would expect it to fall back if tuners are already in use. Are there ways to see both (such as show=all&tuning) tuning entries.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank »

signcarver wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:17 am
I wouldn't worry about it for prioritizing 4k (i would worry more the other way) as that is already taken care of with auto and it is expected to allow 4 streams of atsc 3.0 at some point. If that doesn't happen soon enough or if worse comes to worse just say it can have 2 tuners to avoid potential conflict but I don't think it will come to that...

Unlike what the previous user stated, I wouldn't (always) expect different virtual channel numbers. If you look at the video "all" in phoenix used the same virtual number as the 1.0 counterpart... they are on different physical channels not virtual). Which brings a question... is the "5.1" also registered for tuners 3 and 4 as traditionally they only make 1 virtual channel entry (which has caused other people issues when they get more than one market. My expectation is they keep track internally and switch appropriately and that until they implement 4 3.0 streams one may be out of luck in some situations in ensuring prioritizing 4k when more than 2 are being recorded as i would expect it to fall back if tuners are already in use. Are there ways to see both (such as show=all&tuning) tuning entries.
I think at some point I'll need an adult to help me with setting this up haha.

"if that doesn't happen soon enough or if worse comes to worse just say it can have 2 tuners to avoid potential conflict but I don't think it will come to that... " that's what I was thinking, telling tvheadend the quatro 4k only has 2 available tuners to avoid issue.. just seemed like a potential waste of half the product but i do already have a quatro ATSC 1.0 unit so how many channels could I be turning over the air at a given time haha.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

signcarver wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:17 am
Unlike what the previous user stated, I wouldn't (always) expect different virtual channel numbers. If you look at the video "all" in phoenix used the same virtual number as the 1.0 counterpart... they are on different physical channels not virtual).
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't watched the video yet. It does look like the virtual numbers are the same in Phoenix, like CBS KPHO 5.1.

So at the bare minimum, Silicondust will have to extend their syntax somehow so users can request a specific version of the channel, even if they also provide an "auto" selection option.

I suspect future ATSC 3.0 TVs will just show two copies of channel 5.1, differentiated in the on-screen display info, and the user can use both or disable one if they choose.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank »

"So at the bare minimum, Silicondust will have to extend their syntax somehow so users can request a specific version of the channel, even if they also provide an "auto" selection option."

I think this is kind of what all my rambling was getting at and the reason I was trying to bring it up now was so that if something needs to be coded it would be ready by time I go to set up the quatro 4k haha.

n9lya1

The New unit cooling caracteristics

Post by n9lya1 »

Nick, How well will the new unit dissipate heat?
I had two of the early Extends that had the plastic case and cooling fan, that fan did not last long. And You guys designed a new metal case that acts as a heat sink. and you upgraded both of mine to the new case, for a small fee.. Thanks they still operate flawlessly to this day... :)
Was wondering if any thing was designed into the new Quatro 4k. to prevent heat issues. Just asking.. Because I cannot tell what kind of case the Quatro is in? Metal? or Vented??? I love my TWO EXTENDS by the way! I know the new Quatro 4k will be a shining Flagship of Silicon Dust.

Jerry

nickk
Silicondust

Re: The New unit colling caracteristics

Post by nickk »

n9lya1 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:56 pm
Was wondering if any thing was designed into the new Quatro 4k. to prevent heat issues. Just asking.. Because I cannot tell what kind of case the Quatro is in? Metal? or Vented??? I love my TWO EXTENDS by the way! I know the new Quatro 4k will be a shining Flagship of Silicon Dust.
Hi Jerry,

The Quatro 4K leverages the gen5 approach - power efficient design and a metal base-plate. The thermal design works well.

Nick

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

Thanks Nick I was sure you guys were on top of it.. Just had to know for sure !!! Awesome... Jerry

nickk wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:07 pm
n9lya1 wrote:
Hi Jerry,

The Quatro 4K leverages the gen5 approach - power efficient design and a metal base-plate. The thermal design works well.

Nick

n9lya1

Developers Edition

Post by n9lya1 »

Hello, Nick,
I signed up for the Developers edition.
Just because I thought it would be agreat time to delve into it. Can you point me in the right direction... I am looking at what I need to study i.e. Programming language if that applies, subjects to study, Classes to take..?

If for no other reason to be a learning beginning.... Many Thanks Jerry

Mike_TV

Post by Mike_TV »

nickk wrote:
n9lya1 wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Nick
Good news on the Quarto 4K cooling. I too have two fan-less EXTENDS running in my basement homerun without any issues for a couple years now.

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

Mike, Yes their ability to support issues quickly and successfully is what motivates me to highly recommend HDHomeRun to all my cord cutter friends!!

Nick I sent you a PM But I posted it here because it would not leave my outbox and I could not figure out how.. But hours later I see it did leave.. Sorry about the duplication.

Take care stay safe everyone..

Jerry
Mike_TV wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:19 am
nickk wrote:
n9lya1 wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Nick
Good news on the Quarto 4K cooling. I too have two fan-less EXTENDS running in my basement homerun without any issues for a couple years now.

Chupon

Post by Chupon »

JerryB wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 pm
Chupon wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am
Will CableCARD ever support 4k content? What would be the best option to future proof myself for ATSC 3.0? Will I need any other new hardware here? New TV? New Graphics card, etc?
CableCARD already supports 4K HDR content and Verizon FIOS intermittently broadcasts sporting events in this format depending on it's contract with the source provider.
Oh awesome. I have Comcast only where I live.

AzJazz

Re: Real-Time Signal Strength / Signal Quality / Symbol Meters

Post by AzJazz »

nickk wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:51 pm
HDHomeRun Config GUI is still available as part of the HDHomeRun Software.

Go Start, Run, and enter "c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe"

Nick
Thanks, Nick - that was exactly what I was looking for.

How does the Quatro 4K ATSC 1.0 tuner compare to the HD HomeRun Connect Duo? I have a relatively new Connect Duo, and the tuner isn't as good in the Connect Duo as the tuners I have in my 2 TVs. My two TVs pull in more channels than the Duo, with less video corruption.

AzJazz

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

Hello.. Have not heard any updates of late. is everything still on track? Just asking been telling everyone I know about this Kickstarter... :D
Jerry
Just FYI
I had to replace my harddrive a 1 TB HDD it went bad. I replaced it with a 500GB SSD and new Windows install and now instead of 27 Channels.. my Extend finds 45.. Not sure why.. But I wish I had done this years ago.. lol Maybe PC Performance has something to do with the Ability to scan channels. Successfully.

Have a good day all..

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

n9lya1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:55 pm
Hello.. Have not heard any updates of late. is everything still on track? Just asking been telling everyone I know about this Kickstarter... :D
Everything is on track.

n9lya1

Post by n9lya1 »

Thanks AWESOME!!!
nickk wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:36 am
n9lya1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:55 pm
Everything is on track.