HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
n9lya1

Re: KS HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by n9lya1 »

Hi Nick I was able to locate one of these Monster 3 way splitters that appears to meet the specs. Thanks Jerry
nickk wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:51 pm
n9lya1 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm
I do have a question... Can I still connect my 2 Extend along with the Quatro 4k using a three way splitter?? I realize signal strength may suffer and may need to not do so.. But I would like to try.
Confirming yes.

Note that almost all 3-way splitters are internally a 2-way splitter with another 2-way splitter connected to one side. That means one output is twice as strong as the other two outputs.

Monster used to do a 3-way splitter which was a true blanaced 3-way spliiter. Not sure it is still available.

You might as well get a 4-way splitter - then all 4 outputs will be the same and no worse than 2/3 of the outputs on the non-Monster 3-way splitters.

Nick

AzJazz

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by AzJazz »

For me, the Quatro 4k KS contribution primed the pump -

Now, I'll also have to purchase another 3TB drive for my QNAP NAS to store all those larger 4K OTA recordings! :o

n9lya1

Re: KS HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by n9lya1 »

Hi Nick,
As I stated I signed up for the Dev Unit... Having issues with Kickboxer email verification. Ill work on that today.. Looking forward to July!!! Thanks Jerry

captain_video

Post by captain_video »

Is there a breakdown of which channels will be moving to ATSC 3.0 in each of the markets mentioned? I donated to the Kickstarter campaign and I'm just curious which channels I'll actually be able to watch and record in 4k. I can receive OTA channels from both Baltimore and Washington, D.C. and both markets are included in the top 40 markets scheduled to start broadcasting using the new standard.

Mike_TV

Post by Mike_TV »

captain_video wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:04 am
Is there a breakdown of which channels will be moving to ATSC 3.0 in each of the markets mentioned? I donated to the Kickstarter campaign and I'm just curious which channels I'll actually be able to watch and record in 4k. I can receive OTA channels from both Baltimore and Washington, D.C. and both markets are included in the top 40 markets scheduled to start broadcasting using the new standard.
They should be here https://www.rabbitears.info/ but the site owner mentioned in another forum that he is waiting on the FCC daily database dump files to be updated...

bluehorizon

Post by bluehorizon »

I ordered one.

Question: how will DVR solutions (e.g. JellyFin, Plex), etc. prioritize the ATSC 3.0 HEVC stream for either tuning or recording over the simulcast ATSC 1.0 MPEG stream?

turns2stone

Post by turns2stone »

Hi all,

I just pledged. I'm a current Connect Duo and Extend (now retired) user and mainly use Plex for OTA recording and viewing. If anyone has any specific info about ATSC 3.0/4K transmission in Dallas, I would appreciate it. Most of the web articles were more of "we're ready" type update :D

Sam

though

Post by though »

From the FAQ

Only 2 tuners support ATSC 3.0?
Here in Phoenix the major networks are sharing a single ATSC 3.0 physical channel. We expect to see a similar approach in other markets where broadcasters share one or two physical channels broadcasting ATSC 3.0 content.

ATSC 3.0 demods are expensive - ATSC 3.0 new, and it requires supporting four concurrent demodulations per channel making the hardware a lot more expensive.

Two tuners supporting ATSC 3.0 provides a good cost balance and is unlikely to be a limitation for many years.

How many different ATSC 3.0 channels will the new 4K Tuner be able to spit out simultaneously? Is it 2 or is it more?

Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

NefCanuck wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 am
I asked this question on the Kickstarter FAQ but wanted to expand a bit on it here.

I live in Mississauga, ON Canada which means I can get signals from Buffalo, NY (in fact I can get more channels from Buffalo than I get from the Canadian sources) and if I read the post correctly, Buffalo would be on the list of markets that would get 4K OTA broadcasts.

The Kickstarter lists US only, is that a hard and fast rule or could Canadian border communities get in on this?

NefCanuck
Welland Ontario

It plainly stated that they'll ship to US ONLY. So that leaves me out as an early adopter. Just like the situation with ATI {out of Waterloo,ON} They made the FIRST ATSC Tuner, but froze out Canadian buyers back in 2002-2006, so I went and ordered two MyHD MDP-130 units in 2006 from Digital Connections in California, best choice I made. The only sad thing, Macro Image quit before going to the next generations of tuners. Still a more elegant solution than ATI {now part of AMD} or Hauppauge. Then with the Cliff Watson EPG Project, started to add Silicondust models to the mix.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Lone Browncoat wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:28 am
NefCanuck wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 am
I asked this question on the Kickstarter FAQ but wanted to expand a bit on it here.

I live in Mississauga, ON Canada which means I can get signals from Buffalo, NY (in fact I can get more channels from Buffalo than I get from the Canadian sources) and if I read the post correctly, Buffalo would be on the list of markets that would get 4K OTA broadcasts.

The Kickstarter lists US only, is that a hard and fast rule or could Canadian border communities get in on this?

NefCanuck
Welland Ontario

It plainly stated that they'll ship to US ONLY. So that leaves me out as an early adopter. Just like the situation with ATI {out of Waterloo,ON} They made the FIRST ATSC Tuner, but froze out Canadian buyers back in 2002-2006, so I went and ordered two MyHD MDP-130 units in 2006 from Digital Connections in California, best choice I made. The only sad thing, Macro Image quit before going to the next generations of tuners. Still a more elegant solution than ATI {now part of AMD} or Hauppauge. Then with the Cliff Watson EPG Project, started to add Silicondust models to the mix.
We figured out a way to ship to you in Canada - the Kickstarter has been updated to support Canada with a $10 shipping change.

Nick

Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Thanks, well, I'm on a fixed income now, but NefCanuck might be interested {still feeling the sting of Laserdisc, after all these years} and the stations around here are anything BUT early adopters.
I have a friend though who may be interested as a developer, because he writes applications, I'll pass that on to him. I don't think he's a forum member yet.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Lone Browncoat wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:03 am
Thanks, well, I'm on a fixed income now, but NefCanuck might be interested {still feeling the sting of Laserdisc, after all these years} and the stations around here are anything BUT early adopters.
I have a friend though who may be interested as a developer, because he writes applications, I'll pass that on to him. I don't think he's a forum member yet.
I have some laser discs!

plnota

Post by plnota »

turns2stone wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 am
Hi all,

I just pledged. I'm a current Connect Duo and Extend (now retired) user and mainly use Plex for OTA recording and viewing. If anyone has any specific info about ATSC 3.0/4K transmission in Dallas, I would appreciate it. Most of the web articles were more of "we're ready" type update :D

Sam
Here in Dallas, KSTR on RF34 has been broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 since around the middle of last year. Unfortunately, there has been even less information about it than the Phoenix 3.0 tests. I grabbed one of the Dev units, very curious to see what they have been broadcasting.

buffalotuner

Post by buffalotuner »

Has the sensitivity of the tuners in this product increased in comparison with the current Quatro?

I am wondering if I can expect any improvement in reception of far-away channels. I know the error correcting of ATSC 3.0 has been improved, I am asking in regards to ATSC 1.0 channels

Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Well !
Engaging moderator work-around mode.
Last edited by Lone Browncoat on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.