Smart TV Advice

ATSC 3.0 Forum
boliek

Smart TV Advice

Post by boliek »

So ATSC 3.0 is in my area (Tampa Bay area). I will be purchasing a new smart 4k TV. I have 4 of the HDHomerun products (including Scribe 4k). I want to be able to access and program DVR on the TV. Should I concern myself with the TVs ATSC 3.0 ability or should I get a ROKU or Nividia device to connect to the TV? If a TV what do you recommend? If a player or console (like ROKU or Nividia) what do you recommend? Thank you.

bgrubb1

Re: Smart TV Advice

Post by bgrubb1 »

Well, everyone has an opinion :-)
Based on my setup I have Fire-TV, Nvidia shields and Apple TV 4K's

My favorites are the Apple TV 4K best picture of all of them

Out of my TV's LG's have the best picture quality - especially the OLED

Also the LG's play nice with HD Homerun software can be loaded on the smart TV

The LG's are also priced well at Costco

boliek

Post by boliek »

bgrubb1:
Thank you for providing good information. I will check out each component.

Regarding Invidia do you have the "pro" version? I'll check out Apple.

I do like LG. My only concern are TV snooping features. On LG it is called "Live Plus", which is LG’s ACR technology (automatic content recognition).
https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy ... -features/

I really appreciate your reply. Thanks!

HappyDude
Device ID: 10818F82

Post by HappyDude »

I’ve also had good luck with the lg tv. I’ve avoided the privacy problems as much as i can by not agreeing to most of the terms and conditions when setting up the tv. I do see occasional popups telling me about all the great features I’m missing by not agreeing

boliek

Post by boliek »

So I went ahead and ordered a Sony X85J Series LED 4K UHD Smart Google TV. Once set up I will post my findings on whether it allows me to run the full featured app (as well as watch ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and HDHomerun DVR 4K recordings). In case you want to know the stats:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... ifications

boliek

Post by boliek »

So after installing and joining it to the network, I installed the HDHomeRun DVR app which is available to Sony Google TVs. After learning how to use the remote and TV inputs, guide etc. I connected to the HDHomerun DVR tuners and storage (Scribe 4K, Prime and Servio). Everything seems to work as it did on my Windows 10 computer. I was able to use and run "Live", "Recorded", "Discover" and "Tasks" - all DVR functions. Moreover, since this TV also supports ATSC 3.0 I was able to play local ATSC 3.0 stations with no problem, both from the Scribe 4K (including recordings) as well as separately using the TVs own tuner. So Sony was the way for me to go.