Suggestion for future ATSC 3.0 device

ATSC 3.0 Forum
hdhruser

Suggestion for future ATSC 3.0 device

Post by hdhruser »

I just wanted to suggest that a future ATSC 3.0 device come with two things:

1) All four tuners capable of ATSC 3.0 reception

2) Ability to transcode on the fly from the formats used by ATSC 3.0 to some more "friendly" formats. Specifically:

a) Optionally output as transport stream (.ts file)
b) Optionally change video format from H.265 to H.264 in real time
c) Optionally downscale video to a maximum size (example 4K to 1080, so it can be watched on older TV's).
d) Optionally convert audio stream from ac4 to ac3 or eac3 in real time

These are so people can use their existing TV's. I do realize that all this will require more powerful hardware that may not be easy to get right at the moment, and I also realize there's currently very little being shown in 4K, but by the time you had something like this designed there might be more 4K content and the chip shortage might (hopefully) be a thing of the past. But you have previously made an ATSC 1.0 device that supported on the fly transcoding. In that case you were trying to make the streams smaller but the problem with ATSC 3.0 is that for some TV's and devices it will be like trying to drink from a fire hose, I see people running into this already, and also not having sound because their equipment can't handle ac4 or having jumpy or stalling video because the H.265 is just too much.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Suggestion for future ATSC 3.0 device

Post by nickk »

hdhruser wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:55 pm a) Optionally output as transport stream (.ts file)
The HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K, HDHomeRun FLEX 4K, and HDHomeRun SCRIBE 4K support this today.
hdhruser wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:55 pm b) Optionally change video format from H.265 to H.264 in real time
c) Optionally downscale video to a maximum size (example 4K to 1080, so it can be watched on older TV's).
This isn't practical. The Nvidia GTX-16xx series and RTX-20xx series GPUs can decode and encode 4K but the cost and power for a high end gaming GPU can only really be justified in a PC.
hdhruser wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:55 pm d) Optionally convert audio stream from ac4 to ac3 or eac3 in real time
We are working on a cloud assisted solution along these lines that works with existing models.

Nick

hdhruser

Re: Suggestion for future ATSC 3.0 device

Post by hdhruser »

nickk wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:47 pm We are working on a cloud assisted solution along these lines that works with existing models.
Thank you, but no thank you. Wasn't looking for a cloud-based anything. If it can't be done on the device itself then as far as I am concerned you may as well not bother. Maybe others will use it but I won't.