Updated hdhomerun_config software for linux?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Lost Dog

Updated hdhomerun_config software for linux?

Post by Lost Dog »

Is there a timeline to get an updated hdhomerun_config (and hdhomerun_config_gui) for linux? It seems we are behind our Win10 brethren when it comes to the software. I'm starting to help out with ATSC3.0 support on MythTV and would like to make sure I have everything I need to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Updated hdhomerun_config software for linux?

Post by NedS »

The page probably hasn't been updated yet on the main site, but you can also find the links here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/linux#c ... on_utility

Trip

Post by Trip »

NedS wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:19 pm The page probably hasn't been updated yet on the main site, but you can also find the links here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/linux#c ... on_utility
Unfortunately, the hdhomerun_config_gui zip file indicates that all the files inside are dated 2016, so the version number doesn't correspond to the files within. The libhdhomerun file is updated (and I've been using it), but I'd very much prefer to have the GUI available to me.

- Trip

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I'd much rather see them dump the computer-based app entirely and put all of the functionality on the device's web page where it belongs. Make it accessible on tablets and phones so we can adjust our attic and rooftop antennas without having to lug a laptop around. Probably less dev work to rewrite the entire thing in HTML and JavaScript than it would be to put everything together to get a platform that works on Linux and Mac and rewrite the entire app to use it.

Trip

Post by Trip »

jasonl wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:05 pm I'd much rather see them dump the computer-based app entirely and put all of the functionality on the device's web page where it belongs. Make it accessible on tablets and phones so we can adjust our attic and rooftop antennas without having to lug a laptop around. Probably less dev work to rewrite the entire thing in HTML and JavaScript than it would be to put everything together to get a platform that works on Linux and Mac and rewrite the entire app to use it.
I very much prefer the native code. "Web apps" tend to suck for most things, IMO.

If even the source for the existing Windows code was posted, then it would be possible for someone else to modify the existing code for other platforms, but that hasn't been done either. Users who aren't on Windows are pretty stuck right at the moment.

- Trip

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Trip wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:24 am
NedS wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:19 pm The page probably hasn't been updated yet on the main site, but you can also find the links here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/linux#c ... on_utility
Unfortunately, the hdhomerun_config_gui zip file indicates that all the files inside are dated 2016, so the version number doesn't correspond to the files within. The libhdhomerun file is updated (and I've been using it), but I'd very much prefer to have the GUI available to me.

- Trip
Odd, will inquire with the boss and see what's up. The zip files are generated by the build script, so it might be something that hasn't actually been updated since then, but a fresh zip file gets generated each time. I'll see what I can find out.

Trip

Post by Trip »

NedS wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm Odd, will inquire with the boss and see what's up. The zip files are generated by the build script, so it might be something that hasn't actually been updated since then, but a fresh zip file gets generated each time. I'll see what I can find out.
Any word? I appreciate it.

- Trip

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The GTK app for Linux/Mac is a completely separate codebase from the Windows version, and it hasn't seen a significant change since like 2011.

You could modify the existing GTK source to match the Windows functionality. It's not like most of the important stuff that is missing (e.g. PLP checkboxes for ATSC 3) would be difficult to implement for someone who knows GTK and even glanced at libhdhomerun. What exactly would you hope to glean from the Windows source code? Most of the differences other than the ATSC 3 stuff are Windows-specific and would be of no use whatsoever on Linux/Mac.