Windows 10: built 1909: HDHomeRun Launches to a Black Screen

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
windrider

Re: Windows 10: built 1909: HDHomeRun Launches to a Black Screen

Post by windrider » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Jason,
thanks for your help with this. Your having provided info about how the App has a deeper connection to Edge and IE was important, because without knowing that, I would now have thought to clean-up web browser related data. I would not have made that connection.

If your interested, I can send the Process Explorer Log to you. It's narrowed down to just HDHomeRunViewer.exe, and details pertaining to it, for a small amount of time just after launching the App.

Maybe somewhere in that capture, there are clues indicating some problem within the local user profile. I'm curious if the answer was staring me in the face.

If you give me a location, I'll upload the capture log for your analysis. It's not a big file.

Thanks again. :D

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm

You can email it to support at silicondust dot com.

windrider

Post by windrider » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 am

This past weekend, the issue started to happen again, so I thought I would describe what I'm doing to resolve it. It happened Saturday morning, which is typical because I'll go to start it to watch news in the morning. Upon start, the App showed up black. So to remedy, or at least what seemed to work, I opened up Edge and Internet Explorer (both of which I do not use) and proceeded to clear anything it would let me clear i.e. cookies, cached content etc. Than I logged off and back on only to find that HDhomerun was still launching to a black screen. My next step was to reboot and again try HDhomerun, and it was still launching to a black screen. So I returned here to the forum to refresh my memory as to exactly what steps worked last time to fix this.

I logged in as another account and launched the HDhomerun, and it worked in that account. Than once I logged off and back in again as my primary account it also worked there. My thinking is that somehow simply launching the software even in another account somehow resets the App.

However this morning (Sunday) the HDhomerun App again launched to a black screen. So to remedy, this morning I simply logged off and logged back on and that worked. My machine is always in a state of suspend to RAM, since this provides a nice way to save energy and quickly return to what I was doing last without the need to restart various programs. I find this very convenient, and this can go on for weeks at a time. It's usually perfectly OK, and things seem to be fully functional.

Why would logging off and back on again fix the problem where HDhomerun launches to a black screen. Is it possible that suspend to RAM may be somehow contributing to the problem?