New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by signcarver » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:40 am

Still having issues with black screen crash after about 10-20 minutes of live on jetstream 4k... disabled early access and got 12 hours.

Read about another having issue with october update on jetstream and noticed my software version was on 6/25 so i will update that and check if still a problem.

It would be nice for software version to also show in settings (not just ui version)

Edit: updated to latest software and enabled early access again... crashed live within 10 minutes. Won't test with early access disabled for a while as testing what the other user reported on playing back recordings.

breezytm

Re: New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by breezytm » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Live TV takes a while to start due to black screen.

jbahlman@gmail.com
Device ID: 13263ED4 13267ED9

Post by jbahlman@gmail.com » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 pm

I am a big fan of this new look. So much so that i rather live with the loading bug rather than go back to the non-early access version.

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Post by Bobstr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:49 pm

I like the new look. A lot.

Couple of thoughts : the size of the upper left text seems way too big. Should be only a couple points larger than the new text on the bottom.

Second, if you're going to show the current time in the bottom of the screen on the progress bar, do we actually need to duplicate that in the top left of the screen?

Also, the box that appears when you press pause / play, volume up /down overlays and blocks the new text in the top left corner. Very messy looking.

craigwillie

Post by craigwillie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 am

- Recording on the Servio
- Viewing via a FireTv 4k

Video constantly stutters and freezes with the new interface when playing back recorded shows.

No issues when using the old interface.

'Send diagnostic information' on all devices if this helps.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:31 am

Bobstr wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:49 pm
I like the new look. A lot.

Couple of thoughts : the size of the upper left text seems way too big. Should be only a couple points larger than the new text on the bottom.

Second, if you're going to show the current time in the bottom of the screen on the progress bar, do we actually need to duplicate that in the top left of the screen?

Also, the box that appears when you press pause / play, volume up /down overlays and blocks the new text in the top left corner. Very messy looking.
The time match is actually a slight bug. The indicator at the bottom should update to whatever time a show was at when rewinding and fast forwarding. While the time at the top should always be the current time. I don't think it does that yet, but that's the ultimate goal.

Could you give me a screenshot of this box you're talking about? When you change the volume or similar, the top is supposed to change to indicate what you are doing, and then change back. But there's not supposed to be a box. Here's the intended look.

Bogman25

Post by Bogman25 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Love the new features. Have one issue on a FireTV stick. The application randomly freezes and crashes now. Very random so nothing in common.

red5908

Post by red5908 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Phoenixfury wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:54 am
I love the new interface and I'd love to continue using it but I have a serious problem.

First off here is the following hardware that I am using.

Nvidia Shield 2017
HDHomerun Quatro (Device ID 10733C95)
External Western Digital 4TB hard drive

The issue is that after watching anything for a while through the HDHomerun app it seems like the app disconnects from the hard drive. (I have not yet tried watching any recordings with the new UI.) However if I check the Shield's settings it is still available. I can't get the app to see the hard drive again unless I reboot the Shield or if I force stop it. I tried again and everything seemed fine for a while then it would happen again. When this occurs I can't see the show artwork on some channels and my recordings seem to disappear. It acts exactly the same as if my hard drive was disconnected. If I revert back to the current UI this problem does not occur.
Seeing a similar issue on FTV 4K stick where after I finish playing a recording I get a blank Recordings screen with a message some like “Your HDHomeRun DVR is ready to record”. Requires force stop to get recording list back.

nkrick

Post by nkrick » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:12 pm

red5908 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 pm
Phoenixfury wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:54 am
I love the new interface and I'd love to continue using it but I have a serious problem.

First off here is the following hardware that I am using.

Nvidia Shield 2017
HDHomerun Quatro (Device ID 10733C95)
External Western Digital 4TB hard drive

The issue is that after watching anything for a while through the HDHomerun app it seems like the app disconnects from the hard drive. (I have not yet tried watching any recordings with the new UI.) However if I check the Shield's settings it is still available. I can't get the app to see the hard drive again unless I reboot the Shield or if I force stop it. I tried again and everything seemed fine for a while then it would happen again. When this occurs I can't see the show artwork on some channels and my recordings seem to disappear. It acts exactly the same as if my hard drive was disconnected. If I revert back to the current UI this problem does not occur.
Seeing a similar issue on FTV 4K stick where after I finish playing a recording I get a blank Recordings screen with a message some like “Your HDHomeRun DVR is ready to record”. Requires force stop to get recording list back.
This problem is also documented in the "KUDOS BUT..." Thread. In this thread it is mentioned by nateb that they reproduced the problem and it is specific to Android TV (which includes FireTV I believe). They are working on a solution.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am

The problem of the DVR disappearing and losing Slice metadata should be fixed with the newest update (v. 1030).

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:10 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am
The problem of the DVR disappearing and losing Slice metadata should be fixed with the newest update (v. 1030).

Awesome! I'll definitely give it a try again.

ota

Post by ota » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:31 pm

Win10: when using remote channel +/- (page down/up) to change channels, all of the Live TV UI controls flash for a nanosecond and then the channel changes. To make the display useful and not distracting, first change the channel and then show just the new channel info in the upper left for 2 to 3 seconds, without playback or slice controls, just as WMC does.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:47 am

ota wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:31 pm
Win10: when using remote channel +/- (page down/up) to change channels, all of the Live TV UI controls flash for a nanosecond and then the channel changes. To make the display useful and not distracting, first change the channel and then show just the new channel info in the upper left for 2 to 3 seconds, without playback or slice controls, just as WMC does.
This is a really good idea. It may take some work to do though. Let me talk to dev-type people.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:48 am

ota wrote:
Just to throw an idea out there and see if you guys like it:

An alternative to this that I always liked is the ability to chan up/down and show that changed channel info on screen, but not actually change channels until you stopped channel surfing for 5 or 10 seconds. Kodi has a feature like this modeled after some set top boxes, and it quickly became my favorite way to directly change channels.

ota

Post by ota » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 am

NedS wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:48 am
ota wrote:
Just to throw an idea out there and see if you guys like it:

An alternative to this that I always liked is the ability to chan up/down and show that changed channel info on screen, but not actually change channels until you stopped channel surfing for 5 or 10 seconds. Kodi has a feature like this modeled after some set top boxes, and it quickly became my favorite way to directly change channels.
Yes, that's a good implementation with the real goal being to see the next channel info quickly in order to decide to move on. Although I'd only wait at most 2 seconds, maybe just 1, before starting the stream. WMC may actually do the same as it's very quick to flip through the channel info, and, it starts the stream pretty quick afterward.

Also, currently when changing channels the app stops and doesn't continue once you get to the first/last channel. That needs to be changed as well to make this work smoothly.