New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:27 am

The UI update isn't so much a new feature as a refinement of the existing UI controls. Meanwhile, sped up Slice should make slice better to interact with, particularly on Android mobile devices. To play around with both, you will need to enable Early Access from settings. And if you'd like to turn it off for now, disable Early Access.

A few known bugs remain that should be resolved in the next few days, but we wanted to get this into early access now to see what other bugs could be found by the community and get some feedback on design.

Known bugs
  • On first launching Live TV, the title may sometimes be from the wrong channel
  • Rewinding and Fast Forwarding Live TV does not change the stated time on the time indicator
  • Opening Slice a little then scrolling up and down does not always result in expected behavior
  • SAP button can break playback on Android devices
Design feedback - Primarily we're interested in what you think of title fonts/sizes and if/what else you might like to see in the top left corner, particularly when playing back recorded content; however, all feedback is welcome!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by signcarver » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:59 am

Looks ok but totally messing up on my jetstream after a few minutes... first time it just went completely black and exited. When going up and down through tiles it appears if I pause on something that is longer than previous shows it jumps out more then when I go down, nothing but green on current selection. After I left the UI to watch show tiles were randomly appearing as all black and eventually full black screen again and exits. Will have to try other clients later.

nateb
Silicondust

Re: New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:12 am

signcarver wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:59 am
After I left the UI to watch show tiles were randomly appearing as all black and eventually full black screen again and exits. Will have to try other clients later.
Wait, are you saying when only video was playing and no UI at all, tiles were randomly appearing?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:19 am

yes it was a couple of minutes after I exited "UI" and just watching video. The first time just the whole screen went black but the next time I can see various parts of the "UI" trying to turn on and off randomly at various times until eventually nearly everything on the screen turned black (note first behavior was on a local...2nd was on a drm cable channel though may not be the cause)... I will try to get a video put together and/or screen shots.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks, would be much appreciated. When the UI is dismissed it should DEFINITELY not be interfering with plain live TV.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:03 am

I all want to say right now is hello timestamps!!! :D
I’ll have to check out the rest when I get home tonight.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 pm

In the Win10 app, I can confirm the weird green slice behavior. I have not seen the black screen and crash issues yet. Love the timestamp and new upper corner display.

I sure hope the remote control bugs are on the list, such as Ch+/Ch-. And the channel # entry bugs.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:25 pm

thedoomster wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 pm
In the Win10 app, I can confirm the weird green slice behavior. I have not seen the black screen and crash issues yet. Love the timestamp and new upper corner display.

I sure hope the remote control bugs are on the list, such as Ch+/Ch-. And the channel # entry bugs.
Sorry, yes, to be clear, we have two lists of bugs. The list above is just bugs that were introduced by these new features. We're keeping that list separate from the longer list of bugs like the remote control bugs.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:54 pm

On my Shield, I am also seeing the "weird green slice" behavior. But I have not seen the black screen or the random black tiles described by signcarver.

One thing I'd like to see modified in this new UI is to add seconds to the current position marker on the new show timeline.

Oh, and one old item that I'd like to see changed is, in the slice guide, please don't show red dots for recording "candidates" on the current slice (but you should show red dots for future programs in that slice if they are recording candidates). On the current slice, please only show a red dot when it is actually being recorded. You could also show a "currently recording" indicator in the new program information in the upper left hand corner.

Thanks.

ETA: I just checked my Win10 machine and I'm seeing the green slice without guide data there as well. And I don't see black screen or the random black tiles there either.

ETA 2: I'm also still seeing another issue that was reported a few weeks ago that needs attention. And that is, when changing the channel (up or down), sometimes (not always), the selected slice will pop out and stay out showing no guide data, even though you did not press the right-button on the remote. If you select that channel while it's popped out, you (at least I just did) get an error screen saying "Invariant Violation: Minified React error #31;.... " with a bunch of other stuff on the error screen.
Last edited by leerandall on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mchias13
Device ID: 131D4055

Post by mchias13 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:54 pm

The current show in the upper left doesn't match the actual show. The channel is correct. I'm currently watching Jeopardy and it's showing the news that would be on the sub channel.

Nevermind, delete post. I see this was one of the bugs. I changed channels and back and it fixed the show.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:54 pm

mchias13 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:54 pm
The current show in the upper left doesn't match the actual show. The channel is correct. I'm currently watching Jeopardy and it's showing the news that would be on the sub channel.

Nevermind, delete post. I see this was one of the bugs. I changed channels and back and it fixed the show.
No worries. Always good to get additional confirmation on these things.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:09 pm

I like the new timeline job bar! Nicely done. And thanks.

nkrick

Post by nkrick » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:56 pm

The text in the upper left showing things like pause, fast forward, etc is a bit large for my taste. I'd also prefer FFWD and RWD to spelling it out.

I'd also like the progress bar to stay up a bit longer when using FFWD, it feels like I barely have time to read it and found myself hitting pause to be able to read it. Maybe the amount of time it shows can be customized in the setting screen.

I also noticed that when skipping through commercials, the progress bar acted very choppy. When hitting FFWD several times, the progress indicator would get "stuck" and only update a second or less before the screen went away.

nkrick

Post by nkrick » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Also, I think the opacity of the bottom bar needs to be increased a little bit. It is hard to read over text (such as what you see on a news program) and the white font and icons can get lost in a white/light screen behind them.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:54 am

I love the new interface and I'd love to continue using it but I have a serious problem.

First off here is the following hardware that I am using.

Nvidia Shield 2017
HDHomerun Quatro (Device ID 10733C95)
External Western Digital 4TB hard drive

The issue is that after watching anything for a while through the HDHomerun app it seems like the app disconnects from the hard drive. (I have not yet tried watching any recordings with the new UI.) However if I check the Shield's settings it is still available. I can't get the app to see the hard drive again unless I reboot the Shield or if I force stop it. I tried again and everything seemed fine for a while then it would happen again. When this occurs I can't see the show artwork on some channels and my recordings seem to disappear. It acts exactly the same as if my hard drive was disconnected. If I revert back to the current UI this problem does not occur.