Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Post by nateb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:07 am

Yeah, the bugs that result from running a long time are sometimes the hardest to catch. I'll try leaving running for a long time today and maybe overnight, and see what I can find.

edit: Just to make sure, when you go into the episode view from Discover, you're hitting the button labeled Watch Now, right? Not something else?

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Re: Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Post by Bobstr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 am

nateb wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:07 am
Yeah, the bugs that result from running a long time are sometimes the hardest to catch. I'll try leaving running for a long time today and maybe overnight, and see what I can find.

edit: Just to make sure, when you go into the episode view from Discover, you're hitting the button labeled Watch Now, right? Not something else?
You're not kidding about the pain that bugs that crop up only after long term use can cause... I deal with that all too often in my day job....

Yes. the change from episode view to live TV is achieved by pressing watch now - its simply a button press via remote or keyboard since you guys adjusted the focus to that button when going to episode view (absolutely loved that change btw).

I know that most of the code doesn't reside locally anymore, but would a uninstall/reinstall of the app or a bare metal rebuild of the O/S have any potential affect for resolving this? It's well know that in *some* cases, old or bad registry bits, DLL's, etc. can sometimes impact things negatively. (the PC is used almost exclusively for HDHomeRun and KODI, with only rare uses of Edge for browsing/streaming, so doing a bare metal rebuild isn't a big issue. Nothing else is installed or run on it). It'll take me an hour or so (+ time to run the windows updates) to frag and rebuild. it's not an issue if you think it could potentially help us understand what's happening.

I've also got two more PC's running HDHomeRun. One that I recently added that is used/configured like the one in question, and one that's my desktop PC. I'll try to dup this issue on those.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm

It's very unlikely that a re-install would do anything. Cache is actually the biggest issue for that stuff, we make sure the cache clears fairly regularly for everyone. Let me know if your other PCs can replicate.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 pm

I finally had the chance to check another machine. Apologies for taking so long to do it.

One system wouldn't repro the issue within a few minutes, didn't have time to do a longer test that more accurately tracks how we normally use it and see the issue.

I took the other system and replaced my primary system with it. While not in early access mode, it worked perfectly for 5 or 6 tries, then it started reproducing the problem constantly. All within 5 or 10 minutes of starting to try. I then turned on early access, couldn't quickly repro, but it did after a dozen or so attempts over an hour's time. I realized that I needed to do some windows updates, including the major update to OS version 1903 on this machine I replaced my primary system with. It's still doing the updates. Will provide more tomorrow after its finished and I can test again.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:21 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm
It's very unlikely that a re-install would do anything. Cache is actually the biggest issue for that stuff, we make sure the cache clears fairly regularly for everyone. Let me know if your other PCs can replicate.
I've tested another PC in the place of our primary one. It often takes a good amount of time before it replicates the issue, but it does. Every now and then, it takes no more than a few minutes, but most of the time it takes hours of watching live TV, occasionally pressing exit to return to Discover, selecting a show, pressing watch now. Lather, rinse, repeat... Left it running with the receiver and TV running for many hours with no intervention and came home to it replicating the issue immediately. Restarted the app, and proper behavior instantly.

Proper behavior: Open Discover, select show, press watch now. Wait, press exit - goes to recorded TV screen.

Improper behavior: Open Discover, select show, press watch now. Wait, press exit- goes to episode screen of show that 'watch now' was pressed in. Same list of episodes, not updated to current time slot. Pressing exit
once to get to Discover screen displays the now stale Discover screen show data from the old half hour time slot. Must press exit again to get Discover to correct and display current timeslot.

The only hardware used in the replacement PC that was in the old PC is the video card - an NVidia Geforce 1030 (I didn't have another card I could use).