You're never going to fix my pause button are you?

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

You're never going to fix my pause button are you?

Post by averyfreeman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Windows 10 client 20190830
Early access to new features = on or off, doesn't matter

Steps to reproduce:
Turn early access either on or off
Exit program
Open program
Open recording
Try pause - works first time
Close recording
Open recording
Try pause - does not work

This has been going on for at least the last month and a half. It's been fixed and then another UI rendition gets proliferated and it's broken again.

It's super, super irritating.

You guys have been responsive about fixing things in the past, but why is this one function so hard to keep working?

It's a pause button. It's kind of fundamental to the use of a video watching program. Especially when there's people who need to talk to each other and want to stop the TV for a second, or skip commercials without little blips and blaps of commercial noises being audible because they can't pause the video feed.

For the love of god, please. I beg you.

Fix my pause button. And then stop breaking it!

Edit: Wanted to add my controller model for reference:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWPYSMF

Thank you

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: You're never going to fix my pause button are you?

Post by nateb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Your emotional plea tugs at my heart strings.

Serious answer, we spent a lot of August dealing with rewriting a lot of the Slice guide so it would be faster for people with hundreds of channels. That touched a lot of things, resulting in lots of things breaking. Now we're finally back to fixing these smaller issues and should get on this one pretty quickly. I'm now going through the list and working on prioritizing. We think this should be an easy fix (and we can easily replicate it), so will probably get a pretty high priority.

edit: Note: This is the same bug (technically speaking as this one: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=71997

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm
Your emotional plea tugs at my heart strings.
You can really sense the frustration, can't you? hehe :D
nateb wrote:
Serious answer, we spent a lot of August dealing with rewriting a lot of the Slice guide so it would be faster for people with hundreds of channels. That touched a lot of things, resulting in lots of things breaking. Now we're finally back to fixing these smaller issues and should get on this one pretty quickly. I'm now going through the list and working on prioritizing. We think this should be an easy fix (and we can easily replicate it), so will probably get a pretty high priority.
Awesome. BTW slice guide has been working fine over here, and I am thankful the red dots are back indicating a scheduled recording (I remember when first transitioning to new UI those had disappeared).
nateb wrote:
edit: Note: This is the same bug (technically speaking as this one: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=71997
Very interesting.

Yes I appreciate that you've got a big job with lots of platforms to support and different systems, devices, etc. to account for, so I'm thankful the issue is similar to one being experienced by people with a more mainstream device like the xBox 1, and it's not just some niche issue I'm the only person complaining about.

So thanks for taking it into consideration, for all of us.

On the other hand, pause should work. It's pause. It's one step removed from play. I can't imagine in what world it should not be prioritized.

I admit I don't understand the complexity of supporting pause and not breaking it when working on other issues that to my uneducated mind seem unrelated, but seriously dude.

Pause.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 am

averyfreeman wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 pm
nateb wrote:
Very interesting.

Yes I appreciate that you've got a big job with lots of platforms to support and different systems, devices, etc. to account for, so I'm thankful the issue is similar to one being experienced by people with a more mainstream device like the xBox 1, and it's not just some niche issue I'm the only person complaining about.
It’s not just similar, it is the same. The Win 10 and Xbox One app are the same app/platform. I believe much of the media key links are the same, but there are likely some differences in key mapping (I don’t know app the details)

There are many people affected by this issue. My wife complains about this particular issue regularly.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:38 pm

It's irritating af!!!

I have to say, though, I thought I was fed up with it for good last weekend and set up Plex Media Server and started sending the HDHR recordings to a media library

The interface is awful for anything but a mouse, and the playback was slower / grainy.

I've done testing in Kodi with the HDHR apps (both official and unofficial) and both of them, while better than the Plex player, appear to be lacking in tactile usability, too.

Part of it I'm sure is that I'm just used to the way HDHR View works now, but it seems to be the best out of the pack AFAIC.

So I'll just keep coming back to complain whenever it stops working and learn to live with the fact that the developers didn't offer a beta channel for early adopters separate from the main platform. ;)

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:25 pm

averyfreeman wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:38 pm
It's irritating af!!!

I have to say, though, I thought I was fed up with it for good last weekend and set up Plex Media Server and started sending the HDHR recordings to a media library

The interface is awful for anything but a mouse, and the playback was slower / grainy.

I've done testing in Kodi with the HDHR apps (both official and unofficial) and both of them, while better than the Plex player, appear to be lacking in tactile usability, too.

Part of it I'm sure is that I'm just used to the way HDHR View works now, but it seems to be the best out of the pack AFAIC.

So I'll just keep coming back to complain whenever it stops working and learn to live with the fact that the developers didn't offer a beta channel for early adopters separate from the main platform. ;)
Is this still a problem for you? This should be fixed. Testing on Win10 and Xbox, and in both cases, if you pause, leave, and then open another recording, pausing still works for us.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:25 pm
averyfreeman wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:38 pm
It's irritating af!!!

Is this still a problem for you? This should be fixed. Testing on Win10 and Xbox, and in both cases, if you pause, leave, and then open another recording, pausing still works for us.
In that scenario it does work, however if you watch a whole show and pause/play a few times it seems to fail after a while. We are still seeing it on our Xbox Ones.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:57 pm

GetMatt wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 pm

In that scenario it does work, however if you watch a whole show and pause/play a few times it seems to fail after a while. We are still seeing it on our Xbox Ones.
Will do some testing. Thanks for the report.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 am

nateb wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:57 pm
GetMatt wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Will do some testing. Thanks for the report.
Sorry for the late follow-up, pause appears to work without issue in Windows 10 20191030, I seem to remember it getting better around late aug / sept but don't have any actual dates documented

I'm glad I wasn't the only one having the issue (sorry xBoxers)

Thank you