HDHomeRun UI

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
dshookowsky

HDHomeRun UI

Post by dshookowsky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:59 pm

I noticed a few changes for the worse in the new HDHomerun UI. Are there any fixes for any of these?

1) The channel names don't appear any longer. It will show the channel number, but doesn't say if it's HBO/CBS etc
2) When you select a program, it takes you to the record option for the show and you have to navigate up and to the left to get to the 'Watch' button
3) When you hide a program, it returns you to the home screen instead of back to the discover screen where you were.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun UI

Post by NedS » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Fixes are being worked on 2 and 3 on your list.

For 1, do you mean there is no channel title in Discover/program info?

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I can't speak this person, BUT I miss the network information listing on the recordings as well as discovery. It's hard to remember, with so many channels, what network they represent. I might not want to pick something on a channel that only runs reruns, or one that has DRM, for instance. Or, in the case of movies, one that has commercials. Taking away network information is a downgrade, not an improvement to me.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 am

Thunderthud wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 am
NedS wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I can't speak this person, BUT I miss the network information listing on the recordings as well as discovery. It's hard to remember, with so many channels, what network they represent. I might not want to pick something on a channel that only runs reruns, or one that has DRM, for instance. Or, in the case of movies, one that has commercials. Taking away network information is a downgrade, not an improvement to me.
I see what you guys are talking about now. Yeah, I kinda agree, it was better when you could see the network name rather than the number.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:28 am

NedS wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 am
I see what you guys are talking about now. Yeah, I kinda agree, it was better when you could see the network name rather than the number.
Thanks! Feels SO good not being ignored!

pcrispy

Post by pcrispy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:00 am

As a lot of people have begged for a legit program guide (grid style listing) and I absolutely agree that a normal cable style (or Channels app) grid would be a massive help. Aside from that obvious need, the current progress bar is pretty bad in terms of visibility. Using light green on “slightly darker green” just doesn’t help a whole lot. If a floating time hovered over the progress bar, that would solve it, otherwise new colors would help.Image

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 am

pcrispy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:00 am
As a lot of people have begged for a legit program guide (grid style listing) and I absolutely agree that a normal cable style (or Channels app) grid would be a massive help. Aside from that obvious need, the current progress bar is pretty bad in terms of visibility. Using light green on “slightly darker green” just doesn’t help a whole lot. If a floating time hovered over the progress bar, that would solve it, otherwise new colors would help.Image
That's also going to be fixed, everyone is in agreement on that :)

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:32 am

NedS wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 am
Old UI had both and I use both. The channels I use the most, I go by the channel NUMBER, but some that I don't use often, I go by the Network name. With the new UI, I've had to go to TitanTV to see what which network and channel number.

pcrispy

Post by pcrispy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:04 am

NedS wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 am
pcrispy wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for listening to the suggestions and making the upgrades!

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 pm

IMO: The new UI is definitely hindered by not being able to see Network name. If I want to record an episode/movie and that is ONLY showing on a DRM channel (not allowed yet) and I don’t know if the Channel# is DRM, seeing Network name on detail page would solve this. Currently, I have to exit to Live, go to Channel# to see Network name. Then I have to re-enter search criteria in Discover (as Discover page loses the criteria info upon exit to Live) to then return to episode/movie detail if it isn’t a DRM channel so that I can setup the Task. Very cumbersome!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:34 pm

I'm wondering if it would be better to actually put a DRM tag (similar to the red dot) on the tiles and/or in the episode listings based on channel number. Though with how much lag is on the new UI, doing so may increase sluggishness particularly if on the tile and if episodes have both, it would probably need a different shade "drm dot" but when on the listing of episodes, it should know by channel number (yes, there may be times that one prime has a channel marked as DRM and another where it doesn't but usually that wouldn't be the case).

Once DRM recording is permitted, it might be a good idea to have an property of NoDRM=1 (or such) be allowed through the recording_rules API even if not in the official apps (similar to how ChannelOnly is now) to tell the servers to not present recordings for that show if on a DRM channel (if they keep such info upstream) or have the recording engine enforce such rule itself.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 pm

That would work for me!

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:10 pm

We're working on lag right now. It's going to take a bit of coding to really solve though, so may take a bit. When that's solved, feel free to ping about the DRM idea again. Definitely worth visiting.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Watch now button should be default button starting with 0805b. Which should be available to everyone in the next hour or so.

nkrick

Post by nkrick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:34 pm

pcrispy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:04 am
NedS wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 am
pcrispy wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for listening to the suggestions and making the upgrades!
They will be working on the green on green bar. I am pretty sure no major change is coming to the slices guide listing or discover UI. The grid TV guide listing is patented and SiliconDust can only implement if they pay royalty's. They have said many times in the past that it is not in the plans to license the grid layout, so unless something changed, I wouldn't count on getting a grid.