Not sure about the new UI.

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
RayDas

Not sure about the new UI.

Post by RayDas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 am

The new UI makes the recordings session, a real PIA.

The biggest problem is, for me, is when you find the particular item, make the selection to record, the UI throws you back to the main screen. So, in other words, you have to find the new selection, and go through the process again. In the old UI, you had to back out of the process manually, and in the main area everything was exactly as you had set it. at this point, my proffered method.

The other problem that I am having is to get the channel listings to appear and function like it used too. This meaning, how do I get the up/down arrow usage to work as expected. Now, it seems I have to key in the magnifying glass icon to get that to make the up/down arrow keys to work properly.

When viewing a recorded session, how do you get rid of the information bar that appears at the lower portion of the screen? And it seems like the FF function has not really improved, it locks up the recording, and you basically have to back out of the recording and start from scratch.

I also noticed that general use of new UI seems to somewhat slower in response times. These are just a few items that I have discovered in the short time of usage.

shalamigri

Re: Not sure about the new UI.

Post by shalamigri » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:25 am

I couldn't get channel search to work on Nvidia Shield TV box. I select the channel search magnifying glass, enter the channel number and then select done, but nothing happens.

Since this isn't quite yet ready for prime time, I think SD should revert back to the previous version until this one is in order. Not sure why, but the font choice and size on the recorded show home screen is urking me for some reason.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am

We have confirmed the issue with the channel search - that will be fixed today.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:40 am

RayDas wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 am
And it seems like the FF function has not really improved, it locks up the recording, and you basically have to back out of the recording and start from scratch.
What platform are you on?

Nick

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:45 am

The platform is, Windows 10 Pro.

Something to consider with the new UI, create new categories. At the moment it automatically has All, Shows, Movies, not sure about the fourth one. I also do a lot of recordings of C-Span book TV, whenever they are available. These seem to be saved in the All category, and it is a PIA to go through all off the selections just find a selection that I want. I do a lot of move recordings, especially the TCM kind, so the All category has a lot of listings in it.

Now that I think about it, when I view the recorded program, I think the green line is a very beneficial component that shows exactly where in the program the viewing is.

CLorox
Device ID: 13107370,131A76C0

Post by CLorox » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 pm

I found one nagging bug still occurring since beta.

Specifically the sorting is not working for me on xb1 or windows with a Harmony or MCE remote respectively. Xb1 and windows attempts to sort using “ok/select or “a/green” don’t actually sort . Using a mouse to left click the column header does sort on windows.

Not really a defect, but It also seems slightly more sluggish. Not sure how to quantify it without the old UI and a stopwatch. Best way I can describe it is sluggish feel and slightly longer time to load the slices after a fresh startup or swap between video and menus.

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Windows 10 Pro platform.

When I start the new UI, it comes up in live TV, and when I click on the screen to bring up the channel listings on the right side, it seems like it does a little moan and groan, then it hesitates for at least a couple of seconds before the channel listings appear. On the old UI that procedure was almost instantaneous.

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm

is there a way i could get the old ver. where can i download the apk of the old hdhomerun app im also having issues with the new UI discover wont change to the channel when im selecting watch now and im getting a black screen when watching a channel for 1 hr or so i have to exit the app and reopen it all the time now because of all the bugs

patman

Post by patman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Windows 10 Home 1809 - I have to click on the screen with the mouse to get the slice menu to appear, using the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard doesn't make it appear anymore. Once it's displayed the keys work as before. A bigger problem might be that the ESC key no longer seems to work at all.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

jessie10133 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm
is there a way i could get the old ver. where can i download the apk of the old hdhomerun app im also having issues with the new UI discover wont change to the channel when im selecting watch now and im getting a black screen when watching a channel for 1 hr or so i have to exit the app and reopen it all the time now because of all the bugs
The UI is done server-side and can't be downgraded by the user. We will fix the problems you've described ASAP.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 pm

patman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:11 pm
Windows 10 Home 1809 - I have to click on the screen with the mouse to get the slice menu to appear, using the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard doesn't make it appear anymore. Once it's displayed the keys work as before. A bigger problem might be that the ESC key no longer seems to work at all.
Sounds like a the control problem from yesterday/this morning. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have updated already, but we will look into this and see what can be done to force Windows to refresh the UI code.

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:03 am

Another problem with this mornings attempt to setup some recordings. When I try to use 'recording end:', it does not except the first click on the first try. It does except it on the second click, but then it crashes the program, you have to restart the UI program. I tried it a couple of times with the same result.

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 am

So, it is coming up on a couple of weeks since the "new UI" has been pushed out, and it seems like the UI is not getting any closer to functioning like the old UI. A question for SD, what is the final version of the "new UI" supposed to function and look like?

My main concern is in the recordings functionality, is the goal to make it a one item selection, at which time it goes back to the main screen and then you have to go through the search and locate procedure from scratch again. Maybe the recordings session should get its own area or selection, just like "discovery" and "tasks". Maybe SD has enough information that is showing that the recordings people are a minority group.

otaku

Post by otaku » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 pm

I give up on the new UI.

Family has created a lynch mob so I'm hiding in the closest till things calm down.

Tonight I'm going to show them the Kodi HD HomeRun add-on because after test driving it I'm convinced they'll love it.

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:22 am

This morning I was trying to do some clean-up in my recordings, and in a lot of cases I am getting - TypeError: unable to get properly 'childnodes' of undefined or null reference. What the heck is going on, has my WD Mycloud NAS, that holds the recordings been compromised? I have a lot of recordings, maybe 20TB, if so this would be a very big problem.

It seems like one thing, in the new UI, gets fixed, and a bunch of other problems start to show up. I hope all this gets fixed before the fall recordings season starts, which is what, a month in half away.