New UI is up for everyone

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Re: New UI is up for everyone

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:22 pm

signcarver wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:23 pm
Winterlight wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:28 pm
With the new firmware I read SD announcement that you can now use multiple devices to record. Does that mean you can use you two Windows 10 computers as recording devices instead of just one and if so how do you set that up?
Usually nothing to set up but enable the other engine (make sure the current one is on latest as well). Only one will record (usually the one with the most space). Optionally one may set up max streams (registry entry on windows, or line in .conf file on other platforms)
This is very interesting, but can you describe a scenario in which one would want multiple record engines?

Ahh ... sorry - re-read, so it's for space constraint failover? What about failover in case of the first engine being down, is there an affinity setting? Where'd you see docs for this?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm

There are no "docs" other than announcement in May as it is just a feature with no expected configuration. The only thing that needs to be documented (that the user can control) a little more properly someplace is the RecordStreamsMax (which can be set to 0 to not record).

Cuvis

Post by Cuvis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 am
Cuvis wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:21 am
Having a couple of issues with the recording interface on Android TV (Shield). First thing is that, in the episode list, channel names are no longer shown; only channel numbers are, which drives me nuts since I never really paid attention to channel numbers. Second thing is that, I can't seem to select the start before and end after dropdowns using the remote; in order to set a buffer on either of these, I've had to switch to an air mouse. Is anyone else seeing the same behavior?

Channel names have always been pretty glitchy. We're looking into a solution that should work for everyone where we do channel logos, which should accomplish the same task.

I'm not seeing the problem of being unable to navigate to buffer. If you navigate up from the channel list, it should go to "title" then to "Season" and then you should be able to navigate right to "30s Before." At least when you open a recording page from tasks.

Could you give me a walk through of how you get to the page? That can sometimes change how the page is presented.
OK, I was just able to reproduce it. Here are the steps I'm following:

1. From the menu, go to Discover, then Movies.
2. Select a movie that is not yet showing.
3. Navigate down to the show times. Select a show time and hit the center button to record.
4. Navigate up to the header row for the show times table (Channel - Title - Episode - Air date).

From here, the behavior that takes place when you hit up is weirdly counter intuitive, and there is no way to get to the start and end drop downs.

- If you highlight Channel or Title and press up, nothing happens.
- If you highlight Episode and press up, Tasks is selected.
- If you highlight Airdate and press up, the settings icon is selected.

I did find that if the moving is showing now, pressing up from Channel will take you to the Watch Now button, and then you can navigate to the start and end drop downs. But the behavior on the other column headers is the same, and so you have to navigate left to the Channel header, then up to Watch Now, and then right to the drop downs.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Cuvis wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 pm
OK, I was just able to reproduce it. Here are the steps I'm following:

1. From the menu, go to Discover, then Movies.
2. Select a movie that is not yet showing.
3. Navigate down to the show times. Select a show time and hit the center button to record.
4. Navigate up to the header row for the show times table (Channel - Title - Episode - Air date).

From here, the behavior that takes place when you hit up is weirdly counter intuitive, and there is no way to get to the start and end drop downs.

- If you highlight Channel or Title and press up, nothing happens.
- If you highlight Episode and press up, Tasks is selected.
- If you highlight Airdate and press up, the settings icon is selected.

I did find that if the moving is showing now, pressing up from Channel will take you to the Watch Now button, and then you can navigate to the start and end drop downs. But the behavior on the other column headers is the same, and so you have to navigate left to the Channel header, then up to Watch Now, and then right to the drop downs.
Ah ha. Got it. Yes, pretty much all the options from title should probably flow through buffer in that situation. Will get on it, thanks!

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

@nateb

Thank you adding and keeping current the changelog viewtopic.php?f=132&t=71354#p344947. It has become my quick go to thread for latest fixes and improvement :D :D :D

The_Jonathan
Device ID: 10715F9E

Post by The_Jonathan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Nice fix for discovery today:

“Watch Now button should always get focus when opening episodes view“

Thanks

Prime

Remains unstable and frustrating to use

Post by Prime » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:40 am

The app update on FireTV Cube remains incredibly unstable.

- It will often drop the tuner and go to black. A crash, apparently. Remote stops working. Only solution is to hit home button (quitting HDHomeRun) on remote back to Amazon FTV home page and relaunch HDHomeRun.

- Pressing play/pause 13 times to bring up the settings screen, and turning off Use AC3 passthrough did help CBS which had voice syncing problems and was unwatchable with update. However…

- CBS has remained problematic. The audio will sometimes not work, usually on launch if that was the last station it was on. Moving to other channels, audio is fine.

- Changing channels is S L O W as hell. 6 or more seconds. This is unacceptable.

We know Silicon Dust loves this quirky animated arrows scrolling type of side interface with channel pop outs but, frankly, have you seen the Amazon Recast guide UI method? It works WAY BETTER. It shows info about a show or upcoming. It leaves a small window of the current video playing.

https://images.idgesg.net/images/articl ... 6-orig.jpg

DebbieFL33

Post by DebbieFL33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm

I’m still using new UI (Access to early feature - back “ON”). Not seeing any problems and the other day it was fixed...is this not the case @jasonl?

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:17 am

DebbieFL33 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm
I’m still using new UI (Access to early feature - back “ON”). Not seeing any problems and the other day it was fixed...is this not the case @jasonl?
You can't avoid the new UI anymore. It's still in testing and there's no option to go back.

I even tried nuking my HDHR W10 store app w/ iobit uninstaller and it went right back to new UI when I re-installed the HDHR app. I had another computer I used rarely I was trying to keep on the old version and it updated without intervention even though I have auto-update turned off in Windows Store.

I'm usually happy to beta-test things but there should at least be an option to opt-out. I'm getting irritated that my pause button stops working every 2-3 days.

DebbieFL33

Post by DebbieFL33 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Agree with your sentiments, Avery; however:

I do prefer the new UI...even with it’s quirks. And, using Access New Features (ON).

To me, a very positive step fwd. However, I would NOT, appreciate it either, if I experienced problems while I was testing if SD’s response was delayed.
For now, I’m still only testing, overall, as we cannot use in current condition...and can’t until refined further. For now, we use a combo (apps).

I’d like to find a “One Star app solution”, but for now, haven’t found same. And still limping along since 1st QTR 2016. Of course, many improvements in a DVR solution in many, many ways...by various devs.

However, I remain clueless towards “My Ultimate” !!!.

My questions remain:

What can I try...tried a lot but some fail, and others may continue to strive for their goals. And in the mix, those working towards an “end”, but previously haven’t demonstrated either “a path towards my goal” nor a willingness to listen to “beta testers”. SD, to me has changed previously “intractable and impossible attitude”. SD, was such a conflicted dev team, but in the past 6-10 months has changed for the positive, for all of us “kickstarters” and newcomers.

AND, what tools can I use in the interim...i.e., Plex: or X, or Y...or ?. :D

GlowingBlueMist

Post by GlowingBlueMist » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:46 pm

All Right, my thanks to nateb and who ever worked on the UI. :D
I just started my system and saw that I could now add up to 3 hours to the Recording End Time in the tasks.
Now with a little luck I will no longer get to the end of the recording of sports events only to find the event ran late.
For what it's worth my system is showing a UI date of 20190828 and I do have the Early access to new features turned on.
Not sure what else might have been fixed with today's UI change as I have not read the change log.

bradl79

Post by bradl79 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm

This is extremely horrible and buggy. Can we just get the old one back until you fix this.

Using Nvidia Shield
Issues
1. Sometimes I can not click down to other recordings. I have to completely exit the app and go back in.
2. Too Big
3. Will not show/record new recordings in Recordings Tab (especially for sporting events)
4. Will not even allow me to record when going through Tasks and clicking on Show.
5. Much Much More..., It is becoming less and less reliable and usable.

JUST LET US GO BACK TO THE OLD ONE UNTIL YOU CAN GET THIS CRAP FIGURED OUT PLEASE!!!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm

bradl79 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm
This is extremely horrible and buggy. Can we just get the old one back until you fix this.

Using Nvidia Shield
Issues
1. Sometimes I can not click down to other recordings. I have to completely exit the app and go back in.
2. Too Big
3. Will not show/record new recordings in Recordings Tab (especially for sporting events)
4. Will not even allow me to record when going through Tasks and clicking on Show.
5. Much Much More..., It is becoming less and less reliable and usable.

JUST LET US GO BACK TO THE OLD ONE UNTIL YOU CAN GET THIS CRAP FIGURED OUT PLEASE!!!
There is no "old one". There is an app, a remotely loadable UI, DVR software, and a backend system of servers for guide and recording tasks. All have to be in sync to work, and one cannot be rolled back without rolling all of them back, which would break more things than it would fix.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm

NedS wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm
There is no "old one". There is an app, a remotely loadable UI, DVR software, and a backend system of servers for guide and recording tasks.
If there is now only one UI do we still need a special forum section for the "New UI"?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm
NedS wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm
There is no "old one". There is an app, a remotely loadable UI, DVR software, and a backend system of servers for guide and recording tasks.
If there is now only one UI do we still need a special forum section for the "New UI"?
For the time being it's basically the "UI-specific issues" forum.