New UI - SD tickles me

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
neil459

Re: New UI - SD tickles me

Postby neil459 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:41 am

So the patents have nothing to do with it? To be honest would be much happier to hear you can't afford the patent licensing fees and don't want to be sued than 'we can't figure out how to do it well'. I switched to a competitor due to this. Still have my Extend but not using it.
Yep, this is my intention also. I tried the new UI and it is even worse than that old UI except for one case. That is the discover view only showing one time slot is an improvement for SD, but not over EyeTV. Not showing the original episode date recorded was the final straw for me. And this new UI still has many you can only click, or only use the keyboard spots. I'll wait until its out of beta to make a final decision, but in my opinion, SD rigid use case of dumbed down one button usage is not my use case.

I make my decisions for what to watch based on information, not fancy graphic images. Therefore the removal of almost all information from the UI is not going to sustain me. Not being able to get broad picture of what is on tonight between 7pm and 10 pm (or any 3 or 4 hour time frame) is a deal breaker. Having pictures only is a deal breaker. Having to play wack-a-mole to find out anything is deal breaker.

With that said I understand that SD product is a valid use case for some and that SD wants to have the dumbed down fashionable graphical interface, but to have a poor usability and not handle the rest of us, means SD loses us. And that is their choice, I'm tired of arguing.

It seems like the SD interface is designed for people that all they do is watch TV. The graphic images are really in effect icons. And I guess if all you do all day long is watch TV, then you have the icons memorized. Even for the programs you don't normally watch. We do not watch TV except during down times, when sick, or whatever. So the Icons are meaningless. Not having program names at the top level will not work for us.

Now I don't care what you call the interface, grid guide or master plan for the galaxy. But, at least for my family, give us the option to get information at the top level or we won't be your customer. Period.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am

So the Icons are meaningless. Not having program names at the top level will not work for us
The titlecards should always contain the program name. If you find a titlecard that doesn't contain the program name (ie isn't actually a titlecard) please let us know.

Nick

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Postby JeffRand » Thu May 16, 2019 8:02 am

So the Icons are meaningless. Not having program names at the top level will not work for us
The titlecards should always contain the program name. If you find a titlecard that doesn't contain the program name (ie isn't actually a titlecard) please let us know.

Nick
I think you missed the point. You have to select each program in order to read the program name, one at a time. What good is that? And why always so defensive?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 am

It seems like the SD interface is designed for people that all they do is watch TV. The graphic images are really in effect icons. And I guess if all you do all day long is watch TV, then you have the icons memorized. Even for the programs you don't normally watch. We do not watch TV except during down times, when sick, or whatever. So the Icons are meaningless. Not having program names at the top level will not work for us.
I am a bit confused about this. Every imagine includes the name of the show. There's no need to memorize anything. Just read the name on the image. What prevents this?

edit: It's possible we're talking about different things, so I'm going to use images to explain.

Here's Discover Now.

As you can see, the name of the show is on each image. So the first row is Por siempre, which is highlighted and written down, but the rest of the row is The People's Court, Maury, Amanpour and Company, and Who Wants to be a Millionaire. All clearly written on the images.

Are those names not written on the images where you are?

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 am

Nick
I think you missed the point. You have to select each program in order to read the program name, one at a time. What good is that? And why always so defensive?
But you don't. That's the point. The name is on the image. You should be able to see every program name at a glance. Is that not your experience?

And please don't read defensiveness or any other emotion into things. That's just time wasting BS that isn't going to get tolerated at all.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

Nick
But you don't. That's the point. The name is on the image.
... and if you have the eyes of a teenager you can read the names on those images, if you don't, they're a blurry blob of color.

Designed on a monitor by a guy with teenage vision, intended for display on a 32" TV across the room for use by the legally blind.

Good Plan.

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Postby JeffRand » Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am

Nick
But you don't. That's the point. The name is on the image. You should be able to see every program name at a glance. Is that not your experience?
Ha ha, very funny. :roll:

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 am

... and if you have the eyes of a teenager you can read the names on those images, if you don't, they're a blurry blob of color.

Designed on a monitor by a guy with teenage vision, intended for display on a 32" TV across the room for use by the legally blind.

Good Plan.
In the example above, Por Siempre is literally bigger than the written out version below it.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am

Ha ha, very funny. :roll:
If you don't want to contribute to this discussion, please stop replying.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 am

Good Plan.
In the example above, Por Siempre is literally bigger than the written out version below it.
I can tell you right now if you guys don't write out the names of these items and display them in a high contrast area - like Por Siempre is - you're spinning your wheels. There isn't a sno balls chance of me reading ANY of those posters EXCEPT Por Siempre or the occasional poster with high contrast text that are few and far between.

You want feedback?

There's some.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 am

I can tell you right now if you guys don't write out the names of these items and display them in a high contrast area - like Por Siempre is - you're spinning your wheels. There isn't a sno balls chance of me reading ANY of those posters EXCEPT Por Siempre or the occasional poster with high contrast text that are few and far between.

You want feedback?

There's some.
Hm. Alright, fair enough. I don't expect this is something that will be fixed before going public release on the new UI, just because it's the same problem in the old UI as the new UI. In both cases, the name isn't listed unless selected. With that said, it may be worth looking into an accessibility setting specifically for this issue.

Jpsd1

Postby Jpsd1 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Hey Nate,

I have no problem with the current UI and have been using it for 3 years on a daily basis. I schedule recordings using the "Discover" section and have made the transition from a grid guide (WMC) without too much difficulty. I have also been testing the new UI for a few weeks and like the improvements.

Considering the problems others are experiencing in accepting the current situation has anyone considered the following as a compromise solution:

In the "Discover" section under the "Now" tab sort the icons by channel number instead of whatever algorithm is currently being used. That would retain the attractiveness of the icons while giving users desiring a grid guide something more familiar. I recognize your previous argument against channel numbers that are arbitrarily assigned by cable providers having no intrinsic value. Your position on that matter is on point, but unfortunately most of us utilizing cable TV for a number of years have come to erroneously believe those channel numbers and the order they appear in are important. I recognize this change would not constitute a "grid guide", but it might help those who cannot live without a grid guide make the transition from an "excel" spreadsheet to a more graphically pleasing interface.

You could even offer to sort by channel number or the current sort algorithm if some folks would rather keep it the way it is.

Just a thought.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm

In the "Discover" section under the "Now" tab sort the icons by channel number instead of whatever algorithm is currently being used.
We're certainly open to smart solutions. I'm not sure if this would do it for many of the major grid evangelists, because I think what they really want is the ability to see roughly 3 hours of several grouped together channels at a time. Arranging by channel number would group those channels the way they want, but wouldn't pool 3 hours of recordings together at once.

It would be interesting to see how people respond to a discover page that's ordered by channel and shows the next three hours of shows per channel grouped together like pods. I wonder how natural that would be to navigate.

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Thu May 16, 2019 9:13 pm

In the "Discover" section under the "Now" tab sort the icons by channel number instead of whatever algorithm is currently being used.
We're certainly open to smart solutions. I'm not sure if this would do it for many of the major grid evangelists, because I think what they really want is the ability to see roughly 3 hours of several grouped together channels at a time. Arranging by channel number would group those channels the way they want, but wouldn't pool 3 hours of recordings together at once.

It would be interesting to see how people respond to a discover page that's ordered by channel and shows the next three hours of shows per channel grouped together like pods. I wonder how natural that would be to navigate.
Yes ordering by channel number would be better, but not enough. I do prefer roughly 3 hours, ordered by channel number and text based, so I have more info available and don't waste time waiting for icons to load because I scroll quickly. My cable company puts channels in local, sports, news, educational, home shopping, children's, and movie groupings. I know the channel numbers for all of these things and can jump around to find what I want to watch quickly. Someone's changing list based on what they find interesting or popular or new is not efficient for me.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 am

Nick
But try scanning those names. Impossible! Different fonts, different contrast ratios, different locations, different sizes, different colors, etc.. These are icons and nothing more and recognization is by familiarly, sure you can figure it out, but that is not very friendly except to someone who spends an inordinate amount of time watching the offbeat programs.

Try Antiques Roadshow, no text. How about America's Got Talent, it is shown as AGT. How about Titan Games, totally blends into the background. This is all because these images are using logos, not text. Try reading "The Real Winning Edge". Too small, no color contrast, etc. I could go on and on. If you insist that the text is there you better hire a full time person to fix everything.

Return to “New UI”