New UI - SD tickles me

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
Karter

New UI - SD tickles me

Postby Karter » Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 am

I get a little chuckle as to how much SiliconDust defends and tries to sell people on the new SliceView Guide solution...

I apologize, but I feel it is may not be a good solution for all. It is has some nice features, but to me it seems cumbersome and hard to use and see the information I want. Plus, I am always having to reach for a mouse to operate it. I like using my remote but I can't just use that, I have to always have a mouse by my side to turn it off and on and/or navigate easier.

In your add you abase people who prefer the older grid style, by saying they don't like change, or say they feel it makes navigation faster and easier, whereas you disagree. I prefer the grid style for many reasons, and I am not opposed to change, if I feel the change is for the better. How do you make a wheel better??

So my solution is, why not simply allow the user a choice, the SliceView Guide or the Grid Guide as used in Kodi (to which you refer).
Problem solved !! ... everyone is happy and SiliconDust looks like they are bloody brilliant.

I want SiliconDust to be brilliant.

bruiserker

Re: New UI - SD tickles me

Postby bruiserker » Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 am

Completely agree. I also have issues with slice keeping up with me as I scroll. I have to wait for the images and info to load. It's pretty useless for me.

The blog post feels particularly condescending. From earlier discussions, and reading that blog post, they seem to be digging in their heels against a grid guide. They even locked a thread discussing it in the future features board. Isn't that the place something like that should be discussed?

lbedard@verizon.net

Postby lbedard@verizon.net » Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 am

Not impressed here either ...why put the time only on the recording portion of the UI makes no sense...still need time and the CHANNEL NUMBER in live tv, need last channel....etc.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm

I get a little chuckle as to how much SiliconDust defends and tries to sell people on the new SliceView Guide solution...

I apologize, but I feel it is may not be a good solution for all. It is has some nice features, but to me it seems cumbersome and hard to use and see the information I want. Plus, I am always having to reach for a mouse to operate it. I like using my remote but I can't just use that, I have to always have a mouse by my side to turn it off and on and/or navigate easier.
You should be able to do everything with a remote.

We confirmed a problem yesterday where the OK button doesn't work on some Windows remotes - it will be investigated on Monday.

If you find something that you can't navigate with a remote please let us know.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 pm

why put the time only on the recording portion of the UI makes no sense...still need time and the CHANNEL NUMBER in live tv, need last channel....etc.
The recorded episodes list includes both the channel number and the day it was recorded (or the time it was recorded if today).
The discover episodes list includes both the channel number and the day+time it is scheduled to air (or time only if today).

Nick

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Plus, I am always having to reach for a mouse to operate it. I like using my remote but I can't just use that, I have to always have a mouse by my side to turn it off and on and/or navigate easier.
I'd actually genuinely appreciate it if you could go more in depth with this. If you're talking about the weird remote bug we found the other day, that's one thing. But if even in the old version you still felt the need to go mouse, I'd really be interested in learning where you felt that need. In my opinion, this is very much a "lean-back" or "10 foot" interface, and is somewhat hostile to the mouse. If there are areas where you actively feel the need to use a mouse, we may need to rethink things.

JoelsPC
Device ID: 1040365E 10419C3B 10507DCB

Postby JoelsPC » Sat May 11, 2019 8:58 pm

In your add you abase people who prefer the older grid style, by saying they don't like change, or say they feel it makes navigation faster and easier, whereas you disagree. I prefer the grid style for many reasons, and I am not opposed to change, if I feel the change is for the better. How do you make a wheel better??

So my solution is, why not simply allow the user a choice, the SliceView Guide or the Grid Guide as used in Kodi (to which you refer).
Problem solved !! ... everyone is happy and SiliconDust looks like they are bloody brilliant.

I want SiliconDust to be brilliant.
Completely agree, SD is choosing to ignore what many are asking for. I love the hardware, have supported for many generations (probably what they are banking on). I'm glad I was a Kickstarter contributor (read: beta tester) because I would not pay for the current product as it exists. -Joel

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat May 11, 2019 9:35 pm

Completely agree, SD is choosing to ignore what many are asking for. I love the hardware, have supported for many generations (probably what they are banking on). I'm glad I was a Kickstarter contributor (read: beta tester) because I would not pay for the current product as it exists. -Joel
Hi Joe,

We track customer feedback and continually work hard to improve our products. Right now we are focused on getting the new UI architecture is polished for general release - this means bug reports are being actioned quickly but new features won't be scheduled until we have the current work complete.

Nick

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi Joe,

We track customer feedback and continually work hard to improve our products. Right now we are focused on getting the new UI architecture is polished for general release - this means bug reports are being actioned quickly but new features won't be scheduled until we have the current work complete.

Nick
I may not agree with their design choices, or how they communicate with those whose opinions differ, but I have the utmost respect for SD's commitment to working with their customers to resolve bugs.

SpencerC

Postby SpencerC » Sat May 11, 2019 10:05 pm

I find it funny the Nick completely ignored the gist of this post and cherry picked around the gist.........which is.......where is the damn grid that everyone expects and wants?

JoelsPC
Device ID: 1040365E 10419C3B 10507DCB

Postby JoelsPC » Sat May 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi Joe,

Nick
Hey Nick, trying to be constructive here, and not trying to poop on your parade (but)... What you guys have already accomplished is really good (for what you believe is the way to go). Your UI is VERY usable (I know you know that, and many love it) but the WAF is low here at my home. For now, I will sit back here quietly waiting for something else (which i also believe is something others are also hoping for). -Joel

srharville

Postby srharville » Sun May 12, 2019 4:32 am

I totally agree about the new UI, but I'm more frustrated than tickled and won't be using it. I cut the cord(satellite) when DirecTV "upgraded" their user interface to a tile format offering no choice to keep the grid guide. [removed by moderator - see forum rules] until somebody comes up with a better package that will merge my OTA & StreamingTV into one grid like Channels used to do with HD Premium. I'm still paying for channels dvr, but only to be able to record my OTA programs and skip commercials.
My advice to HomeRun: 1) Stop wasting your time on improving the user interface that looks and feels like the same POS that the cable/satellite companies force on their customers. 2) READ customer feedback and notice that customers like a GRID guide, and that it is absolutely the BEST method to navigate a program guide and see what is available to watch. 3) Spend your time developing your own grid guide (the slice sucks compared to a grid) so your customers don't have to pay for a subscription to Channels to be able to search and program OTA recording. 4) Make some kind of arrangement with at least a half dozen streaming TV providers to import their program schedule so that HDHR cord cutters can see the OTA and streaming programming on the SAME grid. 5) If anybody offers a piece of hardware that combines OTA and my choice of streamingTV programming in a grid format before you wise up, my Quattro will be replaced immediately by the market savvy competition.

Deihmos

Postby Deihmos » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 am

The Ui could do with a makeover. It is so cumbersome to use that I gave up. Now I just the Android Live channels and plex to record.
Last edited by Deihmos on Tue May 14, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 am

My advice to HomeRun: 1) Stop wasting your time on improving the user interface that looks and feels like the same POS that the cable/satellite companies force on their customers. 2) READ customer feedback and notice that customers like a GRID guide, and that it is absolutely the BEST method to navigate a program guide and see what is available to watch.
It's funny, because I consider the grid guide to BE the same POS that cable/satellite companies force on their customers.

Look everyone, we've said before we'd consider a grid guide if we could come up with a way to do it right, and I think we're still on that boat. We're not going to do anything with it for now, because our focus is on getting rid of bugs, not adding big new features. Once we've released, we'll start looking about the roughly 1 million feature requests, and start figuring out how to prioritize them all.

xnappo

Postby xnappo » Mon May 13, 2019 4:14 pm

So the patents have nothing to do with it? To be honest would be much happier to hear you can't afford the patent licensing fees and don't want to be sued than 'we can't figure out how to do it well'. I switched to a competitor due to this. Still have my Extend but not using it.

Return to “New UI”