Discover Movies Feedback

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
jasonic8

Discover Movies Feedback

Post by jasonic8 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm

I've just had the email about the NewUI - I had no idea it was available to test. So - in particular, I want to find and record HD Movies which will have to be from HD CHannels - where I am that's channels 101-110 roughly.

In the old WindowsPC interface, I could scroll through the list of Movies and see from the number before the picture loaded if something was on an HD channel- I'd do this rapidly and it would work. They seemed to be bunched together so it was passable - but I could miss some.

The new interface does not allow you to see at a glance which channel the movie is on. Furthermore, if I search for a channel number it reverts to displaying Shows, not Movies. Even if it did stay on Movies - it's a pain because I have to go through the HD channels individually - so it would be nice to specify a list or ranges: 101,102,103, 107 or 101-103,107.

At the moment this is a big step backwards for me from the old interface - and given what a disaster that was, this is quite an achievement.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Discover Movies Feedback

Post by nateb » Fri May 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Out of curiosity, how many channels will list SD movies that you otherwise want to keep? You could disable those SD channels so they never show up anywhere.

The_Jonathan
Device ID: 10715F9E

Post by The_Jonathan » Sat May 11, 2019 2:36 pm

It would be fun if the new search by channel would work on the tab that is currently viewed ( just show, or just movies)

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker » Sat May 11, 2019 10:08 pm

nateb wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:49 pm
Out of curiosity, how many channels will list SD movies that you otherwise want to keep? You could disable those SD channels so they never show up anywhere.
Ow! A bit harsh for a workaround? Is the switch back to shows a bug or by design? Meaning will there be a possible fix or feature update?

jasonic8

Post by jasonic8 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:26 am

Right - disabling the SD channels was always an option before too, but I didn't do it in case I wanted to stream SD to my phone or tablet over wifi. There are around 100 SD channels I think - and they show other stuff I might choose to record - but again, if a later HD broadcast was made then, ideally, the DVR would replace the SD recording with an HD version. I'm quite surprised after the years of feedback that these things are so hard to either grasp as requirements or put into the development cycle.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 am

jasonic8 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:26 am
Right - disabling the SD channels was always an option before too, but I didn't do it in case I wanted to stream SD to my phone or tablet over wifi. There are around 100 SD channels I think - and they show other stuff I might choose to record - but again, if a later HD broadcast was made then, ideally, the DVR would replace the SD recording with an HD version. I'm quite surprised after the years of feedback that these things are so hard to either grasp as requirements or put into the development cycle.
That's already how it happens. Our DVR tracks whether a recording is SD and replaces it with an HD version later.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am

nateb wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 am
jasonic8 wrote:
That's already how it happens. Our DVR tracks whether a recording is SD and replaces it with an HD version later.
I've been using the DVR since the first Kickstarter release and I didn't know it did that.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am

Ken.F wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am
nateb wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 am
jasonic8 wrote:
I've been using the DVR since the first Kickstarter release and I didn't know it did that.
Ack. Mea culpa. This is a feature we're talking about implementing that for some reason I misunderstood and thought was already in. We don't actually do this yet. With that said, you are quite right, this is a feature we should have and will be working to make happen.

jasonic8

Post by jasonic8 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:32 pm

So, if you know from the guide something will be broadcast in HD (which you must in order to do the replacement), that would imply that you could also have a switch in the Discover pages to only show HD titles. Both would be great additions - thank you for considering these.