Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 pm

This conversation has got me wondering about a new thing. I'm wondering how all of you guys use your DVR system in the first place. I ask, because it's honestly pretty rare for me to just randomly search for shows. Unless I'm testing something, I tend to set up all my recordings and spend almost all my time in the recorded area. The sole exception to that being when a sporting event is happening, and even then, I typically have a recording rule set up for those too.

That means that all my shows that I care about list as the very first things in discover, and a lot of times I'll just ignore the rest altogether. And the only other times I visit Discover is if I'm looking for a recommended show or new movies I can record.

So I guess my question is, is can you walk me through an average day for you? Do you spend a lot of time browsing for things to watch? Or perhaps do you have a big list of things you want to watch, you just don't bother recording them?

edit: Secondary question: Let's say we built a grid guide, but then reordered the channels so that all the ones that had recording rules attached were listed first. Would you find that a good thing or annoying, because you are used to sorting through the channels in a particular order?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:10 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 pm
This conversation has got me wondering about a new thing. I'm wondering how all of you guys use your DVR system in the first place. I ask, because it's honestly pretty rare for me to just randomly search for shows. Unless I'm testing something, I tend to set up all my recordings and spend almost all my time in the recorded area. The sole exception to that being when a sporting event is happening, and even then, I typically have a recording rule set up for those too.

That means that all my shows that I care about list as the very first things in discover, and a lot of times I'll just ignore the rest altogether. And the only other times I visit Discover is if I'm looking for a recommended show or new movies I can record.

So I guess my question is, is can you walk me through an average day for you? Do you spend a lot of time browsing for things to watch? Or perhaps do you have a big list of things you want to watch, you just don't bother recording them?
We have Plenty of Space and tuners in my household.... With the DVR I am currently using I set it up to record all New Series on the main Broadcast channels. ABC CBS NBC etc during Prime Time …. This way I do not care about titles or missing any new shows. … For Movies we record by Actor Genre and Titles.... but many times I simply scroll through the guide if nothing is on and look for something that might catch my eye.... usually Prime time of the grid guide.

I am too old to go scrolling through pictures … just let the DVR do the work.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:47 pm

I scroll thru the Movies tab to see what I'd like to record but I'd like to be able to limit the search by channel so I can see at a glance all the movies TCM is showing in the next 2 weeks.

I'd also like to be able record like NYPlayer and record all new series and movies by actor or genre.

I also like to see the channel icons so I can record movies on channels that have no commercials like HDNet and avoid movies on AMC.

tboggs13

Post by tboggs13 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 pm

I think the key is that Discover needs more filters. I would like to search by "New Series" or "New Season", but I would also be happy if I could type S1E1 in the search box and get all the new series in the guide. I hear about new series way before they finally release or show up on the guide and by then I may have forgotten the name because I don't watch commercials. Just makes it quick and easy to scan the shows.

Overal I think the concept is genius, I wasted a lot of time on grids with a ton of channels. When I found HDHomeRun, I realized that generally I just set it and forget it, only watching recorded shows. I don't watch channels, I watch content. I don't watch live events, so date and time are irrelevant to me other than the window in which to find a new show.

I would love a Discover that lets you filter down to what you want. Start with Genre > (Action/Comedy/Drama) > (Movie/TV Show) > (First Run, Repeat, Premium[HBO,Showtime]), etc.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm

I may be a young 36 yo but I too grew up most of my early years with printed TV guide, channel 1 grid guide and recording my shows on a VCR. That is what I have always been used to. However even when I used WMC for 10 years I rarely ever used the guide.

I always learn about new shows from friends or the internet. So I almost always spend my time in the Recorded TV unless I am using Discover to search for a show I already know the name of.

The main things I would like to see improvements on or the recorded section and the Movie section. Being able to sort movies by genre would be nice, but since I don’t haven’t any premium movie channels I don’t really care about channel, but understand my someone would.

For me Recorded could use the most work. I have stuff that we recorded 3 years ago that I don’t even remember that we have because it’s buried way back in the Shows/Recent section.

Would be nice to have a new category for children’s shows and cartoons. Maybe one for prime time shows. Even better would be a section that shows only things that have at least one episode we haven’t watched. That way the unmatched shows come to the surface.

Another separate thought would be to have a Premieres section in Discover that way if there is a new show coming out in the next two weeks or a new season of an existing show premieres you can see that easily. For me I find new shows set them to record and forget about finding that shows agin except in the recorded section.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm

GetMatt wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm

For me Recorded could use the most work. I have stuff that we recorded 3 years ago that I don’t even remember that we have because it’s buried way back in the Shows/Recent section.

Great idea. Right now you can only see 7 movies at a time. Make it so you can see all your movies like on the Discover tab where you can see 21 movies a time.
GetMatt wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Another separate thought would be to have a Premieres section in Discover that way if there is a new show coming out in the next two weeks or a new season of an existing show premieres you can see that easily. For me I find new shows set them to record and forget about finding that shows agin except in the recorded section.
Would love to be able to have a filter where you can see all the new Premiers.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:21 pm

nateb wrote:

edit: Secondary question: Let's say we built a grid guide, but then reordered the channels so that all the ones that had recording rules attached were listed first. Would you find that a good thing or annoying, because you are used to sorting through the channels in a particular order?
Personally i think discover should be opposite what you described as those belong in recorded/tasks (and "upcoming" ?) as i already discovered those so don't need to see them as they will record.

Jpsd1

Post by Jpsd1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm

After trying the new "Discover" section today I see a couple of things that are a step back to me. I periodically hide shows I will never watch making it very easy to find new content in the discover shows section. Now when you scroll through discover and hide a show instead of returning to where you left off it jumps back to the top of the listed content requiring you to scroll back down past content you have already reviewed. The same thing occurs when using discover to find or hide movie and sports content.

I have learned to use the slice guide as a kind of "grid guide" by taking the time out a couple of hours and scrolling through the channels which lets you see what is coming up on the channels that are on the screen. Now when you try to scroll with the slice guide open a couple of hours on one channel, the guide pops back in after you scroll through one more channel. Certainly not an improvement over what we already had.

I am a 70 year old guy with a mostly non computer literate wife who both grew up with nothing but grid guides but once we got the hang of the discover section my wife and I have managed to schedule shows with the HDHR DVR software on a regular basis. Please don't take steps back to please those who hate the software without keeping in mind those of us who have managed to successfully use the software on a regular basis.

I like the comments from "GetMatt", "TBoggs", and "grumpygramp" because their suggestions would all improve the usability of the current discover section. I must add that some of us do care about "channel" since in our case we have one HBO and one Showtime channel that are not DRM copy once. Nate, I recognize that a lot of users are cord cutters but please try to keep us cable folks in mind since some of us live too far from the transmitters to receive OTA signals.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Jpsd1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm

I have learned to use the slice guide as a kind of "grid guide" by taking the time out a couple of hours and scrolling through the channels which lets you see what is coming up on the channels that are on the screen. Now when you try to scroll with the slice guide open a couple of hours on one channel, the guide pops back in after you scroll through one more channel. Certainly not an improvement over what we already had.

The slice guide really needs to work like it used to. You could advance the slice 24 hours ahead and check several channels very quickly.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 pm

I noticed the new UI has been pushed to my Win10 machine. I am using the HDHomeRun Prime. I watch using my monitor on my computer. Here are my initial findings. When watching a recorded show and I move the mouse to fast forward during commercials, the mouse disappears when I click the FF button. If I move the mouse the cursor reappears. So I have to guess where my mouse cursor is unless I move the mouse. Also after a recording is finished, I return to my recordings by hitting the bottom far right button that looks like three horizontal bars. Before the update, hitting this button would take me directly back to the show I was just watching so I can easily delete it. Now it just takes me to the main recorded section and I have to sift thru my recordings to find what I just watched in order to delete it. I assume this is an oversight because it makes no sense to make someone go find the show they were just watching. And lastly in the recorded section, if I have multiple recordings of the same show and I select that show, the font size showing what is available to watch is HUGE. I can only see a maximum of five episodes listed where as it showed probably 10 or more before having to scroll down. In the top right corner hitting the gear icon to bring me to settings I see a new option to have the starting page and it is set to Live TV, but no way to change it from what I can see. I thought one feature was to be able to set your starting page to your recordings?

I think it would be helpful to list out what changes has been deployed so we have a better understanding of what improvements there are supposed to be.

Thanks,

Spencer

JoelsPC
Device ID: 1040365E 10419C3B 10507DCB

Post by JoelsPC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 am

"As an 'older' user, I grew up using grid guide whether in Newspaper or TV Guide mag and later cable box. What you are describing above sounds like a nightmare to me. I could probably scroll through TitanTV guide 10x faster to find what I want. I HATE how Netflix displays shows. I can scroll for 30min and never find a thing to watch. I end up using the Search feature to just type in something. Once in awhile, Netflix MIGHT understand what I want. Personally I find Netflix very frustrating to use.

The only feature I have ever used in Discover is the search feature to find a show to record. Even that can be frustrating if I have a typo or don't know how to spell a show title."

"I try to like the UI but I too find it frustrating to use."

I couldn't agree more. . . -Joel

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 am

nateb wrote:
I'm wondering how all of you guys use your DVR system in the first place. I ask, because it's honestly pretty rare for me to just randomly search for shows. Unless I'm testing something, I tend to set up all my recordings and spend almost all my time in the recorded area. The sole exception to that being when a sporting event is happening, and even then, I typically have a recording rule set up for those too.

First of all, on how I use it, I normally don't. It's not very useful to me. I check online with tvguide for or tvline to see what new shows are coming on, then search using "Discover and add them to "Tasks".
Second: Answering your "Secondary Question", If you give us a Grid Guide, your "Reordered Channels" would be acceptable. Would like to be able to find a channel in listing easily. Also most DVR software I've used, has a option to see upcoming recordings, which is quite useful. I don't know if what you are suggesting would accomplish this function.

Would really like you to take a POLL on how many users want access to a grid guide. I think you'll find a majority there.

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 am

Jpsd1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Please don't take steps back to please those who hate the software without keeping in mind those of us who have managed to successfully use the software on a regular basis.
While I am one of the people that really doesn't like the existing interface, I can completely see why some folks like it. So, I am with you that they need to keep much of what they have already designed, just add more options. That is why I said "The key to making a popular application is to allow customization and options so that people with different ideas and ways of thinking can find something they are comfortable with."

timstephens24

Post by timstephens24 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 am

The Now section really needs to be pulled out from "Discover" and be a main (and the first) tab you get when coming into the app (or at least a setting to go there instead of Live). The UI here is a little incosistent where on my iPad I get 5 x 4 1/2 show icons but on the NVIDIA Shield I get 5 x 3. On the iPad it seems like a little too much but on the Shield I think it's a little too big. I would prefer to see it around a 4x4, and make the tooltip show up permanently instead of just when you select it (better on touch devices and all around). I would also add the channel icon to the tooltip on the left side (I disagree with the opinion from Nate that we shouldn't care what channel it's on, but I don't think we care about the channel number anymore).

Another issue I have with Now is that I'm using that to find a show to watch now not in the future. When I click on something in Now it should start playing. Instead it takes me to the normal screen I'd use to record something. I don't like that at all, since I have to scroll up to TITLE, scroll up again to Record Series, and then go over to Watch Now and click that. It needs to be Live TV focused and not DVR recording focused. From there the channel should just start playing without the slice but the bottom bar should be there, but more centered and less 1990's style. Instead the slice screen stays up and bottom bar stays up until I hit the back button to make it go away. At least give it a timeout, but having to click something again... ugh so much clicking just to get to watch something.

The Now section should have subtabs similar to what's already there in Discover; Shows, Movies, and Sports. I'd say the first subtab would be "All" with all the channels, then "Favorites" which uses the favorites you can set on channels from the web UI of the HDHomeRun, and then Shows, Movies, Sports, Kids, etc etc.

The Discover tab itself should be similar to how it is now with the Shows, Movies, Sports, Kids, etc subtabs with whatever algorithm is going on to recommend us shows. It would make more sense for Discover to be the recommendation space and not the choose something that's on now to watch space plus also recommendations, but mashed together is a weird mess of randomness.

Since we're just focusing on Discover I'll generally leave it at that and not talk about how there really should be a guide tab right next to the Now tab to go along with everything else... Or talk about the bottom bar UI that just doesn't fit at all... Or how the bottom bar should be separated from the Slice...

neil459

Post by neil459 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 am

JeffRand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:23 pm
nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:03 pm
JeffRand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm
Is there any rhyme or reason as to how the programs are displayed? Or are they just displayed in random order?

Is it SD's intent to make this the alternative to a traditional grid guide? I guess I'm just old fashioned, as I don't need pretty pictures to find things to watch.
The order is based on a few different things. In particular, if you've set a recording, that goes higher. New and interesting go higher. Primary purpose is to help in (as the title suggests) Discovery. Ideally, this should group everything you want to watch at any particular time in the top three rows or so, so finding things is far less work. In other words, it's not so much about the pretty pictures as the fact that we're sorting in an attempt to list the best things to see at any given half hour.
Ugh, who decides what are the "best things to see"? No wonder I can't figure out what it is trying to show me. In addition to being old, I guess I have different tastes as to what is interesting and good to watch. Geez, I give up. I guess I'll keep my WMC running until I die. :lol:
Yep me too. This should be really simple, show recorded first in alphabetic order, then show channels marked as favorites in alphabetic order, then all of the rest in alphabetic order.