Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by Thunderthud » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:26 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm
And, at the risk of making people hyperventilate, the channel number and network should not matter. Who cares if the show is on CBS or ABC? What you care about is the show, not the random distributor. When Brooklyn 99 changed channels, did it suddenly become better or worse?.

As I mentioned above, I care about what network or channel a show is on. Example, Big Bang Theory appears tonight in
Discover now at 8PM. However, that show icon looks like the first run show, but it's a rerun on a local fox channel. I would like to know by looking at this guide, that it's a first run. Which if it indicated CBS, it might be at least this season. Also, some of these channels are SD not HD, like Cozi, MyTV, etc. (The fuzzy channels) So, I CARE! But, thanks anyway.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:27 pm

JeffRand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:23 pm
Ugh, who decides what are the "best things to see"? No wonder I can't figure out what it is trying to show me. In addition to being old, I guess I have different tastes as to what is interesting and good to watch. Geez, I give up. I guess I'll keep my WMC running until I die. :lol:
Highest priority is given to what you already have set to record (this is considered the single best thing). Then completely new shows and movies. Then new seasons. If you are using WMC for your recording, Discover probably isn't the best for you, because your shows aren't guaranteed to be at the top.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Thunderthud wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:26 pm

As I mentioned above, I care about what network or channel a show is on. Example, Big Bang Theory appears tonight in
Discover now at 8PM. However, that show icon looks like the first run show, but it's a rerun on a local fox channel. I would like to know by looking at this guide, that it's a first run. Which if it indicated CBS, it might be at least this season. Also, some of these channels are SD not HD, like Cozi, MyTV, etc. (The fuzzy channels) So, I CARE! But, thanks anyway.
Yup, and like I said, it would probably be nice to have show data on Discover, because people are using channel number as shorthand for guessing whether something is SD/HD and new/rerun. Instead of using a channel to guess, why not just straight up tell you in Discover whether it's new or old, HD or not?

edit: It's possible we are agreeing. If you think discover should have those features built in, then I think I agree. You should not be forced to click through or guess about whether something is HD or SD, new or old.

edit2: And, for what it's worth, that's partly why we are having this conversation. This is basically v.2 of Discover. Your input will help us get to v.3.

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:34 pm

nateb wrote:
I'm actually preparing a blog post about this very topic. The short answer is that grid guide does everything... but it does everything poorly.
I disagree entirely. WMC has a number of things that allow you customize the grid in a variety of ways. For instance, it is easy to limit the channels to those you use regularly or are your favorites. For me, knowing what channel the program is on and when it is on, is more important. The key to making a popular application is to allow customization and options so that people with different ideas and ways of thinking can find something they are comfortable with.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:41 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:30 pm
Yup, and like I said, it would probably be nice to have show data on Discover, because people are using channel number as shorthand for guessing whether something is SD/HD and new/rerun. Instead of using a channel to guess, why not just straight up tell you in Discover whether it's new or old, HD or not?
Well, I believe that a grid guide would give that information that we need. An large icon is just a distraction that takes up a lot of room that could be used for for useful information.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 pm

I still do not find the Discover section that useful how are the pictures sorted by channel or Title ? ….. It just does not provide enough info.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm

JeffRand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:34 pm
nateb wrote:
I'm actually preparing a blog post about this very topic. The short answer is that grid guide does everything... but it does everything poorly.
I disagree entirely. WMC has a number of things that allow you customize the grid in a variety of ways. For instance, it is easy to limit the channels to those you use regularly or are your favorites. For me, knowing what channel the program is on and when it is on, is more important. The key to making a popular application is to allow customization and options so that people with different ideas and ways of thinking can find something they are comfortable with.
This is going to sound like a troll post, but I promise it's not. What you've described to me sounds like Windows gave you a broken program, and then they gave you some tools to make it less broken. Basically, "Yes, the WMC grid is terrible when you first get it, but hey, after a bunch of work, it's great!" That shouldn't be how a good app is. A good app should start out really good in the first place and perhaps include customization to get more personal.

Let me ask, and let me assure you I'm being genuinely serious about this because I want to make the app as good as it can be, why is it that you want to know what channel a show is on? I understand wanting to know when it's on. You don't want to miss a show. But if the app could magically read your mind and turn on the show when it's ready, why would it matter what channel it's on?

mchias13
Device ID: 131D4055

Post by mchias13 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Nate, I like the way discover is now. It works for me to find shows to record, ala Netflix.

But one example for me would be for movies. If I record a movie it's to archive it. I want to record from a non-commercial interrupting or editing channel.

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:59 pm

I noticed some Picture Icons missing from Movies …

But it does have a picture when you open up Movies ...

This is the non-Beta Version ….

Last edited by NYPlayer on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:01 pm

NYPlayer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 pm
I still do not find the Discover section that useful how are the pictures sorted by channel or Title ? ….. It just does not provide enough info.
Neither. They are first sorted by recording. Then by new shows. Then new seasons, I believe. The point is to help people discover. I'm definitely getting the sense we need some kind of FAQ explaining how Discover sorting works. Partly because it was all sorted out before I even got here, and I always forget.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:06 pm

mchias13 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Nate, I like the way discover is now. It works for me to find shows to record, ala Netflix.

But one example for me would be for movies. If I record a movie it's to archive it. I want to record from a non-commercial interrupting or editing channel.
Hm, interesting. That is a pretty valid reason to want to know the channel. Since I come from a mainly OTA background, those sorts of channels don't really exist for me.

I wonder if in v.3 we had some kind of box that updated as you scrolled around the page that included a summary of whatever you where highlighting, plus a series of little boxes, like you see on HBO movies, that indicate important things. They'd include New/Rerun, HD/SD, Commercial Free, nudity. :) Well, maybe not the last one.

Then in theory, if you were on the Movies or Shows tab, you could even filter by those boxes to guarantee getting the right show.

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:38 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm
This is going to sound like a troll post, but I promise it's not. What you've described to me sounds like Windows gave you a broken program, and then they gave you some tools to make it less broken. Basically, "Yes, the WMC grid is terrible when you first get it, but hey, after a bunch of work, it's great!" That shouldn't be how a good app is. A good app should start out really good in the first place and perhaps include customization to get more personal.

Let me ask, and let me assure you I'm being genuinely serious about this because I want to make the app as good as it can be, why is it that you want to know what channel a show is on? I understand wanting to know when it's on. You don't want to miss a show. But if the app could magically read your mind and turn on the show when it's ready, why would it matter what channel it's on?
Have you and the rest of the guys at SD actually used WMC? I mean really use it. There is no work involved in customizing the grid. It is all right there from the get go. It is all built right into the interface, no programming knowledge needed. Even my elderly mother figured it out on her own and she couldn't even use a mouse.

Anyway, to answer your question, I want to see what channel the program is on because I know which channels do what. A picture doesn't tell me if they are going to provide a movie with tons of commercials or present it in standard definition, or any number of other issues like some other language. When I see the channel, I know what they provide.

I get that you guys are trying to provide the most basic simple interface, but TV for dummies isn't going to cut it for everyone.

dialitup

Post by dialitup » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:40 pm

I really do appreciate the clock. That was long overdue!

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:06 pm
I wonder if in v.3 we had some kind of box that updated as you scrolled around the page that included a summary of whatever you where highlighting, plus a series of little boxes, like you see on HBO movies, that indicate important things. They'd include New/Rerun, HD/SD, Commercial Free, nudity. :) Well, maybe not the last one.

Then in theory, if you were on the Movies or Shows tab, you could even filter by those boxes to guarantee getting the right show.
As an 'older' user, I grew up using grid guide whether in Newspaper or TV Guide mag and later cable box. What you are describing above sounds like a nightmare to me. I could probably scroll through TitanTV guide 10x faster to find what I want. I HATE how Netflix displays shows. I can scroll for 30min and never find a thing to watch. I end up using the Search feature to just type in something. Once in awhile, Netflix MIGHT understand what I want. Personally I find Netflix very frustrating to use.

The only feature I have ever used in Discover is the search feature to find a show to record. Even that can be frustrating if I have a typo or don't know how to spell a show title.

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:35 pm

GGRussell wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm
nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:06 pm

As an 'older' user, I grew up using grid guide whether in Newspaper or TV Guide mag and later cable box. What you are describing above sounds like a nightmare to me. I could probably scroll through TitanTV guide 10x faster to find what I want. I HATE how Netflix displays shows. I can scroll for 30min and never find a thing to watch. I end up using the Search feature to just type in something. Once in awhile, Netflix MIGHT understand what I want. Personally I find Netflix very frustrating to use.

The only feature I have ever used in Discover is the search feature to find a show to record. Even that can be frustrating if I have a typo or don't know how to spell a show title.
I try to like the UI but I too find it frustrating to use.